I have a question

Kioana

Reaction score
so i'm not preggers yet still TTC but I already know that I want to breastfeed

so I have some questions :)

1. I have my lady lumps pierced and I wanted to know how would that effect breastfeeding?

2.is it true that breastfeeding makes you lose weight ?

3. is it painful? I watched my sister breastfeed her son and umm I WAS in pain with her! i'm willing to take one for my baby but how much pain is it ?

I know this sounds "jokely" lol but i'm VERY serious about these questions

Hey! It's great to see you're so determined and thinking about this already.

To answer your questions:

1.) Normally, nipple piercings shouldn't affect breastfeeding but you would have to take them out for the duration. You might have milk emerging from places it otherwise wouldn't but normally baby's mouth will cover the whole area so it'll be fine. Breast milk is also antibacterial so you shouldn't have any issues with your canals getting infected or anything.

2.) Breastfeeding uses up an additional 500kcals a day. Whether that helps you lose weight depends on what you eat and how much excercise you get. For many breastfeeding mums weight loss is quicker and easier but not for all. I breastfed for a year but ate so many cakes I actually gained a stone. So no guarantees but usually it'll help you get back in shape quicker.
It does definitely help with recovery though. Your uterus contracts back much quicker and things return to where they belong quicker.

3.) It SHOULDN'T hurt. What that means is that when your technique is good, it won't hurt after a few days. Doesn't always hurt to start with either but it can take a little while to get things right. If you do get pain, it's important to look at your attachment and positioning. There are plenty of support groups around to help, like the NCT in the UK or the La Leche League in lots of places internationally. Problems can crop up (like blocked ducts for example) but 99.9% of issues that cause pain are short-lived and easily sorted. The key is to get support.

1. I have my lady lumps pierced and I wanted to know how would that effect breastfeeding? I've seen a few threads on here where ladies with pierced nipples said that their milk came out of the piercing holes :haha:. Your piercings shouldn't make BFing a problem :).

2.is it true that breastfeeding makes you lose weight ? I found it very hard to lose weigh whilst BFing, in fact I only really started losing weight when I stopped. But more often than not BFing does help you lose weight. It can also make you feel very hungry so just arm yourself with healthy snacks :).

3. is it painful? I watched my sister breastfeed her son and umm I WAS in pain with her! i'm willing to take one for my baby but how much pain is it ? It can be very sore in the first few days, until your nips toughen up! But the pain soon goes. There are things you can do to help- cold cabbage leaves in your bra, warm flannels for engorgement, paracetamol. Also trying different positions and getting help with LO's latch can help.

Good luck in your TTC journey :)

wow .. thanks ladies !last question .. now you said it's a position on how to hold ,, do I just kinda find my own or what he/she likes ooor would I be taught them ?

Breast feeding is a learning process for you and baby.

I really strongly recommend you look for a lactation consultant to help you . They an help you in the hospital and the first few days.

As for hurting it only hurts if baby isn't latched properly . After the first few days it really shouldn't hurt

I nursed #1 till 15 mos and #2 till her 2nd bday. I might differ from some of the ladies on here, but here's my take:
1: Nipple piercings; haven't a clue. Too much of a wuss to even think about piercing my nips! Love the term 'Lady lumps", tho!!
2: Usually BFing helps you lose the weight from baby. The initial chunk drops off and then it's a slow and steady. I did find that the last 7-10 pounds hung on till after I weaned. Small price to pay. Be forewarned though, if you're anything like me, you'll be flippin' starving and crazy thirsty in the beginning especially. The best thing you can do is eat well. Eat at hunger, but do it wisely. BFing is more of a caloric drain on your body than pregnancy.
3: I see a lot of women on this forum post about how BFing is really hard in the beginning and painful. I NEVER had pain with either of mine. What I learned from lactation classes and consultants and books is that contrary to popular thought, there is no period that your nipples have to "toughen up". They secrete oils and antibacterial materials that take really good care of them for their purpose. The only time I ever had any pain was with thrush. If you latch on and it is the least bit uncomfortable immediately break the latch, re-adjust and start again. Take a deep breath in there, too. BFing is an art. Think of it as a beautiful, incredibly synchronized waltz between mom and babe. It should never hurt unless someone's toes get stepped on. Carrying on a feeding session when the latch is bad or position is awkward is what causes the ugly cascade of pain and trouble nursing!!

As an aside. There are at times moments of discomfort when baby is trying to nurse on a dry breast. This usually happens during periods of cluster feeding when baby is going through a growth spurt and in the process of increasing your supply. Have patience, one or two feedings and your supply will increase.

Position and hold are entirely personal. Do what makes you feel good!!

I nursed #1 till 15 mos and #2 till her 2nd bday. I might differ from some of the ladies on here, but here's my take:
1: Nipple piercings; haven't a clue. Too much of a wuss to even think about piercing my nips! Love the term 'Lady lumps", tho!!
2: Usually BFing helps you lose the weight from baby. The initial chunk drops off and then it's a slow and steady. I did find that the last 7-10 pounds hung on till after I weaned. Small price to pay. Be forewarned though, if you're anything like me, you'll be flippin' starving and crazy thirsty in the beginning especially. The best thing you can do is eat well. Eat at hunger, but do it wisely. BFing is more of a caloric drain on your body than pregnancy.
3: I see a lot of women on this forum post about how BFing is really hard in the beginning and painful. I NEVER had pain with either of mine. What I learned from lactation classes and consultants and books is that contrary to popular thought, there is no period that your nipples have to "toughen up". They secrete oils and antibacterial materials that take really good care of them for their purpose. The only time I ever had any pain was with thrush. If you latch on and it is the least bit uncomfortable immediately break the latch, re-adjust and start again. Take a deep breath in there, too. BFing is an art. Think of it as a beautiful, incredibly synchronized waltz between mom and babe. It should never hurt unless someone's toes get stepped on. Carrying on a feeding session when the latch is bad or position is awkward is what causes the ugly cascade of pain and trouble nursing!!

As an aside. There are at times moments of discomfort when baby is trying to nurse on a dry breast. This usually happens during periods of cluster feeding when baby is going through a growth spurt and in the process of increasing your supply. Have patience, one or two feedings and your supply will increase.

Position and hold are entirely personal. Do what makes you feel good!!

lol omg this was pretty funny but informative! thank you :happydance:
the weight part I asked because my friend who is a nurse was telling me that after you have a baby you lose weight then I told her I want to BF and she's like your going to lose a lot of weight i'm like umm I don't want to lose too much ! lol

I didn't loose wieght after I had my son. I was about 15 pounds over my pre pregnancy wieght when he was born and stayed at about that the whole time . I are normally and healthy

Your wont loose to much if you eat properly , your body naturally will keep some days store I'm case there's ever a time you don't eat ( leftover from when there use to be famine and scarce food )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->