I knew i was right, weaning

3011busyyear

Reaction score
LO has never been a big eater, she's on 5oz every hours, but rarely finishes that. So when we had the weaning talk a few weeks ago I asked if she might just prefer food and if I should try weaning earlier. She waffled on about there being. No rush if she was satisfied....erm I was explaining how I didn't think she was, but more from boredom than amount.
So this week I started on baby rice and she LOVES it! I just gave her a few spoons at first but tonight she wolfed down the whole bowl :happydance:
I can't wait to introduce the next food, I'm thinking some blended veg, exciting times!

P.s she is 18weeks if anyone was wondering.

Bless, I love trying LO on new food, it is so exciting. I have found that he loves guacamole!

Do it! I've ignored the HV and the 6 month 'rule' on the basis that LO decided when she wanted to eat....by stealing food off people's plates!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!

my little one was taking 100+ oz....community midwives frowned at me...my lovely family nurse partnership health visitor went HELL YEAH DO IT!! haha! xxxx

Macy has never liked milk, I think it's due to all her problems with acid reflux and intolerance. She was on 2-3oz bottles every 4hours until she was 5 MONTHS!

Her weight gain and milk intake were ridiculously low and she was being syringe and spoon fed milk as every drop counted. She was weaned at 11 weeks under a paediatrician and paedaitric dietitian.

She LOVES food, best thing I ever did.

It would take me over an hour to feed her 1oz. But I can mix 3/4ounces of milk into a bowl of porridge and she wolfs it within 10mins.

I don't think there's anything wrong with weaning after 17weeks as long as you think your LO is ready. It obviously been great for your LO!!

I did lots of research on early weaning and actually found quite a few interesting studies suggesting introducing a range of foods after 4months but BEFORE 7months reduces the risk of allergies significantly and there is no difference between those introduced at 4months and those at 6. But early than 4months or later than 7months increased the risk of allergies.

Macy's paediatrician also told me that the guidelines will soon be changed to something like -

"Your baby should be weaned at any point between 17 and 26weeks when they are showing the appropriate signs of readiness such as.....)
xx

As far as I can see, the OP wasn't asking for opinions on weaning at all, she was sharing her excitement at a stage in her child's development, she didn't ask for a weaning debate, I don't usually post things like this but I get sick of reading posts where someone is sharing something about their baby and people's opinions are forced upon them without asking, makes me scared to post stuff to be honest... She didn't post this in the debate section

We started at 19 weeks too. I agree with you that I think my little man was just ready for some new flavours, showing an interest in our food and waking again over night. He has never been a big eater either and won't take more than a 5-6 oz bottle at any one time. I always thought I would wait till 6 months and just keep upping his bottles when he looked like he needed more but I just let him lick a bit of sweet potato off my finger a few weeks ago and he loved it! And we haven't looked back since. In fact I get the biggest smiles now when I bring in the bowl and spoon and he often gets a bit cross when its all gone. We've been doing it for 2 weeks now and I'm so glad I started when I did. I know I've not followed the 'official government' guidelines but I spoke to my HV and she was really supportive. Good for you hun and I hope you enjoy giving your little one new things as much as I have been and will continue to!

PS Toby absolutely loves mashed banana, have you tried that? It's so easy to prepare and doesn't really need pureeing if you mash it well. Also Boots organic apple and apricot cereal is goin down really well with him too (and I'll admit it smells yummy)!!!

xxxxxx

stardust599

I totally agree with you i weaned my little boy at 15 weeks he is now nearly 7 months and loves his food there is absolutely nothing wrong with him at all.

He also struggled with acid reflux and colic once weaned he had no problems at all and started to sleep through.

It great trying new foods

As far as I can see, the OP wasn't asking for opinions on weaning at all, she was sharing her excitement at a stage in her child's development, she didn't ask for a weaning debate, I don't usually post things like this but I get sick of reading posts where someone is sharing something about their baby and people's opinions are forced upon them without asking, makes me scared to post stuff to be honest... She didn't post this in the debate section

WSS

I wrote my comment after the OP asked why I had used a certain smiley. I wasn't looking for a debate, I was simply answering OP's question to me.

Thanks ladies, it is very exciting having struggled to feed my baby since birth.
Poppy7i hadn't actually thought it was that early tbh, in the weaning talk they were referring to starting weaning at 20w for most babies so I thought I was only a couple of weeks early. I won't be taking her to macdonalds anytime soon but a bit of baby rice just adds some flavour without overpowering her stomach at this stage so I think she'll be fine. I'll only introduce one new food a week so hope she will be fine. I reckon if she was bf things may be different but early weaning will just have to join the list of failings after bf, emcs, failed home birth etc etc etc :shrug:
Stardust gosh that must be tough. Glad Macy is enjoying her munchies now. What food do you find she likes? I want something gentle and easily digested next, any suggestions?

I wrote my comment after the OP asked why I had used a certain smiley. I wasn't looking for a debate, I was simply answering OP's question to me.

That's fine but the smiley in itself was provocation to your opinion, which the OP hadn't asked for

We started at 19 weeks too. I agree with you that

PS Toby absolutely loves mashed banana, have you tried that? It's so easy to prepare and doesn't really need pureeing if you mash it well. Also Boots organic apple and apricot cereal is goin down really well with him too (and I'll admit it smells yummy)!!!

xxxxxx

I was thinking banana but have heard it's best to try less sweet things early on so they don't get used to sweet food and reject others, have you found this or does Toby like a range of yummy foods?

Thanks ladies, it is very exciting having struggled to feed my baby since birth.
Poppy7i hadn't actually thought it was that early tbh, in the weaning talk they were referring to starting weaning at 20w for most babies so I thought I was only a couple of weeks early. I won't be taking her to macdonalds anytime soon but a bit of baby rice just adds some flavour without overpowering her stomach at this stage so I think she'll be fine. I'll only introduce one new food a week so hope she will be fine. I reckon if she was bf things may be different but early weaning will just have to join the list of failings after bf, emcs, failed home birth etc etc etc :shrug:
Stardust gosh that must be tough. Glad Macy is enjoying her munchies now. What food do you find she likes? I want something gentle and easily digested next, any suggestions?

You haven't failed in all of the things you mentioned above... :hugs: ....you clearly tried and not everything goes to plan so don't be hard on yourself.

I just have strong opinions on weaning before 6 months that's all. Ignore me, it's getting late and I've had a stressful day and still have a ton of work to do :hugs:

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

That's fine but the smiley in itself was provocation to your opinion, which the OP hadn't asked for

Please ginny, you seem to looking to start an arguement and firstly, I'm not that kind of person and secondly, I don't have the energy for it.

Please see my most recent post to the OP and leave it there.

My LO loves banana and sweet potato, he too was like your LO and absolutely loved his food from the off, a good tip I was given was to let them hold a spare spoon, he tries and helpsnow which is brilliant... And very messy! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->