• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I know it's not new but anyone else really hacked off about the child benefit cuts?

porkypig

Reaction score
I'd like to say first of all that I'm really lucky that dh has a good job and so do I, although I'm only part time at the mo and believe that there are people who genuinely need it but I was reading and article where the dh earned £44,000 and she earned £21,000 and she was able to receive it. My dh earns just over £50,000 and I earn about £13,000 but we don't receive it even though our combined income is less than there's- wtf is the logic in that? Do you think they'll ever change it?

Whilst it doesn't affect me and DH earns just under the threshold but I do think they have made a massive cock up and it should go on combined income rather than what one earns as potentially you can have a couple earning £80k (£40k each) & still get CB but then you have people like yourself that don't qualify. It's madness!

I don't think they will change it anytime soon. The government were aware of the cockup before they implemented it and still went ahead.

If it goes to combined, we would then lose CB, which isn''t a big problem for us as we don't 'need' it (still gets spent mind you!).

Probably not. I think it should go to those that really need it! We earn 35k combined and it comes in very handy. The price of living is crazy where we live.
We aren't entitled to any other benefit. I think the current system is very unfair and it should be based on total household income rather than how much one person earns :flower:

it just doesnt make sense; who are these idiotic politicians and how they let it go ahead is beyond me. my taxes are probably going to people who earn more than us combined!!! its just ludicrous x

It doesn't make sense the way they've decided to do it. It should be done on household income over £50,000 not an individual income.

I'm a single mum & will qualify (just) until I argue my pay increase in Dec then it'll get stopped. Rubbish!

I don't 'need' it but I certainly want it ! I've paid a hefty wack of tax into the system of years and all I'm entitled to is £20 a week. Arseholes, I'll be taking it for as long as I can, it'll go in handy as extra spends for my Mummy Coffee Mornings!

Child benefit is to pay for clothes days out etcfor your childs benefit, not extra coffeenmornings. .. annoying.

Child benefit is to pay for clothes days out etcfor your childs benefit, not extra coffeenmornings. .. annoying.

Thanks but clearly as I stated I don't actually NEED the money - I can already afford the best for her without the measly £20 the Gov want to give me. So I will spend it willy nilly until my pay rise when it's whipped from under my nose!

What is the threshold? How does it work?
I've always been told we're not entitled to anything. I earn about £14k (part time) and DH earns about £25k.
xx

I've always been told we're not entitled to anything. I earn about £14k (part time) and DH earns about £25k.
xx

An individual income in any household over £50,000. So mum OR dad.

You are entitled to child benefit and should already be getting that!

i agree it should be per household rather then per indivudal. the treshhold is £40k each.

i just put our in a savings account for my son, and i will top up the amount i get for number two to match his brothers.

xx

Thanks.
We get £81.20 p/month. Is that child benefit, then, yeah?
xx

xx

Thanks.
We get £81.20 p/month. Is that child benefit, then, yeah?
xx

Yeah that's the one!

Unfortunately, the higher up the earnings ladder you wont be entitled to any other help! But CB is (was) for everyone....now just the people who earn over £50,000 can't claim.

I think it is unfair, im just worried they rectify it by taking it off us although neither me or my dh are near 40k pay a month! Just think it may be the tip of the iceberg and everyone will loose out eventually.

Agree it should be combined income.

Also, as for it just being spent on childs clothes etc, thats not how i do it either, all money into the household goes into one pot and the money goes where needs be- whether that be clothes, food, school trips, or something for the house- the children get way more spent on them what we get in child benefit anyway!

I think it's the same for income support I rung up because I'm leaving my job do seeing what I'm entitled to but because my oh works 40 hrs a week we don't qualify which is fine however we would be entitled to it if I worked 16 hrs and him 30hrs which combined would be 46hrs it just didn't make sense to me at all! Lol I don't think they've actually sat down and thought it through when sorting out who's entitled to what.

The logic does sound silly but I find it hard to feel sorry for people earning over £50k a year, when for many child benefit means so much.

Thanks but clearly as I stated I don't actually NEED the money - I can already afford the best for her without the measly £20 the Gov want to give me. So I will spend it willy nilly until my pay rise when it's whipped from under my nose!

If its soooo measly and you don't need it do the decent thing and donate it to charity rather than spend it on pointless crap.

We lost ours, £135 a month is a lot to lose :(. Part of me could accept it at a push if it was done fairly, but it isn't which is what annoys me most.

It won't be changed back, labour have already said they won't change back if they get in

If its soooo measly and you don't need it do the decent thing and donate it to charity rather than spend it on pointless crap.

With all due respect, do not make assumptions on where my money currently goes when you clearly would have no idea at all. That is a very rude thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->