I have about 6 weeks until baby comes, when can I start to sterilize his bottles?

wifey2013

Reaction score
Hi ladies, when can I start to prepare and sterilize baby pacifiers and bottles?? Should I wait until he's born and do it before first use, or am I able to start now and have them ready? I'm afraid they just might get recontaminated in the six weeks leading up to his arrival.

Also, on all my bottles and pacis it says to boil before first use. If I have a sterilizer, will simple washing and then putting in the sterilizer do? Or, should I boil before first use and then start to use the sterilizer only for subsequent uses? :shrug:

I've washed and sterilised already just so I know they've been done, but with bottles i'm intending to resterilise when used but i wanted to have a baseline of them all done once as they'd been in n storage a while. I shan't bother sterilising dummy again though. It's waiting in hospital bag. I rarely sterilised dd dummy, just wiped clean with wipes and periodically chucked in mug with boiled water from kettle tipped over.

They will need to b e done again when used (bottles), but no harm having a tidy and sort to make sure you know what you have and that it's had one wash alrea d y

Depending on the steriliser they only usually stay sterilised for around 24 hours. I'd just wait until he's born if I were you :)

I had my MIL sterilize whenever I was still in the hospital with LO. I was really lazy preparing for baby. :haha:

I'm at 37+5 and haven't bothered to sterilize anything yet. I don't plan to introduce the bottle right away anyways so I might just wait until LO is here and make DH do it:haha:

No point sterilizing yet... Bottles need to be used within 24 hours or they need to be done again. Just make sure you've the instructions so you are ready to go when the time comes. Wash bottles etc in hot soppy water before sterilizing them.

I don't have a sterilizer yet but I'd do it when ever I had the time just to learn how it works and get to know the machine. But of course it would need to be done again before baby could use them.

Hi ladies, thanks for all the replies. I'll follow the bottle and pacifier instructions and boil them all for five minutes. Then when baby comes and we start introducing the bottle I'll wash them in hot soapy water and run them through the sterilizer.

Thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->