I made my baby ill :(

Kitten

Mummy to Theakston & Nyah
Reaction score
Since mid-morning he's been a bit bleurgh, not whingy but just not feeding properly or sleeping for any length of time. Everytime he was hungry I gave him his Infacol and then tried to feed him but he'd just start screaming and eventually would pass out on my shoulder after a few minutes so I figured he was overtired but he's been alert pretty much all day feeding very rarely and for short amounts of time. I was getting a bit panicky about it because 'poor feeding' was one of the strep signs I was told to watch for but because he was so alert otherwise I put it to the back of my mind. Anyway, I forgot his Infacol at the next feed and again he only fed for about 4 mins (instead of 10+) so I thought I'd give him some gripe water. I got about half a teaspoon in his mouth and he started doing his coughing & gagging routine that he does when you try and give him anything but milk but then all of a sudden he just threw up the most ridiculous amount of sick ever and started screaming the house down. I passed him to Sam and tried to mop it up wondering how the hell he had that much milk in his system when he threw up the same amount again all over DH :shock: He gets so distressed when he's sick and there was so much of it and I just lost it and burst into tears. DH took him upstairs to clean him up and I was sat on my bed debating whether to ring NHS direct cos I was convinced it was the strep kicking in. I had to bath him to clean up the sick (and it's Sunday - bath day) and I put him on the table and was actually debating whether he was 'floppy' and stuff :dohh: Anyway, we took his nappy off and he'd done the tiniest poo but it was green which is a sure sign he's got a poorly tummy. It was at that point that I remembered we got Pizza Hut last night and I had green chillies on mine which burnt my mouth to hell so god knows what it did to my digestive system - and clearly my milk. Since getting out of the bath he's had a 7minute feed and a half hour nap and a 20minute feed and he's just gone down again. I can't believe I made him so ill, I feel awful :cry:

Babe....it's probably just coincidence. Indian Mummies still eat chillies and spicy stuff and feed their baby, I've never eaten anything differently or avoided stuff when breastfeeding.

He may have just had a lot of wind or mucous and it's made him sick. Once they've got rid of it all they're usually ok babe....it won't be anything you've done:nope::hugs:

Finn had recurrent bouts of vomitting and screaming before I figured out it was tomatoes (after I ate particularly nasty pesto that stuck in my mind cos I disliked it I noticed the pattern). Seriously, I took him to the Doctors twice and they were NO help.But he's fine with chillis!

But like Hevz said it might be coincidence, and you can't really know what think makes a baby puke in advance and you can't avoid everything!

Thanks girls, I just feel so awful for not realising he was ill. I mean, obviously I noticed he wasn't eating but because he was alert and not crying unless I tried to feed him I just figured he was maybe changing his feeding pattern or something when all the poor lamb needed was something to make him sick and get it out of his system. If only I'd thought to have used the gripe water earlier instead of pumping him full of bloody infacol he might have had a better day :( I can't wait til he can bloody tell me when he's ill!

Well, it to me weeks to figure it out cos I dont eat tomatoes much. Don't hold your breath on the telling you what it wrong from cos my OH makes a spot of gas sound like appendicitis. Plus toddlers can tell you they have a sore throat to get the nice tasting medicine :rofl:

have you given him gripe water before> just asking cos the only 2 times ive given it to ROo she has had exactly the same reaction... projectile vomitting! it clearly doesnt agree with her so ive binned it now..

I'm so glad I read this post. I had a horrid few hours this morning with George seeming to feel really uncomfy, sore tum, not feeding well, wind and very sicky thru' today. I too am feeling bad incase its something I ate and also wondering if there's something I've started doing wrong with the BF'ing coz he kept dropping his latch, taking in air and making himself feel worse...

Luckily he seems better this afternoon but helps to know I'm not alone.

I hadn't given him gripe water before, it smelled the same as Dentinox though and he does OK with that. I think the being sick was a good thing for him because he's back to being himself today but I don't think I'll give him gripe water on a regular basis!!

Hope George is feeling better soon too Joey x

We had this with Halen after I had nachos from Pizza Hut that have Jalepenoes sp? on them, and a spicy salsa.

He does the projectile vomiting and the tiny green poo. I've just stopped eating them :(

My cousin has this, she can eat chillies or her little girl gets sick. I guess there is still some food you'll have to avoid when breastfeeding. It's not your fault though, just if you notice anything you eat makes him sick don't eat it again!

Thanks ladies, I guess it's just trial and error but it's horrible to think something so simple can upset them so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->