I know it's not new but anyone else really hacked off about the child benefit cuts?

Argh sorry not doing a good job of quoting on my phone- will tidy it up sorry!

I stand by my opinion, so in your case your OH was bringing in 50k and allowing you to struggle financially in that you needed the gov's £20? To me that's wrong. A single mother on income support wouldn't carry on claiming and getting supported by the government if her working OH moved in :shrug: Her OH would be expected to cough up or not move in![\B]

I understand that you adapt to the money you have incoming but when you bring home in excess of £3K per month- I really fail to see how £80 a month makes any difference financially. [\B] Debt is a lifestyle choice, people on benefits can live within their means and not get into debt, so can the rich. Debt just means you have overspent somewhere along the line, and again.. not down to the gov to stump up to ease finances.

Not having a dig at you individually, just yet to hear of a case where a high earning household needed child benefit.

I think you have a totally valid point but just wanted to say re the above-

Of course the family you mention above would still be supported by the government if they needed it- housing benefit, council tax reductions, child tax credit, income support, milk and veg vouchers etc. I don't think they would all be taken away if a man moved in would they? Or did I completely get the wrong end of the stick sorry :lol:

Also, with regards to the £20 not making a difference- I think it's worth clarifying exactly what child benefit is supposed to be: an inclusive social security paid to mothers (primarily) to be spent on the children's enrichment. If we're still talking about a family with one earner at 50k and a sah parent, then it's fair to assume that the wages are spent on living and the child benefit paid to the mother is to be spent on the children. It's about 1.3k annually, which is now having to be found in your living expenses.

Regardless of that, child benefit was introduced to support families and children and enrich them for the good of society. It wasn't strictly introduced as a benefit for the empoverished families in society- there are many many other benefits and social securities which are there to support and help the lowest earners. Child benefit was supposed to be used to help all families.

Her income support and milk tokens would stop and housing benefit and council tax benefit would be massively reduced dependent on his earnings (if not gone completely!) my point was- in that situation there would be no way the man could not support his new family and choose to keep his wages separate from the family as the mother would loose all her money!

And I agree with the princliple of CB and but when high earners are saying that their children have all they need and the £20 would be spent on their coffee mornings (as an example) I think the system needs to change as it's just a huge waste of funds! Of course someone who earns £3K a month doesn't need financial help to raise their children so what's the point? I'm glad it's been capped and think it should be for joint or single earners!

It is silly that it is done on one income not household, I don't understand the logic, however, I think my sympathies are reserved for those whose lives are affected on a basic level from benefit cuts such as DLA, people who are struggling to pay their bills and feed their families.

I find it pretty vulgar people on here have claimed they like their money for "Mummy coffee mornings" or it's a "measly" £20, I think it goes to show how out of touch some people are from the lives of others and how insensitive they are when you see the amount of financial worries that are posted in this forum.

Perhaps they should also cap it for people living outside uk too, and after a certain amount of kids?
Xx

I'd like to see an opt-out system like heating credit for pensioners.

If its so measly then you wont miss it the will you when your wage goes up to 50k+ :)

My partner earns 15k a year and I earn 7k a year. The extra £80 a month is so important to us. I agree that CB should bepaid based on combined income. Being able to earn 49k each and still get £80 a month CB is ridiculous.

50k is a massive amount of money to live on. A previous poster said about their mortgage and their car payment totalling about 2000 a month alone and so 50k a year relly isnt that much? Well, reality check, you certainly dont need to spend that much money on those two things. Especially the car. Fair enough with the mortgage as property prices obviously vary from place to place etc but to spend £1000 a month on a car payment? What the hell?

Those are choices that you have made. If you want a bigger house and ridiculously expensive car then thats fine, you have the money to do that. But I dont see why the government then has to subsidise you to pay towards the upbringing of your child(ren). :nope:

Its a load of bollocks isn't it. It should go off combined income. Ridiculous. Doesn't affect me but I'd be pissed off if I were you. My child benefit is kept in a seperate account and is used solely on my son. It makes a big difference to us. I'm very grateful for it. Xx

It is silly that it is done on one income not household, I don't understand the logic, however, I think my sympathies are reserved for those whose lives are affected on a basic level from benefit cuts such as DLA, people who are struggling to pay their bills and feed their families.

I find it pretty vulgar people on here have claimed they like their money for "Mummy coffee mornings" or it's a "measly" £20, I think it goes to show how out of touch some people are from the lives of others and how insensitive they are when you see the amount of financial worries that are posted in this forum.

exactly. Our child benefit is being paid on monday £80 if we didnt get this monday we wouldnt be eating for the next week!!!

so its v insulting calling it measily as we DONT have any other benefits., my dh works full time and we struggle. £20 a week can be the difference between eating or not.

yes i appreciate that high incomes pay more tax ect and without them there would be not much money in the pot but i feel saddened that some people dont have a clue about how people struggle.
yes we used to have well over 50k but then everything went wrong and we were left with little money. i just hope people think a little more as u can have everything (financially) and it can always be taken away just as quickly.

They should do away with cb and tie it into tax credits as a new element of ctc.

Sense of entitlement for some people makes me so angry and is exactly what's wrong with this country.

They should do away with cb and tie it into tax credits as a new element of ctc.

Sense of entitlement for some people makes me so angry and is exactly what's wrong with this country.

I completely agree it should be done off the same system as tax credits. That would make so m7ch more sense as it would keep admin costs down to put it all through one system.

If a family's wealthy they don't need it!! There are alot of single working parents that still struggle really bad that use that money for nappys, milk n things to tide them over, where as others wouldnt even know its even in their bank accounts! Just my opinion

I completely agree it should be done off the same system as tax credits. That would make so m7ch more sense as it would keep admin costs down to put it all through one system.

Well imo the tax credit system was a complete disaster as it was. Im not sure if its better now as we no longer get it but i couldnt imagine what it would be like if it was to issue cb as well!

I've had zero issues with tax credits in the almost 5 years ive used them :shrug:

Same here but I am always terrified of a balls up!

There were a lot of problems when they changed from working families tax credit to working tax and child tax, a lot of people ended up owing big sums of money back

I had a few issues with tax credits. They stopped for a few months because fob is not a british citizen but I am and my son was born here so that shouldn't have affected child tax credit. However I got fully back payed to his birth date. Even after that small issue though I still find it a really good system and again I'm very grateful its available, without it I'd be stuck!! Xx

How people think they can't live without £80 a month cb when they earn over 50K is laughable... If you can't manage on 50k then I think you need to look at what crap your wasting money on.

We get £16,000 a year and we more than manage and have money left to spend and save.

Where are these people going wrong :shrug:. Perhaps lessons in money management

Or cut down on less coffee mornings :dohh:.

There's people on here that have REAL money worries and that "measly" £20 a week as described means ALOT to them..... Its rather insensitive to then worry how your luxuries are now going to paid for when its cut from your high wage packets

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->