"I essentially have twins."

SucreK

Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...close-together-and-others-are-doing-the-same/

I swear, if I hear "my children were born 14 months apart, so they're essentially like having twins" again, I will lose my ever-loving mind. You had two normal, non-high risk pregnancies! Your kids were born at full gestation! You weren't in the NICU! Your first could walk/talk/hold their bottle/feed themselves/HOLD THEIR OWN HEAD UP when you had the second!

I am not saying having 2 wee ones of any age isn't difficult. But I am completely fed up with people likening it to twins.

/end rant ;)

It just makes me laugh. Just like twins. Uh-huh! :rofl:

My friend made me a "Condescending Wonka" meme. :)

Attachments

• 54866218.jpg
    54866218.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 9
LOVE IT! Please may I copy it for my FB??

:wacko: I hope nobody says that to me when they arrive! How very annoying

oh, my goodness - um, no!!! my boys are 15 months apart and i don't think that experience is anything at all compared to what I'm going to be facing very soon - i have never considered them to be "essentially like twins" - that's crazy!!! :wacko: A year and a half later, and they're still soooo different developmentally - could never think of them that way.

i will have 4 under 4S WILL THAT BE LIKE HAVING QUEDS:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::dohh:

Two of my children are 10mo apart. They were both full term. It was difficult in the sense that first child wasn't walking yet, he had needs, he crawled and that was tiring to keep up with. But he was also pretty independent when it came to play, he kept himself happy a good part of the time. You do obviously change diapers for two. And it was also challenging in that we had a schedule/groove which we had to change with a newborn. There was definitely a learning curve, definitely a time to lower expectations and adjust.

I also have two children spaced 13mo and then two more 14mo. I didn't think it was super easy. Currently we have five under five and four under four. Definitely not the same as quads or quints. But challenging in it's own right. Too bad there's not currently a better colloquialism in how to explain this, the practically-having-twins thing is a little bit silly. Then again I try not to let other people's ignorance bother me.

For me, having full-term twins, is challenging, but them on the same schedule, makes things so much simpler. Not terribly tougher though than a needy singleton. There's a bit more laundry, more fussing, more gear, more diapers, etc.... But I'm not finding it terrible. The pregnancy for me was pretty difficult, the last few weeks being quite difficult, the bed rest and first trimester NVP and additional symptoms, very much different from a normal pregnancy. I feel so relieved they are born, safe, healthy. So maybe I'm not a good judge, I also had a cesarean, so still needing to rest but raring to go, to feel like life is normal again. So I'm probably just very, very grateful, and very relieved.

beautiful post, snow - gives me hope that things will be okay. :)

Having twins is hard yes.. Is it like having a 1 and 2 year old... No. We adapt though very quickly with twins and learn shortcuts to everything. Trust me it does all work out. They truly are a double blessing and so much fun!

I'm am beyond tired of hearing others compare twins and singletons.

I found this beyond funny...so since I have a few bnb and other twin moms on my instagram I decided to post it. It was not geared towards anyone on my instagram....just knew all my twin moms would get a kick out of it....which I did write on the caption. I did also write that all non twin moms..ITS NOT THE SAME and when you tell a twin mom this they just want to punch you lol
Soooooo......my friends husband had the balls to call DH and say "i can't believe your wife posted that....who does she think she is"!!! Like really buddy?! First of all, go to work, second...YOUR WIFE LIKED the pic!
Why are people so stupid?!

missing a sense of humour much?! lol

ugh I know! I can't deal with morons lol
DH was like are u kidding me? Worry about paying me the money you owe me rather than my wife's instagram lol

I found this beyond funny...so since I have a few bnb and other twin moms on my instagram I decided to post it. It was not geared towards anyone on my instagram....just knew all my twin moms would get a kick out of it....which I did write on the caption. I did also write that all non twin moms..ITS NOT THE SAME and when you tell a twin mom this they just want to punch you lol
Soooooo......my friends husband had the balls to call DH and say "i can't believe your wife posted that....who does she think she is"!!! Like really buddy?! First of all, go to work, second...YOUR WIFE LIKED the pic!
Why are people so stupid?!

That is crazy!!!! First of all, what guy would ever call another guy to tattle on the guy's WIFE??? Second of all, if people don't understand what an asinine thing it is to say that two differently-aged children are the equivalent of twins, then they need to be schooled! I promise I'm not the sort of person who goes looking for offense, but people like that negate the really hard work it is raising twins! And I'm sure I'm especially sensitive because of all we went through in the NICU, but COME ON. Give me a little credit!!!

I definately would never compare my experiance to twins, I have an 11 month age gap.
I think it comes with entirely different hard parts such as being pregnant and having morning sickness when your oldest is only 10 weeks old, trying to play with your child when your at full term and aching. Then when my daughter arrived id be trying to bf and my not yet walking son would be ripping all the stuff out of the unit there were times right there I would have rather had two immobile children.
Both my children are still not sleeping through either :(

BUT there are obviously different hard parts with having twins, most of which I have no experiance in. A girl on my fb put up a pic of her pregnant twin belly and her ribs were all bruised from the babies kicking!!!!
I could never say what I would find easier harder as iv never done both, I sometimes do find it hard that they are both 'babies' but at such different stages

Absolutely. I've often thought of how hard it would be to be pregnant with a little one to look after. Different difficulties, like you say. I think us twin moms just get touchy because of how dismissive some people can be about the difficulties of twins. We don't want a medal (okay, maybe sometimes we do!), but we defintiely don't want our experience to be negated or diminished.

I can imagine it would be incredibly hard. I think it even looks hard managing to get them dressed the same. The girl on my fb her babies always dress the same and I always wonder if one is sick do you change both? I also don't no how you keep the same clothes togetheR. I no not all twins match but the few sets iv seen always do.

I can imagine even just the feeding would be hard and then if they don't want fed at the same time what do you do, you'd be feeding all day.
Now I'm thinking about all the different things oh god.
My hardest thing at the moment is physically getting them anywhere such as from the house to the car as my son can't walk down the steps but my daughter is at least in a car seat, I think having 2 almost walking twins would be very hard as they will be too heavy to carry in the car seat... I better just stop haha I am thinking of all these things now.
But definately when I see a twin mum I do admire them and think we'll done for getting out the house! !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->