i just dont get it pre making feeds!

baba mccarthy

Reaction score
right im going out for day with baba what do i do about feeds! ive been told not to premake them and take them with me as this allows bacteria to grow so ive been told to take a flask of boiled water and a container with powder in and make the feeds up whilst out? is this what everyone does? i read somewhere that the temperture of the water has to be a certain degrees so when the milk hits the water it mixes and no bacteria grows?? is this correct if so the boiled water has to be a certain temperture?

what do u do when your going out for the day? do u take water and add feed even if your flask of water has gone cold? or do you premake them?:)

Take a carton of formula It is already sterile, if your baby will take from room temp then just serve, if not take a flask and eat up as needed. Or take formula in a pot

it's much safer xx

Nope, in my nhs birth to 5 years book it tells you how to premake bottles.

I had a maternity nurse and she told me to pour boiled water into the bottles and seal them, do all of the days bottles like this in the morning and leave on the side, then I take one of the bottles out with me and a pot of powder and mix it at room temp then give to baby.

Some people don't agree with this but my NCT friend, also a doctor also premade bottles this way and said it was fine.

Never caused any problems for me or lo.

The only problem with mixing the water at room temperature is that whilst the bottle is sterile and the water is the powder isnt.

i premake feeds add the milk to the boiling water then cool quickly in sink of cold water thren store in back of fridge they are fine fror up to 24hours x

I premake.
But Los nursery ask us to take water in bottles and add the powder when required.

I premake, and i dont have the option of cartons or 'adding the powder to room temp water' not that i would do the latter - because of reasons stated by Kala. I put them into bottle bags and then warm up when needed. and to be honest when the weather is this cold the bottles arnt going to get warm when your outside!!!!!! x

ETA: i dont have the option of cartons because LO is on comfort milk

I premake and warm in hot water or take the cartons of ready made formula. Depends if I've got any bottles already made up in the fridge. I only premake 4 at a time so they are never more than 12hrs old. I think as long as the premade bottle is taken from the fridge and kept cool and not out for hrs before used it's fine. I've taken 2 out before as I was out 6+hrs x

The safest way to do it is to premake the bottles with freshly boiled water (well cool for 5 - 20mins) cool them quickly in a pot of cold water then put them in the back of the fridge to cool them right down. When needed take them out in a cool bag - my TT bags say up to 6hours. I take a little flask of boiling water to heat them xx

We just took cartons with us. So much easier and its already sterile

The only problem with mixing the water at room temperature is that whilst the bottle is sterile and the water is the powder isnt.

Nothing else she sticks in her mouth is sterile either. Formula now adays has moved on a lot since 30 odd years ago.

I just follow what I've been advised by a doctor and maternity nurse, it works very well for us but it won't work for people who want to bring their lo up in a more sterile enviroment.

If Im only out a short while I pre-make one if all day I take water and add the powder when needed x

thank you girls for advice ... i think im gonna try all the different methods and see what works but its good to know what everyone is doing so thank u for replying x

i'm bf this time but ff my other 3 but would premake and still would xx

With my eldest I used to make up all the bottles for the day in the morning and put them in the fridge and warm or take out with us as necessary.

That was always fine then and if I was bottle feeding this time I'd do the same. Bacteria can live and breathe in anything if you let it.

I guess it's your own personal choice.

i premake all sophias bottles so just take one out with me and go to boots and warm it up in the bottle warmer or if im going for lunch all resturant round me will give hot water in a jug to heat up the bottle or occasionally i will buy a carton when im in town xx

i premake when in the house but use cartons when out and about.

<3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->