I have finally made up my mind

HBGirl

Reaction score
I have decided to go unmedicated. I made this decision with lots of research and family history. Mu mom did one medicated where she had failure to progress and me unmedicated that ended up complication free. Another family member stopped progressing as soon as the epis were placed.

Now what annoys me are the scoffs I get when I mention my plans. Oh just you wait etc.

I have enrolled in a hypnobirthing class and I am excited to give it a try. If I end up needing meds, so be it but I want to at least try.

Anyone else choosing this route?

I had no pain relief with my boy, not even gas and air. I will be doing the same with this one although i get the usual laughs or comments of 'yea like you'll scream for releif when baby is there and your pushing' well guess what.... I didn't freaking scream or cry or act like i was being effing murdered when i had my boy.
. I said 3 things in labour. 'pass me a drink' 'you are dead when we get hone, you here me' and 'please tell me hes almost here'

My point is its 100% possible even without hypno classes

I plan to but have only told DH, who doesn't think I can do it. I'm sure I'll get a lot of comments.

I'm a whoose with pain... Stub my toe i scream like a baby so my statement to you both is.

If i can do it, you can do it

Yep that's my plan - I don't really care if people say things to me, every birth is different and some want pain relief from the start and feel things in a different way.

I'm keeping an open mind (given that I've never really even had a bad AF) but am planning to only have gas and air (even then i'm worried it'll make me feel sick and dizzy).

I was there when my sister had my niece and they gave her diamorphine and she was totally out of it when my niece came and that really put me off. It's going to hurt whatever I do so I'd prefer to do it drug free!

Yep that's my plan - I don't really care if people say things to me, every birth is different and some want pain relief from the start and feel things in a different way.

I'm keeping an open mind (given that I've never really even had a bad AF) but am planning to only have gas and air (even then i'm worried it'll make me feel sick and dizzy).

I was there when my sister had my niece and they gave her diamorphine and she was totally out of it when my niece came and that really put me off. It's going to hurt whatever I do so I'd prefer to do it drug free!

Gas and air makes you feel whoozy and sick, as you said all pregnancies are different but when i was in getting nothing a woman in the room nextdoir was puking her guys up on gas and air... Diamorphine slows thame baby down and puts them to sleep x

Can I just say everyone has different pain thresholds so some people are every lucky and they can do labour without meds others need epidurals and spinal blocks. its not a failure thing if you do need meds nor should people who do need meds be looked down upon - it literally is just luck.

Can I just say everyone has different pain thresholds so some people are every lucky and they can do labour without meds others need epidurals and spinal blocks. its not a failure thing if you do need meds nor should people who do need meds be looked down upon - it literally is just luck.

Agreed but the point the poster is making (i think) is if you say yours not getting pain meds people just go...yea right and don't believe you...

Both my kids were planned unmedicated births - no gas & air either as we don't typically have that available here. Both were fantastic and I will definitely be doing it again if I can. It makes me so angry when women say they want no epi and they get scoffs, eye-rolling and inappropriate comments. If someone told me they had a goal would the first thing out of my mouth be (essentially) "You can't do it"??? I think it's terrible and perpetuates the lie that women can't birth babies without medical assistance. Of course they can. That's how our species is still alive and kicking.

I would really recommend you surround yourself with supportive people at the birth. If my OH didn't think I could do it, then he wouldn't be in the room. period. The more people who are on your side and understand what you want, the less pressure there will be to do something that you don't want. Labour is a strange experience - it's an adrenaline rush, exhilarating, stressful, and painful! The mix of emotions and physical stress can make it easier for people to push you into things. Also hypnobirthing is great. I never took a class, but with my second I did lots of relaxation and visualization which I think helped a ton.

Also for the record I did loads of yelling with my first :haha: No problem. You make noise if you have to and if it helps. I have heard everything from endless swearing, to mooing, to wailing in the labour ward. Hey - whatever works! :haha:

I don't think it's just luck as in some places no one gets epis and women with low pain thresholds still have babies. But unmedicated births aren't for everyone and every mama makes the decision that is best for her.
The OP wasn't posting that no one should have epis - but that she personally doesn't want one and doesn't appreciate the lack of support.

yes unmedicated here too! I used G&A with DS, but only one or two inhalations with each contraction so I didn't feel out of it, it was more a distraction - wasn't living on the stuff like you see people going OTT on TV lol.

You can do it, just concentrate and don't allow the pressure to overwhelm you in the moment! I got to 7cm at home, so it can be done!

If you go in with the mindset of a natural birth, just forget that there is pain relief available. It wasn't until after he had arrived that I realised I did it without any pain relief!

Well I labored without meds this first time, I'm hoping to do the same this time too, the only time I asked for an epi was when it was time to push, but I think it was due to exhaustion mostly.. so this time around I'm HOPING that I'll have the stamina :) Its nice when you have people supporting you with your decision.

Lol sun yea. I told my oh through gritted teeth several times that i was going to kill him with my bare hands and that he was an ass for making me do 'this' but he still never let go of my hand and kept saying 'come on his head is right there baby just a few more pushes you're a star' i broke his hand on final big push but hey i did it, no pain meds......yea ok AFTER birth i had pain meds due to a tear.

We CAN do it and the numptys who are negetive and say no are exactly what i called them...NUMPTYS. Just coz the meds are there why assume everyone wants or needs them its like saying 'oh there's a plate of cookies there you cant just walk past and not have one'

I think the contractions can be handled with walking etc, Im not too scared about them.
Its the stinging when the babies head is emerging that petrifies me!! x

Just to address the "failure" post. No where did I say having pain meds is a failure. I even said if I needed it so be it. Moving on.

It really helps to hear positive stories from you ladies who have done it. I must say I have absolutely no fear of labour. None. I also have a massively high pain threshold to the point of not feeling things. I am completely confident that I can do this as long as the baby cooperates on all fronts. LOL

I am lucky that DH and my mother are 100% supportive of my plan. My mother even said if I can't do this she will eat her hat. She knows how stubborn I am.

Please keep then positive stories coming ladies. :)

Just to address the "failure" post. No where did I say having pain meds is a failure. I even said if I needed it so be it. Moving on.

It really helps to hear positive stories from you ladies who have done it. I must say I have absolutely no fear of labour. None. I also have a massively high pain threshold to the point of not feeling things. I am completely confident that I can do this as long as the baby cooperates on all fronts. LOL

I am lucky that DH and my mother are 100% supportive of my plan. My mother even said if I can't do this she will eat her hat. She knows how stubborn I am.

We better get the pictures of her hat eating then as you have the support from dh so I'm sure you can do it

I had an epi that didn't work with my first daughter and I was a teen at the time 16. it was horrible. I thrashed around screamed in pain and literally felt I would die. I have had back problems ever since. my other2 I took no meds and the pain was bad but bearable. I huffed and puffed my way threw it with a few threats thrown around. I never regret because with my first I felt the drugs after I had her and barely remember the first day. with the other two there bonding time was priceless. on the other hand the mother of my nephew had an epi and laughed and talked throughout her whole labor

We better get the pictures of her hat eating then as you have the support from dh so I'm sure you can do it

Oh no, you read wrong. My mother believes in me 100%, she means she will be shocked if I needs meds.

Labour is nothing to fear, infact I'm so excited to be in labour again :haha: I know it sounds crazy but you get such an adrenalin rush!! Its a very exciting time! :haha:
Everyone women is different some find 3 centimeters really painful while others can talk normally and walk around at 8 and not even know it. :flower: Its one of those things that you'll know how it is while its happening. I actually didn't find it hurt til the baby was moving down. But other then that I was FINE! I was like wait... isn't this supposed to hurt? :haha: That said who knows how this labour will be like!!

Labour is nothing to fear, infact I'm so excited to be in labour again :haha: I know it sounds crazy but you get such an adrenalin rush!! Its a very exciting time! :haha:
Everyone women is different some find 3 centimeters really painful while others can talk normally and walk around at 8 and not even know it. :flower: Its one of those things that you'll know how it is while its happening. I actually didn't find it hurt til the baby was moving down. But other then that I was FINE! I was like wait... isn't this supposed to hurt? :haha: That said who knows how this labour will be like!!

im usually good until 7 or 8 cm then the huffing starts lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->