I have finally made up my mind

Am I the only one that thought that getting the epi hurt worse than my contractions? With dd it failed. I'm hoping to avoid induction as well as medication. I can't do a home birth or anything due to previous complications which is fine by me.

I had no pain getting the epi, I actually was more shocked by the stick of it than anything.

I went unmedicated with my son and was the only women in our ward to do so (and was the only one able to get up by herself afterwards!).

I figured I'd see how much I could tolerate (depending how long I was going to be in labour) and go from there. When I showed up to the hospital I was already 9cm, so they said I'd be quick, so I decided to go unmedicated. I had 1 hour of hard contractions and 1 hour of pushing. It HURT, mostly I found breathing difficult because the contractions were so close together I couldn't catch my breath. But I knew it would be over soon so I could tolerate it. If they told me I'd be doing that for 6 more hours I would have gotten an epidural.

You know your pain threshold and tolerance--but I think the need to be flexible in your plan is key. You aren't letting anyone down if you change your mind or your plan--its hard to predict how you'll feel or what'll happen since every birth is different. The most important things is that you and baby are safe and healthy at the end :)

I went unmedicated with my son and was the only women in our ward to do so (and was the only one able to get up by herself afterwards!).

I figured I'd see how much I could tolerate (depending how long I was going to be in labour) and go from there. When I showed up to the hospital I was already 9cm, so they said I'd be quick, so I decided to go unmedicated. I had 1 hour of hard contractions and 1 hour of pushing. It HURT, mostly I found breathing difficult because the contractions were so close together I couldn't catch my breath. But I knew it would be over soon so I could tolerate it. If they told me I'd be doing that for 6 more hours I would have gotten an epidural.

You know your pain threshold and tolerance--but I think the need to be flexible in your plan is key. You aren't letting anyone down if you change your mind or your plan--its hard to predict how you'll feel or what'll happen since every birth is different. The most important things is that you and baby are safe and healthy at the end :)

I was up and moving after mine too with an epi, I demanded a shower! lol

Am I the only one that thought that getting the epi hurt worse than my contractions? With dd it failed. I'm hoping to avoid induction as well as medication. I can't do a home birth or anything due to previous complications which is fine by me.

I had no pain getting the epi, I actually was more shocked by the stick of it than anything.

Mine hurt...maybe it's the fact that I'm terrified of needles. It wore off anyway and I could feel being stitched up.

Congratulations on making the safest choice for you and your baby!

It is saddening to see how successfully "modern" women have been made to believe that women are too weak to give birth. It is the ultimate sign of our ignorance as a technology based society to feel that routinely inserting cocaine-derived drugs into the tissue surrounding the spine of a woman in labor is not only safe but in some cases NECESSARY! Not only that, but this widespread (Obstetrician enforced) belief that drugging an infant during one of the most crucial times of neurological formation has no lasting effect shows our great ignorance about the delicacy and divinity of the birthing process. (And yes, contrary to what the drug pusher in the white lab coat says, the half life of narcotic pain medication is 4 hours in a grown woman's body, it is 8 hours or more in a newborn human, and the neurological effects last for years thereafter....)

Any farmer will tell you that Nutrition during pregnancy is the single most important factor in facilitating a smooth and easy birth. Perhaps it is not the birthing process that is unbearable, but it is made to feel so by the stresses placed on a nutrient deficient body.

Every pregnant woman should check out Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A Price and Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby and Child Careby Sally Fallon

:hug:

Mine hurt...maybe it's the fact that I'm terrified of needles. It wore off anyway and I could feel being stitched up.

I didn't have any stitching so I cannot comment on that! No tearing whatsoever, thank goodness!

Congratulations on making the safest choice for you and your baby!

It is saddening to see how successfully "modern" women have been made to believe that women are too weak to give birth. It is the ultimate sign of our ignorance as a technology based society to feel that routinely inserting cocaine-derived drugs into the tissue surrounding the spine of a woman in labor is not only safe but in some cases NECESSARY! Not only that, but this widespread (Obstetrician enforced) belief that drugging an infant during one of the most crucial times of neurological formation has no lasting effect shows our great ignorance about the delicacy and divinity of the birthing process. (And yes, contrary to what the drug pusher in the white lab coat says, the half life of narcotic pain medication is 4 hours in a grown woman's body, it is 8 hours or more in a newborn human, and the neurological effects last for years thereafter....)

Any farmer will tell you that Nutrition during pregnancy is the single most important factor in facilitating a smooth and easy birth. Perhaps it is not the birthing process that is unbearable, but made it is made to feel so by the stresses placed on a nutrient deficient body.

Every pregnant woman should check out Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A Price and Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby and Child Careby Sally Fallon

:hug:

Thank you so much!

Nope.. good on you , but I wouldnt mind having an epidural again if its needed. Last time I had one it was bloody brilliant! I thought i was a tough nut but when I was in established labour with a pitocin drip the MW offered me the choice of 1) suffering, 2) painkillers to "take the edge off" or 3) pain free labour with epi.. all i heard was the phrase "pain free".. yes please!! I wasnt tired or in agony when baby came out, nor did i feel a failure.. i just felt... pain free! It was fab :)

Oh and i was up and about moments after too. I thought it "paralysed" u but it didnt. I remember getting up & walking to the toilet just after and realising i had a catheter in and thought "whys that there!?"... and asked for it taking out.

Doing more research...I had complications of severe fluid retention and now I'm linking them to the epidural. I had it BOTH times. The fluid actually backed up into my lungs it was that bad. I would wake up gasping for air. Has anyone come across this in their research? I obviously knew about distress and lower bp (that's why I got it with number 1 is because I had PIH). Thanks.

Nope.. good on you , but I wouldnt mind having an epidural again if its needed. Last time I had one it was bloody brilliant! I thought i was a tough nut but when I was in established labour with a pitocin drip the MW offered me the choice of 1) suffering, 2) painkillers to "take the edge off" or 3) pain free labour with epi.. all i heard was the phrase "pain free".. yes please!! I wasnt tired or in agony when baby came out, nor did i feel a failure.. i just felt... pain free! It was fab :)

Oh and i was up and about moments after too. I thought it "paralysed" u but it didnt. I remember getting up & walking to the toilet just after and realising i had a catheter in and thought "whys that there!?"... and asked for it taking out.

I too will have the epidural again but do you mind me asking I felt sensation down there, like I knew when I had to push, etc. Did you have that as well? I just asked for the edge to be taken off as I did not want to extend the labor but not knowing when to push :winkwink:

I also felt a burning sensation down there when my son crowned which they said was normal it is your body stretching to allow baby to come through, did you feel that?

Yeah i still knew when i was having a contraction. I didnt feel anything "down there" but i just felt tightness so i did know when to push and then towards the end i could feel "heaviness" down there i guess. And i felt baby coming out which was weird but didnt hurt.

Its weird cos i REALLY REALLY didnt want one before i went into labour. I was scared of them.. but i was on another planet when i was in all that pain :) Which is why this time Im definitely open to the idea of an epi again.

People who can do it without pain relief have my respect. Theyre better at handling pain than me! :flower:

Yeah i still knew when i was having a contraction. I didnt feel anything "down there" but i just felt tightness so i did know when to push and then towards the end i could feel "heaviness" down there i guess. And i felt baby coming out which was weird but didnt hurt.

Its weird cos i REALLY REALLY didnt want one before i went into labour. I was scared of them.. but i was on another planet when i was in all that pain :) Which is why this time Im definitely open to the idea of an epi again.

People who can do it without pain relief have my respect. Theyre better at handling pain than me! :flower:

Wow, I am going to ask for a bit more then next time as when my little one came out it was painful, not weird! lol I definitely felt in the end if helped me especially since I was going on my 4th day of not eating and being in labor.....I just don't want to extend the labor b/c I can't feel anything :)

Wow I can't believe all the ladies who aren't allowed to eat anything during labour - especially when it lasts for days!! :nope: I start feeling SO sick and shaky if I don't eat - there's no way I would have lasted without eating and my labour was pretty short comparatively.

Castaway Bride - Why were you not allowed to eat for 4 days???? That is starvation omg! I wouldn't have had the energy to even talk much less birth a baby!

Wow I can't believe all the ladies who aren't allowed to eat anything during labour - especially when it lasts for days!! :nope: I start feeling SO sick and shaky if I don't eat - there's no way I would have lasted without eating and my labour was pretty short comparatively.

Castaway Bride - Why were you not allowed to eat for 4 days???? That is starvation omg! I wouldn't have had the energy to even talk much less birth a baby!

Well, i was on a clear diet, Ginger ale, jello, etc. NOT filling. To be honest I was in constant distress so I didn't want to eat...also never knowing if I was going to do a C section or continue to try to progress so I was not starving by all means but it did affect my energy level. By the time I delivered though he came out so easily thank goodness, even though he was breech. I was one tired lady...

Well, i was on a clear diet, Ginger ale, jello, etc. NOT filling. To be honest I was in constant distress so I didn't want to eat...also never knowing if I was going to do a C section or continue to try to progress so I was not starving by all means but it did affect my energy level. By the time I delivered though he came out so easily thank goodness, even though he was breech. I was one tired lady...

Oh yes now I remember from your other thread. I'm sure "distress" doesn't even begin to cover it. Hugs to you - 4 days is a very long time to labour and breech too. :hugs::hugs:
Hoping for a beautifully short and sweet birth for you this pregnancy xoxo

Oh yes now I remember from your other thread. I'm sure "distress" doesn't even begin to cover it. Hugs to you - 4 days is a very long time to labour and breech too. :hugs::hugs:
Hoping for a beautifully short and sweet birth for you this pregnancy xoxo

Thanks we are hoping so too. I said to my hubby that my next birth is going to seem to fly by! :haha:

I wasn't allowed to eat either because my son was in fetal distress so there was always the possibility of having a c-section which I did end up getting (I have to credit the staff for putting it off until it was absolutely necessary). Though my dh had brought in snacks and I stole a few bites when the nurses weren't looking. ha ha

I planned on having an unmedicated water birth with my son. I hate to say it but it all went out of the window as soon as the contractions started lol. I did manage on gas and air only, then nothing whilst pushing, I ended up on a bed with my feet in stirrups and I couldn't have cared less I was screaming for an epidural, I'm not even writing a birth plan this time, whatever happens happens, I don't remember much about it anyway as I was so tired it just seems like a blur now x

I had a natural birth at a birthing centre. Beforehand I got all the helpful comments about how I would be screaming for an epidural and how a birthing centre wasn't safe (or a midwife for that matter). Well I didn't ask for an epi, the centre was great and my midwife was amazing (am using her again).

I had a bit of gas and air which took the edge off, didn't make me feel sick at all. Going for the exact same plan this time.

I haven't read through all the posts just yet and I am sure there have been lots of varied opinions. I think it's great u don't want any meds...but also try to keep an open mind about it like u said. As in birth anything can happen as we all know. I didn't want an epi but as I had blood in my waters when it broke they induced me right away. I went from no contractions to full blown ones and needed the epi. Was the best thing I did in the situation..
I know people who have had their mind set on not having it to then needing it or even needing an emergency c-section...this made them stressed, baby stressed and the whole situation was unpleasant.

This one I want to grey acupuncture from 37 weeks as I have heard that can help with labour.

Good luck...who cares what people think

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->