I don't know what to do...

Tabs

Mummy to Morgan & Niamh!
Reaction score
OK so this may come out as a long rambled mess as my head is all over the place with Morgan at the minute. I have a few concerns and problems with her at the minute and so I'm just looking for some advice.

So she's 11 weeks old today and in a lot of areas is developing well... she smiles a lot (when she's in the right mood!) and we've even come close to a couple of proper giggles, she's babbles and tries "talking" to us well (again, when she's in the right mood), but then there's a few things I would have expected her to do now, which she isn't even close to trying to do.

She has absolutely NO interest whatsoever in any of the toys she's got. Every day I try and encourage her to try grabbing out for things, but she doesn't even move her arms even a bit when I hold stuff near her. Her hearing seems ok as she responds to us talking to her(and her newborn screening was normal) however, if we make a noise slightly out of her line of sight, she doesn't even acknowledge that she's heard anything, let alone attempt to try and look to where the sound's coming from??

She gets bored ridiculously quickly, and screams the place down most of the day, and th eonly thing that will really pacify her is to pick her up and walk around the house with her. As soon as you sit down with her, the screaming starts again! She's extremely fidgety in her sleep and her arms and legs are constantly on the move.... so much so that she's woken herself up the last few nights and so has completely broken her routine (she had been sleeping right through the night from 10pm-7am ish for almost the last 4 weeks!)

She's not having as much of her milk as she normally does the last week or so... she usually has 5 bottles of 6oz a day, although she didn't always finish them all. This last week, I've been lucky to get 3-4oz down her at a time, and she's still only having 5 bottles a day... she also sips about 1-2oz of water during the day too.

She's quite obviously getting frustrated and bored.... but how do you entertain a child who just doesn't want to be entertained???!!!! We even took her into the ELC at the weekend to let her have a look at all the toys to see if there was something that caught her eye, but she just wasn't interested in any of it!

The only thing that will occupy her is a programme called "Boo" on CBeebies that's on for 10 mins at 7.45am!! As soon as she hears the theme tune, she sits perfectly still and talks at the TV!!

So any ideas??? What do I do with her??? I feel like such a shite mum that I can't make her happy and entertained.

Ally is a little younger (exactly a week!) but he isn't interested in his toys at all yet. He likes the TV and our faces and that's it. I don't think it's unusual for them not to be interested in toys yet. They seem a lot bigger to us I think...and they still are very little.

I took Ally to a baby group and even though he was a lot younger than any of the others there, he seemed to enjoy looking at the older children. I'm hoping to go to some other groups with him fairly soon, maybe you could go to some groups with Morgan? If only to talk to some other Mums and get some reassurance. If you're worried, I'd ask your HV too - they're there to help after all.

:hugs:

Some babies are far more interested in people and faces than toys. It was a while before Sam started grabbing things or showed any interest in them at all (now there's no stopping him and everything gets picked up and put in his mouth!) One of his friends (who is the same age) isn't that bothered about toys though - but he's happy to sit and watch people.

With the hearing, if you drop something or bang something loudly behind her - or where she can't see you - does she jump? (not suggesting you do it intentionally but I was always dropping noisy things by accident when Sam was just about to fall asleep :laugh2:). If young babies can't see something, as far as they're concerned they don't exist - so if you cover your face or hide behind something they think you have gone and don't know to look for you.

Will she sit and watch you if you're doing things? Sam's always hated just sitting somewhere - but he's fine in his chair if I'm drying my hair, hanging washing up etc (I talk to him all the time while I'm doing it - or sing badly...poor boy :rofl:) He still gets bored easily now if we're not actually doing things, but now he's a bit bigger he will entertain himself on the floor with toys for quite a while.

Not sure about the milk, sorry...but a few other people have mentioned their babies taking less than usual in each feed too. If she's gaining weight ok I wouldn't worry but might be worth speaking to your HV or doctor if she's still having less milk in a few days x

I agree with Sam's mum.

Developmentally, she's not even really able to track with her eyes yet, so having a stationary face to look at and explore is far more interesting than a toy that moves much to quickly for her.

Make lots of faces at her, get her to copy you sticking your tongue out. (babies can copy this- and it's cute when they do lol)

Read to her... maybe just let her watch your face as you read rather than her watching the book. Right now it's all about getting to know the human race. Is she interested in mirrors? My lo at that age loved a bit of tummy time in front of her little play mirror.

Give it another 4-6 weeks, you'll be amazed at the difference in development. Your baby is still a newborn - but once you hit that 3-4 month age, they get really fun.

As for eating. Don't be concerned. Babies self regulate quite often ... and they don't stop even as children. I have a 12 year old that still sometimes eats voraciously and other times just a nibble here and there. If it accompanies other illness type symptoms keep and eye on it and let your doc know... otherwise I'd not worry about it unless it went on for longer than a week.
:hug:

No way are you a shit mum honey.... at all!! I dont really have much advice as courtney is a month younger!! But Courtney is a very very noisey sleeper too and she doesnt settle very well without me being there!!
Courtney also surprises me with her milk shes been on 4 lots of 4oz and some breast for a while!!
Saturday I struggled to get 3 lots of 3 oz down her with no breast and she sicked up her last feed!! Since yesterday shes had her 4oz and then screamed for me!! Ive made her bottles up to 6oz now!! Babies are very unpredictable and just as you think you have cracked a routine they go and break it!!
Dont be so hard on yourself hun!!

The way you were talking I thought you were talking about a 6 month old! She is still really little, give her a chance.

Bren didn't start reaching till after he was 3 months. And it was only one toy bar on his car seat that he was interested in.

I agree, give her time, it is amazing what just a week or so can do for their development.

Thanks girls.... I can't believe I worry so much about things!! It's just I read what other people's LO's on here of a similar age are like, and was wondering why Morgan seemed so far off everyone else!! But now I realise I was just being paranoid! :dohh:

I have a feeling I now know why she's been so particularly unsettled the last few days... methinks she was brewing for a growth spurt maybe???

She had a bottle at about 10.30am and had just over 5 oz... fell asleep and so after about 30 mins I lay her in the pram (have to leave it a while because of her reflux!). Within about 10 mins of being lay down she started thrashing her arms and legs around and woke herself up and was really niggly and fidgety. Having ruled everything else out, I wondered whether she might still be a bit hungry, so warmed her up another bottle.... of which she drained the whole 6oz! Less than two hours after having the 5oz!!!!!!! OMG!!!! The little piggy!!!!

After the 2nd bottle, she seemed so much happier, so I thought I'd try her with her singing Barney toy.... and WOW!!! She turned her head to look at it and was laughing and giggling at it... for over half an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Now she's napping in her bouncy chair, snoring her head off!!!

What a difference a few hours and a belly full of milk makes!!!!
:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"