I might be a hypochondriac.... But iron deficient anemia?

kmr1763

DH, DS1, DD1, DD2, DS2
Reaction score
I was just tested for thyroid function because I have been have extreme hair loss for the past two weeks. None of the other symptoms made sense to me except fatigue... Anyway tests came back normal and so I've been researching what else could be causing my issue... And came up with iron deficient anemia. I've been anemic before when I was much younger... And honestly they symptoms make more sense... Hair loss, fatigue, shortness of breath, bowel issues... Anyway. But my next appointment is three weeks away. My hospital is completely understaffed so I know I won't be able to get in early. Should I call and ask for my iron to ve checked or am I safe to wait until my appointment? Pretty sure my prenatal has no iron, but I used it with my second baby and had no issues.
Advice ladies?

I'd start taking some iron even a low dose it takes a little while to built up. If you are anemic they will start you on some. Can you get a GP appointment while waiting for hospital appointment ?

Haha I had posted in my local group and the hospital triage nurse is in the group and told me to call in the morning. So I imagine I'll be getting Bloods tomorrow. I read that you shouldn't self dose iron in case it isnt a deficiency because too much iron is baaaad for you.

I was checked for anemia when I had my GD (glucose) test done last week. I hadn't taken my prenatal vitamin in 2 days due to a hectic birthday weekend for DD and it came back anemic so they told me to get a supplement. My vitamin has 30 mg of iron or 167% of my daily value so I'm wondering if it's because I missed them or if I really am anemic. I'd hate to take too much and they won't recheck for weeks.

Haha I had posted in my local group and the hospital triage nurse is in the group and told me to call in the morning. So I imagine I'll be getting Bloods tomorrow. I read that you shouldn't self dose iron in case it isnt a deficiency because too much iron is baaaad for you.

Fair enough I'm usually anemic or on the low side anyway so didn't know you could have too much , sorry for the bad advice 😩hopefully you will get to the root of the problem soon and feel better.

Was great advice-- if I knew I had to wait I would probably go ahead and start a low dose...

Purple I think you don't need to worry-- from what I understand it takes time for iron to build up, so two days probably wouldn't lower you to anemic!!!!

Did you have symptoms and that's why you were diagnosed? Or was it routine testing? I've been having symtpoms and that's why I'm checking into it... But I have a friend who thinks I am overreacting... And it's actually hurt my feelings.

I have regular blood test anyway so it's usually picked up then. Ask then to check your vitamin B12 levels when checking your iron I often find I'm low in both. Symptoms wise I can't help I have antoimmune problems anyway so I wouldn't necessarily notice any symptoms.
As for your friend iron deficiency is fairly common in pregnancy so it makes sense to get it checked out its not like you think you have some weird rare disease you found on Dr Google so I wouldn't listen to her.

The symptom I am having that's freaked me out is excessive hair loss... And my doctor checked for thyroid and the nurse called me today to say tests were normal. So I start looking into it more and discover iron deficiency makes waaaay more sense and can cause hair loss! I haven't lost that first tri fatigue and I've been having horrid headaches almost daily... I'm confused as to why my doctor didn't think to check iron levels.... Anyway, so she thinks I'm overreacting to these symptoms because she's "had them with every pregnancy and everything was fine..." Hahah I'm obviously venting, sorry!!

Taking a vitamin with a little iron won't be bad for you and baby. If it worries you you can try taking two children's flint stones vitamins a day that have iron in them. . Also, vit D deficiency can screw with you too.

Vent away I've being doing it all weekend otherwise I'd feel like a crazy woman sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->