I need a well paid job :(

beth_terri

Reaction score
I really don't know what to do! I just keep going round in circles trying to decide what to do.

While I want to be a midwife more than anything, Ive already been trying to get there for three years with no luck, I don't know how many more years I can keep trying before it will happen, in the mean time earning pence!

I need a well paid job and I'm willing to work hard for it! I just don't know what :/

Do I go to uni to do something else? Ive got so many interests, just non of them come close to wanting to be a midwife.

My oh is on minimum wage and working for a fitness company. We never see eachother and hes going to work himself to the ground the hours hes doing. He gets in from work tonight at 2am, then he has to get up at 5.30am to go to the fitness job, then other work again at 3pm. :(

your poor OH, that sounds like really tough going :( is that even allowed? :(

if I were you and had my heart set on midwifery I wouldn't go to uni and do something else, what were the reasons you haven't been accepted on the course so far?

If you were my little sister this is what I'd be telling you. Get a nice easy job that'll keep you going bUT keep focusing on what you really want to do, do whatever it takes to get into your midwifery course. It's so important to enjoy what you do. Hope you get sorted. Xx

Is it possible to do nursing then move over to midwifery? Od also give that ago, it's easier to switch courses once youre already in.

Is it possible to do nursing then move over to midwifery? Od also give that ago, it's easier to switch courses once youre already in.

You can't do that with midwifery unfortunately. Places are so minimal the unis only take people THEY WANT from the initial applications. So you can't switch :(

I could train as a nurse for 3 years, work for a few years then do the 18 month midwifery course. Problem with that route is that I don't really want to be a nurse, so i don't know how I'd cope with the three super intense years, lots of time away from my kids when it's not actually the degree I want. And there's non of the 18 month routes at the unis near by.

Foquita- personal statement, and this year I only applied to one uni which only had 20 places for the 1100 applicants x

How come midwifery isn't working out?

I agree about doing something simple that will fit into your routine just to earn money while you figure out how to get into midwifery. Don't stray from your goal unless it's totally unachievable. I don't see why it would be.

I'd consider things like childminding, waitressing, shop work etc just to bring the pennies in for a bit. I know it's so hard with a little one as well!

Did you BF at all? Training as a breastfeeding peer supporter could be really good supporting experience for midwifery.

The NCT also do courses or you could look into doula training.

Did you BF at all? Training as a breastfeeding peer supporter could be really good supporting experience for midwifery.

The NCT also do courses or you could look into doula training.

Yeah, I'm re starting a peer supporter course in September. It's not with the nct but through sure start. (Id started it in march but the midwife who runs it bcsne ill) X

How come midwifery isn't working out?

I agree about doing something simple that will fit into your routine just to earn money while you figure out how to get into midwifery. Don't stray from your goal unless it's totally unachievable. I don't see why it would be.

I'd consider things like childminding, waitressing, shop work etc just to bring the pennies in for a bit. I know it's so hard with a little one as well!

It's just incredibly hard to get into! X

I just did my peer supporter course through surestart. Fantastic course :thumbup:

Id say stay focused on what you want in life, go to uni if that's what you want it will pay of in the long run and be well worth it :) I did an access course to go onto uni to do midwifery but didn't get accepted onto the course, my focus is to re apply in a few years my uni only accepts 15 people a year on the midwifery course. The problem is there is such a shortage of midwives in the uk but university's don't have the places for people to become midwives. X

What about training (and then working) as a healthcare assistant/nursing auxiliary? It would show commitment to patient care and make you more attractive to unis.

Also try and contact the uni and ask them what you can do or where the gaps in your application where so you can concentrate on specific things.

Also are there other unis, or even the open university that you could do some modules in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->