I lied!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamandy

Reaction score
So a few minutes before the first glucose test I went to drivethru mcdonalds and ate a chicken sandwich and a strawberry Sundae. I had called the clink and asked about the policy and they said I could eat so I did right?

The results came back and the dr said my test came back high. So I did the required fasting for the second test from midnight on and on the way to the test, I had a sick aftertaste in my mouth and chewed sugarless gum and didn't think much of it. However, as the nurse was drawing my blood she noticed my chewing and told me that the gum could affect the results and to come back another day.
I was so embarrassed that I told my husband who was waiting in the waiting room that they ran out of glucose drink!! My husband was furious but he insisted on driving to another clinic the same day!!

I'm now sitting in the waiting room of another lab wondering if anyone ever chewed gum before their test and it came back normal?!

Perhaps you should read the instructions the doctor gives you from now on.

If its sugar free i cant see it affecting the results. If it does i cant imagine by much.

Hopefully that answers slightly more usful :wacko:

I know a girl who chewed gum and it she still passed the test.
I think gum is tricky because it doesn't really fall into the food category.

i agree, if it was sugarless then i highly doubt it would affect ur results? ..
wouldnt worry too much, but if it has affected it, then is it not easily repeated ..
Good Luck :) x

If its sugar free i cant see it affecting the results. If it does i cant imagine by much.

Hopefully that answers slightly more usful :wacko:

Yes thank you. I've been googling like mad and some clinics instructions say it's ok if it's sugar free and others say not to chew gum. I guess I'll wait and see.:/!!

I'm sorry that there seems to be certain people on this board giving rude answers that are certainly not helpful, you shouldn't have to put up with that.

However, I wouldn't of thought sugar free gum would be too much of a problem. Fx'd everything goes ok for you :)

If it helps... I had 3 tic tacs before my fasting test as I had been sick on way to hospital and water wasn't cutting it. It didn't seem to do anything to pin prick which was in range for fasting and my results came back ok. Xx

I had a similar experience. I had my glucose test and was chewing gum when I went in. The nurse noticed and said I couldn't have the test, I showed her the pack and it was sugar free so she said it would be fine. Results came back normal.

We get a Keller and even sugar free gum can affect results. The leaflet says no heavy meal after 7pm complete fasting from midnight. Fasting includes no water or gum sugar free or otherwise. Sorry hun I don't think your test results will be accurate.

I had breakfast two hours before my text xx and my results we're normal
I think sugar free gum should be fine x

Ooh when I had my GTT I was told that I could chew sugar free gum and have tiny sips of water during the fasting period. I did chew gum from when I woke up in the morning until I had my first blood draw, maybe a couple of hours, and I passed my GTT.

If they come back abnormal just ask the nurse can you get them done again. Just tell her it wasn't until you got home that you realised you had forgotten about the gum. Who cares what she thinks. She won't know or care about previous tests. Anyway you probably never see her again.

You can always tell you oh that the results were inconclusive and the test needs to be redone.

Good luck :winkwink:

I'm sorry that there seems to be certain people on this board giving rude answers that are certainly not helpful, you shouldn't have to put up with that.

However, I wouldn't of thought sugar free gum would be too much of a problem. Fx'd everything goes ok for you :)

THANK YOU! For pointing that out.Some people just think they can talk to others any way they like. I guess some people just have all the answers! Lol

OP: I hope things work out for you too!

Does this forum have anything like neg reps? Like an opposite Ty button. Or block feature.just curious. Some of these comments make me over emotional. Rude for no reason makes no sense. And if ur having a bad day, try to avoid responding

And hopefully ur results turn out fine op. And that was nice of ur hubby to be so concerned and take u somewhere else.

Try not to worry about it. I'm sure if its sugarfree it won't affect it too much.

I was told for mine I could eat before hand, just nothing with sugar in it. I ended up not eating, pretty much fasting as I knew anything I'd eat could sku the results. I did bring a bottle of water though as I knew the drink could most likely make me sick. After drinking the crap, I asked the lab tech if I could drink water in the hour wait (I had a doctor's appt and wanted to make sure my bladder was full enough to pee in a cup, lol), and she told me I could take a sip (one sip only) but couldn't drink anything or eat anything until after they drew my blood.

Does this forum have anything like neg reps? Like an opposite Ty button. Or block feature.just curious. Some of these comments make me over emotional. Rude for no reason makes no sense. And if ur having a bad day, try to avoid responding

And hopefully ur results turn out fine op. And that was nice of ur hubby to be so concerned and take u somewhere else.

That is a really good question. Idk if there is a block feature. Sometimes admin will delete a post if there are too many negative posts or if people answer off topic. I dont even know if or how a post can be reported. The negativity gets to me that way too.

Thanks for all the helpful answers:)

I try to ignore the negative answers as i just dismiss it as someone having a hormonal day:shrug:

I'll see on Tuesday....keep you posted

I hope your results are good! I will be checking for an update, because I'm just curious as to whether the gum affects it or not. : )

(It does seem like sugar free would be okay??)

I have to admit I might have giggled a little at the story you gave your hubby--I'm glad he didn't complain to the clinic about running out of supplies. ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"