I have a question?

bambi93

Reaction score
Firstly, I hope this doesn't offend anyone who breastfeeds long term.. it's just there's something I don't quite understand.

I'm strongly considering breastfeeding when I have my baby. But I hear of people who breastfeed until their baby is like 3 years old, but surely the child doesn't need milk at 3 years old? because they have solid foods around 6 months right? so, the kids who are breastfed after like 1 years old, do they also eat solid foods and proper meals? surely if they do.. then the breastmilk is like feeding them twice?

sorry If I appear really uneducated, I just don't know anything about breastfeeding.

Breastfed older babies and toddlers do eat solid food. As they start eating solids, they drink less milk. My girl is 14 months and she nurses in the morning, before naps (not always) and before bed. Some babies will nurse less often, others more often (but maybe less at a time).

Even toddlers get a great deal of nutrition from breastmilk, in addition to increased immunity from diseases and psychological comfort.

Children still need milk until they're 4 or 5, it's just as the previous poster said, they need less. My 3 year old still has about a pint of milk a day (cows milk), but breastmilk is better suited to them really x

Breastfed toddlers eat solids. My LO was quite slow to start solids and she still feeds a lot but she is eating more solids these days.

Toddlers don't need the milk in a survival sense, like they do in the first 6 months, but breastmilk never stops being beneficial for them even when they are an older toddler :flower:

What they all said :D

Breastmilk is a lot more than a food. It's the most nutritionally complete thing you can have, it boosts the immune system etc. It calms them, and reinforces the bond between us. Tandem nursing has been amazing for their sibling relationship too.

It's unusual in our culture, but not in all. To me, it feels like the natural thing to do. Nursing a child is very different from nursing a baby, but to me it's just as beneficial.

Have you seen the commercials for pediasure? is your toddler not getting complete nutrition is your picky eater missing out on important nutrition give them pediasure for all their daily nutrition. with extended breastfeeding there is no worry about a picky eater or a little eater missing out on important nutrients for growth. it's all packed up ready to go in us.

Weaning is not easy as you think. I tried with my firstborn and making him cry it out is very heartbreaking. Plus, I still feel like they need to make up food they missed because they are picky eaters.

And my cousin is still giving her almost two years old a bottle (like I wrote, weaning is not easy) . He does not eat much either though.

I second everything posted above..

I like the little extra cuddling it provides. My daughter nurses two or three times and basically all in the evening. The health benefits are just a plus to me :)

It's recommended by the WHO organisation up to 2 years or beyond. They reckon that if all infants worldwide continued to recieve breast milk until at least 2 years it would save 220 000 children's lives every year.

Nursing is so so much more than a way of feeding a child. Its hugs and love and comfort and security. Even now at two years old my little boy is reassured by boobie hugs. It is a familiar, warm place where he can collect his thoughts after a busy day of growing and exploring.

As others said it's more than nutrition :) it's comfort love and cuddles. I hope LO and I make it to over a year of BF'ing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->