I have to keep repeating myself!

Elli21

Reaction score
My little girl is nearly three and she is a good girl...normally. But recently ive been having to tell her something 10 or more times (without egsageration - sp? lol ) before she'll listen to me, then she does it again anyway! Its driving me nuts. And i find it makes me really want to scream at her. Is this the terrible twos everyone tlks about?

And also...whilst im on the subject of saying things over and over....she does this to me in normal conversation...she'll ask me a question and when i answer she asks me again, so i answer again and this goes on for a few more times until im like "STOP repeating yourself!, ive answered you 5 times!" Is this normal??

I don't know about the second one but "the naughty step" or some sort of equivelent would work well as a solution to your first problem.

When you tell her to / not to do something and she doesn't listen, then put yourself on her level, and tell her with eye contact that if she continues then she will go on the naughty step. If she does it again then imediately pick her up and put her on the naughty step. Tell her why she is there and how long she has to stay for. (If she gets up then just pick her up and put her straight back on again, you may have to do this a frustrating number of times, but she will soon learn the futility in it and it will all be worth it). Then after her time is up, get down on her level again, tell her "you were put on the naughty step because you ... and that's naughty. I want you to say sorry now" When she apologises you have a cuddle and that's the end of it. And you do this consistently whenever she is naughty and doesn't listen to you - soon you will need to put her on there less and less. And it won't take long before all it will take is the warning of the naughty step to make her stop and listen to you.

Best of luck, hunni

(ps: yes, this does sound like the terrible twos and almost every child goes through it to some degree - it's no reflection of your parenting ;))

:hugs:

Thankyou very much! That sounds like something i tried to do but failed but i didnt do it that way...Ill give it a good crack..and in a few weeks ill let you know if its helped, i hope it does.
And thanks for the last little bit you added..its always a worry when they start misbehaving on a regular basis, it does make you question your skills at this section of parenting.

Just a thought - can she hear you ok when you're talking to her? We've had some problems with DD and weren't sure if she couldn't hear or wasn't listening! (there is a difference!!). Turns out she has some hearing problems!

It may just be terrible twos but just something to consider! And yes, it is frustrating!

Do you think she is doing it to be naughty? Does she laugh when you ask her to stop etc?

The reason I ask is my god daughter was recently diagnosed with Glue Ear but for a good few years we actually just thought she was being naughty.

At first it was just little things like she'd ask her mum something or when her mum asked her something she'd have to repeat & sophie would just keep saying pardon. We just passed it of as her being cheeky! Then she started turning the TV up really loud & if you said something to her while she was watching TV she wouldn't her you (even if you talked somethimes even shouted) Again we just thought she was going through a naughty stage!

Teachers started noticing it in school & then when sophie had an ear test they realised that she couldn't hear properly! It was later after tests she was diagnosed! She'd had years of being treated like a naughty child when it was medical!

Maybe its worth checking it out before you start to punish for bad behavior. After all she is only 2 and she wouldn't know if she couldn't hear properly!

Good Luck

xx

Thankyou very much! That sounds like something i tried to do but failed but i didnt do it that way...Ill give it a good crack..and in a few weeks ill let you know if its helped, i hope it does.
And thanks for the last little bit you added..its always a worry when they start misbehaving on a regular basis, it does make you question your skills at this section of parenting.

It'll work if you keep at it and do it consistently, without exception... It can (and probs will) be really quite hard work to begin with, but so worth it in the long run because you make things so much easier long-term in that eventually your terrible two will be less and less terrible and will hardly need the naughty step at all.

I know what it's like - with the questioning - So no worries on that one - just thought I'd remind you that you're a great mother and yer little one acting up doesn't mean otherwise! lol :hugs: Good luck with your new naughty step - I really hope you see the results soon! Will be good to hear how it works out for you :)

Good points about the hearing, too - sounds like she's just being naughty to me, but there have been cases!! (As shown above...) Might be worth getting it checked out as well as implementing the naughty step - just to be sure!

My son, and daughter both have glue ear. My daughter had grommits in last wednesday, and is doing fine, and my son has hearing aids, because of the damage done to his ears. I didn't realise with my son till he was 3 1/2, because he was my first, and i just thought he wasn't paying attention (as kids often don't) If you're at all worried ask gp or health visitor for a referral.

At birth leigha had a hearing test and it came back fine but i will definately get it checked out just to be on the save side...thanks :)
The naughty step is also going into action...!

Oliver went through a phase of asking me the same question over & over again, luckily he seems to have stopped that for now. No doubt he'll start to do something else equally as annoying, lol!!!

My 3 year old son can be like that occasionally when he is in his 'pushing mummy to the limit mode'. Saying that tho my eldest dd's too who are 8 and 10 still try it at times lol

At birth leigha had a hearing test and it came back fine but i will definately get it checked out just to be on the save side...thanks :)

nicole has hearing problems aswell and her hearing test was fine when she was born. I have to constantly repeat myself to her. i woild defo get it checked out.

Good luck with both! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->