I can't take this shit from my next door neighbour anymore!

LoraLoo

Pregnant with a Rainbow
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm actually sat here crying now because i have just HAD ENOUGH.

Bit of a long story but will try and keep it brief.

In May 2009 our next door neighbour- a roofer, said he would re-roof our roof and our new extention (not built then) for £4,000. He said we could pay him bit by bit as and when we could afford it.

In the space of about 18 months we paid him £3,200, we withheld the final £800 for when he had done the extention roof (a slate roof and flat fibreglass kitchen roof and flat dormas)

The extention was complete in Jan 2011. He came and fibreglassed the kitchen roof-COMPLETELY wrong, the insulation is wrong, he put the roof on the wrong way :wacko: At the same time he felted the roof which would be slated.

We complained about the flat roof, he said he would sort it. He then said he would have to sort us a new price out for the extention :shock: (despite the fact he had already done one roof and felted the other?) we said he had quoted us 4k, he said that did not include the extention. He went mad and said he was going to kill DH :shrug:

tHE NEXT DAY WE HAD THE SCAFFOLDING COMPANY ON THE PHONE SAYING HE HAD DEMANDED IT BE TAKEN DOWN AS IT WAS PARTLY ON HIS LAND. wE SAID WE HAD ONLY JUST GOT THE SCAFFOLDING AND SO WOULDNT BE PAYING FOR IT as we hadnt used it for what we needed. The next day the scaffolding came down and things were stolen from our property- a friends Acrows, my husbands ladders, and a petrol strimmer.

A few threats occured on his side, when about a week later it came to blows on the drive way. I calmly told him that the figure he original quoted us WAS 4k, that i had witnessed it, that DH has asked umpteen times, and that he had had over 2 years to discuss this with us if this was the case.

He ended up by saying that for an extra 1k- so 5k total, he would sort out the kitchen roof, slate the extention, get our scaffolding back and all the missing equipment that had been stolen (either by him or scaffolding company im still not sure) As he had phoned round every single roofing company in the area we had little choice. I told him we did not have a spare 1k and he told us we could continue the agreement by there we paid in installments. We agreed.

Roofs went on,nothing was done about kitchen roof, no lead was supplied with the roof, and to cut a long story short- its a mess. We have leaks in almost every room, the roof is unsightly, the whole kitchen roof needs to come off and half of the slating.

Time after time DH went over, very calmly, to try and get the matter sorted, he came once and said the leaks were fixed and then refused to come again.

April 2012, we recieved a letter stating we had til the end of May to pay £1,800 or he would be passing the debt to debt collectors. We wrote in return with photographs explaining why he wasnt getting the remaining £1,800.

Thats when the threats upped another level- threatening to kill DH in front of my 3 year old and 7 year old on 3 occassions, almost running DH off the road in his pick up van. Also saying he is going to rip our roof off and that we will be sorry, called me a slag! We have called police on each occassion and roofer has signed an harrassment warning saying not to contact us directly or indirectly. 1 hour after signing it he contacted DH's boss asking him to take money out of his wages :dohh:

Last month he put a circular saw through our kitchen roof. We didnt know this until DH went into kitchen at 4am and found it completely flooded :nope: ruined the new floor and some kitchen units. Called police, of course he denied it, then laughed when DH was up on roof in pissing down rain trying to sort it saying 'Need an umbrella? Give me some money then!' and laughing.

Today, more threats. I cant take it no more, ive had enough, police cant do anything as theres never any witness or proof. They suggested CCTV but we cant have it pointing on to his drive way:dohh: which is where he makes the threats.

Both trading standards and CAB hsve been involved for about 12 months.

DH is wanting to go over there and kill him or do something back and I have had to keep stopping him and try and talk sense into him. So far its worked but i cant help think that if the police cant do anything then why shouldnt he, he's just being left to get away with it and its not fair. My daughter has water running into electric sockets, theres a leak in the bathroom, about 4 in the kitchen, all the paints flaked off the rooms. Ive just, had enough :cry::cry:

Have included a few pics but theres so many i cant put them all on, theres broken slates, slates hanging off, paint peeling off the flat roofs, the list goes on and on :nope:

Attachments

• roof 001.jpg
    roof 001.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 24
  • roof 002.jpg
    roof 002.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 19
  • roof 004.jpg
    roof 004.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 20
  • roof 006.jpg
    roof 006.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 20
  • roof 007.jpg
    roof 007.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 15

Attachments

• roof 034.jpg
    roof 034.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 11
  • roof 039.jpg
    roof 039.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 11
  • roof 059.jpg
    roof 059.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 7
  • roof 060.jpg
    roof 060.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 6
  • roof 084.jpg
    roof 084.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 8
omg
Thats terrible!

I dont know what to say or do but can you report him as a tradesman to trading standards?

omg
Thats terrible!

I dont know what to say or do but can you report him as a tradesman to trading standards?

Seems little they can do they said they are only there to give legal advice? :wacko: Worst part is he has seen the pics and looks at the roof every day and STILL wants paying?! Our daughters were best friends too. When my daughter (11) came down the morning he cut through our roof she just burst into tears, even shes had enough, poor kid waited ages for her own room and now she cant even use it- none of the elctrics anyway, we had to pull her out AT xMAS AND SHE SLEPT IN OUR ROOM. We had xmas dinner surrounded by buckets xx

what about writing to watchdog?

bit of a long shot but you have nothing left to do!
could you get legal advice - free half hour from a solicitor?

:hugs:

what about writing to watchdog?

bit of a long shot but you have nothing left to do!
could you get legal advice - free half hour from a solicitor?

:hugs:

Thanks- a few people have said we should contact watch dog or rogue traders. At first i was a bit embarrassed about telling people everything thats gone on but i have come to realise that we have nothing to be ashamed of- its him. Will look into solicitor too, thanks for that. Its not like we are the only ones either CAB said in the last couple of months they have had several other complaints x

Have u been documenting everything? Keep a diary of the threats andanythibg else u can. Get lega advice and bring as much as u can statements tht show pay.
Any of these agreements in paper?
Tbh it does sound like the only way to resolve is to take matters to court. Bt word of mputh will only gp sp far. And tbh u agreement of payment in installments might b read wrong.. Eg u agreed payment in installments thwn u stopped.. Idk tho so dnt take any of this bit to stop matters take a legal route. And document ALL talks good or bad. Try and get cctv

If there have been other ppl (assuming same guy) then do some research and find them as bad wpranshop will look better legally of there are more

Have u been documenting everything? Keep a diary of the threats andanythibg else u can. Get lega advice and bring as much as u can statements tht show pay.
Any of these agreements in paper?
Tbh it does sound like the only way to resolve is to take matters to court. Bt word of mputh will only gp sp far. And tbh u agreement of payment in installments might b read wrong.. Eg u agreed payment in installments thwn u stopped.. Idk tho so dnt take any of this bit to stop matters take a legal route. And document ALL talks good or bad. Try and get cctv

Been keeping a diary since about Jan when the threats started, police also said we can have a copy of the statements, and trading standards have said we can have a log of all the phone calls.

No agreements in paper- recieved no paperwork what so ever and i dont think he has put any of the money we have him through the books. The only thing we have is the letter he sent us saying that we still owe him £1800.

Just looking at CCTV now, seeing as we cant having it pointing at his drive im looking for one that at least has good audio on it so will hopefully pick up his voice. Thanks for replying xx

ETA: Looked into Small Claims Court, its £120, so going to have to try and find it from somewhere. Only thing is I know it wont stop him, he'll never stop, he's a bully, but we still need to do it out of principle, he can't be left to get away with it. I just want someone to tell him and make him understand that what he has done to us is wrong x

What about bank statements.. Tht will show u have regurally paid him. Good luck with small claims.. I hope they can sort out a fair agreement for u. I have no experience so cannt comment. Make sure u present ur solicitor with this diary. Also there will b evidence of when.u contacted the police on separate occasions.

What about bank statements.. Tht will show u have regurally paid him. Good luck with small claims.. I hope they can sort out a fair agreement for u. I have no experience so cannt comment. Make sure u present ur solicitor with this diary. Also there will b evidence of when.u contacted the police on separate occasions.

Yes we can get copies of all bank statements, thanks hun, think roofer is well known to the courts to so hoping that goes in our favour! x

Oh my goodness hun! That is absolutely disgusting, I really don't understand how people like that think they can make a living by causing such devastation.

Just a thought, but there's a programme on BBC1 called The Cowboy Trap - maybe you could apply to go on and they will hunt him down and help make your home safe again. There's a link to some information here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/beonashow/cowboy_trap_series3

I really hope you get it all sorted soon love, you really don't deserve to be treated like this xxx

Wow, that's absolutely disgusting! Worst thing is - They're not even just a dodgey roofer, they're your neighbours! I don't know how I'd manage to live next to people that would do this!

I'd definitely report them, get CCTV ... Maybe with sound to record any threats? It's worth a shot :( Have you phoned trading standards to see what they say? Have the police made any more reccommendations? Did you sign a contract with this guy?

Bless you, i hope things get worked out soon babe. x

I just read that you don't have a contract, then where does he get off demanding £1800?!?!... If you signed nothing! No. xx

That's disgusting! I'd go to every TV show that are about things like that - Rogue Traders, Watchdog and that Cowboy Builders. It's worth a shot. Especially if he's already known to the courts then there must be others he's done it to.X

you need to get legal advice asap. its not fair to live with all of this shot, and off your neighbour too!
dont give him a penny more, stick to your guns and take his sorry arse to small claims. its horrible to be in this situation but you dont deserve this.
keep logging everything, contact the police over everything and try getting in contact with them shows. (((hugs)))

Thanks everyone. I wouldn't have had any qualms paying him the rest of the money if he had just sorted the leaks and problems out. But to then cut through our roof knowing I have 4 children in the house, one of them a small baby? Just horrible :nope: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->