i like the full name but not when its shortened

KatyR

Reaction score
Hi

DH loves the name Elliott and so do I but i like names that can be shortened and it would be shortened to Eli. Could it be anything else?

Lee as in El-LEE-ott

personally i love Elliott as a full name and wouldnt shorten it.

I only know one person called Elliot, it was never shortened. If I was going to shorten it, it would be to "El" but even then I don't think I would call someone that. I don't really think its a name that can be shortened; usually the names shortened sound the same as the full name like Chris for Christopher or dave for David. Eli doesn't sound like Elliot and I don't think people would use lee either as its a bit random

Xx

I would say he's more likely to get called Elliott or 'Els' for short than Eli (which I assume you're pronouncing Eel-eye). Earl gets called 'Earls' by most people so I'm going by that.

I love the name but fear it would be too many 'E' names lol.

for a boy or girl?

shortenings can be:

Eli
Ellie (my ex got this with his name Ellison)
El/Elle
Lee
Lottie (probably best for a girl)

you could chose not to shorten it, but as he/she grows they might want a nickname and that's their choice

I have an Eliot in my family. He's never had his name shortened(to my knowledge) He has always been Eliot to everyone!

I know a little Elliot and to my knowledge nobody shortens it apart from his mum who sometimes calls him her little 'Ellie the elephant', due to the fact he is a bit of a chubby bubba :haha:

ps: I really like Elliot :flower:

I wouldn't shorten it. If anyone shortened it then you could correct them. It's not the kind of name you would shorten I don't think.

My son is Tyler. When I was pregnant I swore I would never call him ty as I didn't like it shortened. I now call him ty on a daily basis :rofl:

I would say he's more likely to get called Elliott or 'Els' for short than Eli (which I assume you're pronouncing Eel-eye). Earl gets called 'Earls' by most people so I'm going by that.

I love the name but fear it would be too many 'E' names lol.

Me and my two sisters are: Samantha, Sue & Sarah. (My cousins are Sharon & Scott!)

OP-Why would it get shortened? I've known plenty of Elliots who are Elliot's. Certainly wouldn't shorten it to Eli, it's a completely different sounding name.

My son is named Donovan and I was so afraid people would shorten his name and call him Donnie. I hate the shortened version. He's 4 now and I've never heard anyone shorten it. Elliot is a great name. Just use the long version and never shorten it.

We're naming our son Elliott. I don't really consider there to be a shortened version of the name. Eli really is a completely different name and sound. One of the things I like the most about the name is that there isn't an obvious nickname, actually, as I'm generally not a fan of shortening names. Nicknames will still probably pop up, they do with most names, but I like that there won't really be an assumption that he goes by a short version of his "proper" name.

Thanks ladies, think we have pretty much decided on Elliot. Love the name and guess if anyone shortens it ill just correct them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->