I need a bit of advice... (great-overbearing-grandparents)

preggored

Reaction score
I am mentally ready to explode. I have played the sweet granddaughter, that took all the advise (didn't mean I took it) and I heard it out. I mean all the advise, all the personal space they have taken from me. It's unreal.

First they raised me, my mother told me they were overbearing with her, making her let me sleep with them so they knew I was cared for, she basically left me until I was about 3, and my dad finally put his foot down, and they took care of me from then on out. I really thought she was being overdramatic, until I started living it.

I manage their company and my son gets to come with me, which btw I love, but they are up here.

First I had a clothes for my son, some dirty others aren't, some were too small. My grandmother asked about them. I said I would sort through them, wash them, and the others I would give away. I told her he gets a rash if I don't use a certain kind of soap, so I'll take care of it. Well that night she drives to the grocery store, washes everything in the wrong soap. So she tells me she washed it all and wants him in a sleeper that she washed. I questioned her on the soap, well its the kind that makes him breaks out. Told her we couldn't use it, she got upset. I wouldn't of brought it up unless she wanted to put him in one right then. Told me I was being difficult and she spent all that money and now I just being a witch. :wacko::wacko:

Then they call the lawn service for our house when they think it's time to be mowed. We got home from the SO's family 8 hours away to a freshly mowed yard that weekend, we had someone coming that tuesday. I called and thanked them, but begged them to PLEASE tell me, so I could have put things up, if they really want to worry about the yard. I have my show horse in the backyard, I don't want those people messing with him or scaring him. Then our dogs have a section of the backyard that they weedeatted and mowed with the dogs in there. We told them we had a service on a schedule but they said their guy was better. SO feels like they don't understand personal space, but his patience is wearing thin. They have done this 3 times, everytime they won't tell me, they'll say, Oh we talked to him last night, or the day before and didn't want to bother you, it's not a big deal, etc. Like freaking seriously, this last time my horse ended up with 25 stitches and show season gone because he got scared of the weedeater and decided to tried to jump the fence. I told them, they said we're only trying to help. SO was pissed after spending 500 dollars on something that shouldn't of been done with a vet bill. :dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh:

My grandfather comes in the office, which is every hour lol, even when I'm playing with him tries to grab him from me, starts talking to him to get his attention away from me, when he cries he tells me to give him to him(which most people I would have killed if they tried it). My friend tried to take him from me when he got upset, I nearly was ready to cut her. I made a comment that he needs to go to daycare because I can't handle them trying to take over, they get really upset and don't talk to me for a day or so. My SO has said a couple things but always says it perfectly but they defect and don't listen.

They just keep doing good deeds and I really do enjoy it. You know we even got a house cleaner now, because I needed it, not complaining about that one, just weird about having someone wash my underwear, I don't know.

We both are private and independent people, but it's to the point where the SO said it's like we don't even have our own space. They don't worry about their stuff, just ours or my uncles. Who is 40 and my grandparents get his yard done, and pays his bills for him with his money. My grandmother just had back surgery and ended up in the ICU because she wouldn't slow down.

While she was out I was taking care of the business and a 3 month old. Now their back and act like I have no idea what I'm doing, even though they told me I did a great job handling everything. Talking calls 24/7 for 3 months, working 8 to 5 Monday thru Friday, doing 3 peoples job.

I mean when he cries I want him, I want to take care of him, finally yesterday I told them after she mixed size 2 diaper and size 3 into the same bag after I had it sorted. "He's mine, I love y'all but let me enjoy being a mother, I want him, please stop trying to take over every part of my life, I can handle it." Overboard alittle now that I typed that. They've always been controlling and in my business, like going through my mail for statements, telling me I shouldn't of bought this, I shouldn't do this, I shouldn't hang out with these people.

But now having a family we want us to do this. A lot of this stuff like the yard and house cleaning was a few months after I had my son. We can handle cleaning our own house, and hiring someone to do our yard. Hell the SO thinks its awesome that the yard gets mowed, but doesn't like them not telling us when. My grandparents are in their late 70's. I want them in our life, but I want them to back off just a bit out of mine. I feel like a jerk even typing this, but my breaking point has been met. I want them to step back alittle, but everytime I talk about it, they get really pissed, say I'm a witch, then not look at him for days.

My grandmother told me this morning that she wants nothing to do with him because I'm a $itch and I better not let the SO's family have anything to do with him either. I mean I asked for alittle space and they blow up. Is it wrong that I want space, how would someone handled this? I know their older but dang it I just don't want my life dictated. What can I do??

Honestly if I had family that acted like that I would do my best to keep my distance. I wouldn't want my kids around them at all! Do they disrespect you this way in front of your child? I would be worried they would eventually have this type of behavior toward your child if at some point he doesn't live up to their expectations or something. There is no reason for them to call you names and threaten you because they are not getting to run your lives. Even though some of their gestures seem nice (lawn care, cleaning etc) it makes it seem more like a control thing rather than to help you out. Their overall behavior seems abusive and controlling and its obvious its not something new if they did the same thing with your mother. I will say this, if anyone tried to tell me I had to leave my kid with them and basically try to raise my kid instead of letting me do it they wouldn't be in our lives at all! I cant believe tour mom let them do that when you were so young just because they were overbearing.

I agree with PP, their "nice" gestures seem to be a manipulative tactic - they do something nice for you so that when they try to control you and your family you allow them to do it because of the nice things they have done. They aren't trying to help you out, they are manipulating you. You obviously still want them in your life, so if I were you I would let them know that you would like to remain close with them, but you will be distancing yourself until they can show you some respect and stop trying to control your family. And then stick to your guns and keep your distance. This is not a healthy environment for a child to grow up in. They sound like awful, controlling, manipulative people and this is bordering on psychological abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->