I fell down the stairs.

RosyGray

-{ Brooke's Mum }-
Reaction score
[Warning! Long story!]

On Tuesday around 6 pm I was carrying an 11 mo old I have been babysitting in one arm and went to let the dog out and lost my balance while reaching for the light switch at the top of the stairs. It was two flights of concrete steps and a concrete floor at the bottom. And it wasn't just a slip and slide deal. It was head over heels tumbles and flips.

Luckily, little Abby (11 mo old) was completely protected during the fall since I pulled her in to my tummy and she came out completely unscathed - just frightened to death, poor thing. But my bump didn't fare as well. My entire body got battered on the way down, including my belly since frightened Abby was flailing and kicking against it and then landed on it pretty heavily at the bottom of the staircase.

I immediately began to throw up and was almost immediately flushed and feverish for the next few hours. I was also experiencing intermittent bands of "pulling" or tightening pain around the top of my bump at regular intervals and then it dulled into a low ache, similar to severe hunger pains. There was no bleeding but 24 hours later I still had only felt limited movement around 11 pm and constant aching and soreness.

I went to the hospital on Wednesday around 6 pm, where at first they were going to hook me up to a fetal monitor but they told me that at this stage of my pregnancy, monitoring fetal movement isn't a reliable method of determining if anything is wrong. They used a doppler to find the heart rate - beating at 152 and a regular rate so that was a relief, but they said that all I can do is go to my OB in a few days and check the heart rate again.

I'm so incredibly thankful and glad to hear baby's heart beating strong but I'm still concerned that something else may have happened during the fall. She still isn't moving nearly as much as she used to and I'm undoubtedly sore all over - though my bump seems to have fared the worst. I'm still cramping and aching constantly.

I just need some reassurance. Has anyone else taken a bad fall / accident in the second trimester and have everything turn out perfectly fine? Is there some other procedure I should be insisting upon to get some clear answers as to the limited movement/pain? Any positive advice or stories would be much appreciated. Trying very hard to stay optimistic and thankful that it didn't turn out as bad as it could have.

Oh no, poor you. I am the clumsiest person in the world and im absolutely petrified of taking a tumble. I've even bought some things to put on the bottom of my shoes which help in the snow and ice as I just know there is a fall waiting around the corner for me.

I'm sorry I don't have any personal experiences to share with you. Hopefully you just overstretched some already overstretched muscles hence the pulling you experienced. If you are still concerned could you insist on having a scan. I know its really naughty and I don't know if I would have the guts to do it myself, but could you exaggerate your symptoms to see if they will scan you.

I hope you are resting lots as I know they would probably tell you to just have complete bed rest at the mo so everything that may have become unsettled heals properly.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Many pregnant women will fall during pregnancy. Sometimes it's simply a matter of a change in the center of gravity. Sometimes you may just be a bit more clumsy while pregnant because of the weight gain, protruding pregnant belly or because of the softening of ligaments and joints due to the hormone relaxin.
If you fall when you are pregnant, the amniotic sac which contains fluid will act as a protective barrier for your baby.

Try to take it easy and if you have any more worry's call your doctor :)

I fell on my butt about 2 weeks ago on an icy parking lot. I didn't hurt anything besides my butt cheek but it still scared me since I fell pretty hard. I have a doppler monitor at home and the baby is doing fine.
I think if there was a problem after a fall you could expect some spotting or at least some pretty strong cramping.
I'm glad you went to see a doc and got to hear the baby's h/b. Everything will be fine.
We just need to be more careful and not so clumsy. :)

The fact the heartbeat is strong is a very good sign so please don't worry. I know people who have fallen and everything is fine.

In fact, I fell over myself yesterday but not even a fraction as bad as you and my baby has been a bit quiet since, which makes me think yours is probably going to be even quieter for a few more days!

Pop in to the hospital at the weekend if youre still worried xxx

ouch!!!! I am glad you heard baby's hb... Just follow up with you doctor if you are still feeling off. We get so clumsy when we are pregnant.

Hopefully all goes well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that baby bump is ok.

Poor thing I'm so scared of falling as I'm so clumsy as it is! Put ur feet up for a couple of days and if ur worried go to a'n'e x

Hope you are feeling okay. Im sure everything will be fine. I was kicked in the stomach by my young horse and, although obviously I felt that I had done ten rounds with a boxer, there was no damage done.

Oh no :sad1: I really hope that you are ok. I feel your pain!

I fell down my stairs at 19 weeks pregnant, but luckily I fell backwards and didn’t hit my bump, only my back, bum and ribs! I was so shaken up and in a lot of pain all over, and had cramping all down my right side. I gave my midwife a call, she sent me straight to hospital to have an anti-D injection due to my blood group being rhesus negative. I had the injection in my leg which was so painful! :cry: They also checked my baby’s heartbeat which was thankfully completely normal.

Like you mentioned, for two-three days I couldn’t feel my baby boy move as much as I had been, from 16+ weeks I had been feeling fluttering and little kicks quite often but after the fall - hardly anything! But a couple of days later I felt obvious movements again which was such a relief, and they kept getting stronger and stronger :) Even now, I have noticed my little one never seems to move when I really want him to! Lazy! :haha:

A week later I had my 20 week scan which revealed that everything was fine, and my little baby boy is perfectly healthy. Now over 23 weeks pregnant I know that he is happy in there. :happydance:

Your baby is well protected, shock and stress probably isn’t helping with the pains and cramps and worries. You could try eating foods that give you lots of energy, and keep well hydrated - It usually wakes my little one up :)

Good luck hun. If any more problems occur it will be best to ring your midwife/doctor :hugs: xxx

I fell just about a week ago down the stair, only one though and luckily did not land on my bump. I am so sorry you had this happen! My Dr told me unless I start bleeding not to worry that baby is well cushioned inside and since we heart HB everything is probably fine. However my baby has been SO quiet until today that I was getting worried. The pain is probably from pulled abdominal muscles, and you may have bruised yourself as well :hugs:

So sorry you had to go through this! Maybe the baby is a bit sore from the stress of the fall, too, so doesn't want to move as much. Probably just needs some time to rest and recover, then will be kicking away again in no time! If you are really worried, you could always push for a scan to be sure the placenta is still securely attached, though I think if it had come loose at all, you would be having bleeding. Since you've had no bleeding and you heard a strong hb, the baby is probably just fine, and your pain is most likely from the bruising of the fall and the pulling of the muscles from the fall and the stress. Even when I just have emotional stress, my muscles get a lot of tension and my bump starts to hurt a lot. I can only imagine how the physical stress on top of that must be affecting your muscles.
You poor thing! Very gentle great big :hugs2: Keep us updated! We are all thinking about you!

please be careful hope your ok, i fell down the staIRS a couple of times in my home as they are so steep i had to go to hospital and have anti d as bled a little after 1 episode but everything was ok. i think it'd be a great idea if we all had stairlifts whilst pregnant xxx

Thank you all so much for such positive, helpful responses!! I have been without internet for the past few days so coming on to see all the love and concern is so touching. Thank you!!

Just for a quick update, Baby Brooke is bouncing around again! She's still not as active as before but enough to let mummy know she's doing well so I'm feeling much better now. :flower:

oh thank god! i recon it may have just been shock for her, and the shock from you affecting her, big huggles, i really hope you're feeling better yourself, you poor woman, i've had a few very very nasty falls down the stairs (one resulting in me having quite a nasty back injury and struggling to breathe!) and i know how much it bloody hurts.. :( xxxxx

aww i am very happy for you! :flower: so glad all is well xxx​

oh thank god! i recon it may have just been shock for her, and the shock from you affecting her, big huggles, i really hope you're feeling better yourself, you poor woman, i've had a few very very nasty falls down the stairs (one resulting in me having quite a nasty back injury and struggling to breathe!) and i know how much it bloody hurts.. :( xxxxx

Oh no that's awful!! Back injuries are the worst, they always have a way of resurfacing. Hopefully its not giving you too much trouble! :(

Luckily, everyone involved in the fall seems to be pretty good all things considered! Little 11-month old Abby didn't see a scratch or a bump (until she ran into her saucer the next day, silly girl) and baby Brooke is bouncing happily and I'm a little sore but no bruises or serious injuries to speak of except for a healing wound on my arm and I'm sure that will be fine in just another day or two. :thumbup:

you're right they do have a way of resurfacing :S i hope your arm heals up soon, and no more trying to be super woman ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->