I knew i was right, weaning

Poppy, I am really really not the type to start an argument believe me, you can trawl my other posts and see I only post stuff that I hope helps others or shares their excitement, I rarely post debates/opinions etc. I've also had a long day, we'll leave it there :flower:

Thanks ladies, it is very exciting having struggled to feed my baby since birth.
Poppy7i hadn't actually thought it was that early tbh, in the weaning talk they were referring to starting weaning at 20w for most babies so I thought I was only a couple of weeks early. I won't be taking her to macdonalds anytime soon but a bit of baby rice just adds some flavour without overpowering her stomach at this stage so I think she'll be fine. I'll only introduce one new food a week so hope she will be fine. I reckon if she was bf things may be different but early weaning will just have to join the list of failings after bf, emcs, failed home birth etc etc etc :shrug:
Stardust gosh that must be tough. Glad Macy is enjoying her munchies now. What food do you find she likes? I want something gentle and easily digested next, any suggestions?

It's lovely and such a relief to see them enjoying food so much when you've struggled with milk for so long isn't it. Your failings sound like mine lol - induction, BF, failed natural birth, baby led weaning. Oh well we're doing the best for our babies and that's all that matters!!

A few ideas -

Porridge - recommended gluten free until 6months though so not Heinz, good way to get extra milk in and can add different fruits every day
Pear - plain tasting and very gentle on the stomach, good next step for your LO
Carrot , butternut squash again, plain tasting and gentle
Bananas - gentle, sweet tasting and nutritious
Papaya - very nutritious, more exciting flavour but gentle on the stomach and actually aids digestion
Sweet potato - nutritious, more exciting flavour and more filling
Avocado (not til 6months as can be harder to digest) - a very very nutritious fat, calorie and vitamin packed superfood
avoid apples and bananas if your LO is prone to constipation

If you can manage then avoid jars cos they taste like wet cardboard and my LO now refuses to eat anything homemade after having mainly jars for a few weeks.

Also buy wholegrain/brown baby rice rather than white rice as it has many more natural vitamins and is easier to digest. Think organix is the only brand that do it.

wholesomebabyfood.com is fantastic xx

We started at 19 weeks too. I agree with you that

PS Toby absolutely loves mashed banana, have you tried that? It's so easy to prepare and doesn't really need pureeing if you mash it well. Also Boots organic apple and apricot cereal is goin down really well with him too (and I'll admit it smells yummy)!!!

xxxxxx

I was thinking banana but have heard it's best to try less sweet things early on so they don't get used to sweet food and reject others, have you found this or does Toby like a range of yummy foods?

I've been told that babies naturally like sweet things which one reason why things like carrot, parsnip and sweeto potato are good first foods as well as the fact that they puree so well.

We started weaning Fran just over a week ago when she was exactly 4 months. I just knew she was ready and I had a good chat with my hv - who actually brought the subject up before I could mention it - so we decided to give it a go.

I don't regret it at all because she is doing really well. We introduce something new every 3 days or so - I went on a weaning course and they say give every new food 3 days to make sure they aren't allergic - and so far she has had pureed carrot, apple and mashed potato.

On the 2nd day I held the spoon out for her to help me hold it. She immediately put it into her mouth and now she loves to help feed herself. I'm so proud of her :)

I'm so glad your LO is doing well xxx

Bigbetty, our lives seem to mirror each other! We always seem to be doing the same thing at the same time... I'm so pleased your gorgeous girl is enjoying weaning, she's just beautiful :flower:

As far as I can see, the OP wasn't asking for opinions on weaning at all, she was sharing her excitement at a stage in her child's development, she didn't ask for a weaning debate, I don't usually post things like this but I get sick of reading posts where someone is sharing something about their baby and people's opinions are forced upon them without asking, makes me scared to post stuff to be honest... She didn't post this in the debate section

I agree with this if you dont agree dont comment specially if it was only the OP sharing her excitment :thumbup:

Thanks ladies, it is very exciting having struggled to feed my baby since birth.
Poppy7i hadn't actually thought it was that early tbh, in the weaning talk they were referring to starting weaning at 20w for most babies so I thought I was only a couple of weeks early. I won't be taking her to macdonalds anytime soon but a bit of baby rice just adds some flavour without overpowering her stomach at this stage so I think she'll be fine. I'll only introduce one new food a week so hope she will be fine. I reckon if she was bf things may be different but early weaning will just have to join the list of failings after bf, emcs, failed home birth etc etc etc :shrug:
Stardust gosh that must be tough. Glad Macy is enjoying her munchies now. What food do you find she likes? I want something gentle and easily digested next, any suggestions?

You haven't failed in all of the things you mentioned above... :hugs: ....you clearly tried and not everything goes to plan so don't be hard on yourself.

I just have strong opinions on weaning before 6 months that's all. Ignore me, it's getting late and I've had a stressful day and still have a ton of work to do :hugs:

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I know the feeling x

LO has never been a big eater, she's on 5oz every hours, but rarely finishes that. So when we had the weaning talk a few weeks ago I asked if she might just prefer food and if I should try weaning earlier. She waffled on about there being. No rush if she was satisfied....erm I was explaining how I didn't think she was, but more from boredom than amount.
So this week I started on baby rice and she LOVES it! I just gave her a few spoons at first but tonight she wolfed down the whole bowl :happydance:
I can't wait to introduce the next food, I'm thinking some blended veg, exciting times!

P.s she is 18weeks if anyone was wondering.

My LO is just over 17 weeks and has completely lost interest in her bottles - she used to get so excited whenever I put her bib on and now it's a struggle to get her to take a full feed in one go. I really think she's just getting bored with her bottles because she always takes a large dreamfeed.

Good to hear that I'm not the only one with a LO like this, and glad weaning is going well for you :thumbup:

My reflux baby prefers milk but I"m not surprised to hear quite a few reflux babies preferring food - it's like an aversion developed to milk/bottles/BF from the pain...

It's lovely and such a relief to see them enjoying food so much when you've struggled with milk for so long isn't it. Your failings sound like mine lol - induction, BF, failed natural birth, baby led weaning. Oh well we're doing the best for our babies and that's all that matters!!

A few ideas -

Porridge - recommended gluten free until 6months though so not Heinz, good way to get extra milk in and can add different fruits every day
Pear - plain tasting and very gentle on the stomach, good next step for your LO
Carrot , butternut squash again, plain tasting and gentle
Bananas - gentle, sweet tasting and nutritious
Papaya - very nutritious, more exciting flavour but gentle on the stomach and actually aids digestion
Sweet potato - nutritious, more exciting flavour and more filling
Avocado (not til 6months as can be harder to digest) - a very very nutritious fat, calorie and vitamin packed superfood
avoid apples and bananas if your LO is prone to constipation

If you can manage then avoid jars cos they taste like wet cardboard and my LO now refuses to eat anything homemade after having mainly jars for a few weeks.

Also buy wholegrain/brown baby rice rather than white rice as it has many more natural vitamins and is easier to digest. Think organix is the only brand that do it.

wholesomebabyfood.com is fantastic xx

I agree with all those things. My little one particularly likes pear, squash and swede. I have started to mix the odd few things together too and he really likes carrot and swede mixed. I'm gonna try brocolli this week and parsnip on their own.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to give them a little yoghurt yet? Like the little petit filous ones?

xxxxx

I agree with all those things. My little one particularly likes pear, squash and swede. I have started to mix the odd few things together too and he really likes carrot and swede mixed. I'm gonna try brocolli this week and parsnip on their own.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to give them a little yoghurt yet? Like the little petit filous ones?

xxxxx

I've been wondering the same thing. I've got a few leaflets from my hv, will see if I can find any info and let you know xx

Bigbetty, our lives seem to mirror each other! We always seem to be doing the same thing at the same time... I'm so pleased your gorgeous girl is enjoying weaning, she's just beautiful :flower:

Thank you so much xx

How old is you LO now? I'm going to try Fran with some pear in her porridge tomorrow and then perhaps some banana.

He's 16 weeks, getting a little personality now, it's great, I give him some organix baby rice that's flavoured with banana in a morning, he loves it, he's now draining 8oz bottles of hungry baby every 3 hours, HV was great and suggested early weaning, it's a new thing to learn for us both! I find it quite daunting sometimes and found it quite a big decision to make but he is thriving and so much happier, he naps better now too, I think he was just always hungry, we have one night feed now too so he's less over tired in the day xxx

xxxxx

I've been wondering the same thing. I've got a few leaflets from my hv, will see if I can find any info and let you know xx

I wouldn't give petit filous to start with whenever you decide to do it as it has quite a bit of sugar in it - try the little yeo's or rachels first which are just natural organic yoghurt sweetened with fruit puree.

Re the petit flious (cannot spell sorry!) I remember reading that they shouldn't have dairy until past 6 months. In fact I'm sure I remember reading only certain fruit/veg purees, baby rice, baby porridge until 6 months. I could be wrong though?

I'm by no means an expert, I haven't tried Ava-Mae with anything yet. She still seems content with milk and is on 5x7oz bottles which seems ok for her age and she is still STTN and gaining half a lb a week, which she has done since birth. Plus she can't sit that well and doesn't really show much interest in food.

If I'm honest, I'm a bit scared about weaning her, as I'm scared about doing something wrong and making her sick! :(

Oh someone mentioned about giving a new food every 3 days because of allergies. I was told by HV that you don't need to do this really unless there is a history of allergies in family.

Oh and OP really happy your LO is loving eating!

xxx

This topic is contraversal, especially in here, so be prepared for some comments.

I am happy for you that it is working out and that she is enjoying it!

blondey - I'm pretty sure you are right about no dairy until 6 months.

EmmaM2 - I've heard about petit filous containing a lot of sugar so was going to see about natural yoghurt, but as Fran has only just turned 4months I think we will wait anyway xx

Edit - just checked my notes from the weaning course I went on and it says no dairy until 6 months xx

I started weaning my LO at 17 weeks, she sounds like your LO OP! Wasn't interested in milk, her milk intake was just going downhill as was her weight.

I skipped the baby rice though and went straight for vegetables! She loves sweet potato... when I gave her an apple puree this morning for brekkie she had a paddy when it was finished cause she wanted more :shock: She kept looking at the pot then at me and looking grumpy :haha:

I love that pic of your little one louppy, where she has her arms folded, it's gorgeous!! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->