I need an amalgam filling replaced!

sandandsun

Reaction score
Well, I knew this time would come. I have a couple amalgam fillings left in my mouth. About 6 months ago, a dentist told me one would need to be replaced but I put it off...and got pregnant faster than expected. I'm having slight pain here and there with the tooth and seeing the dentist next week. I have a feeling the dentist will want to remove the amalgam filling and replace it with a composite.

I've read that removing an amalgam filling during pregnancy can be dangerous due to exposure to mercury. Has anyone had experience with this? Should I wait until after the first trimester? Is it really dangerous?

Thanks.

I would run it by your OB. If they feel it's fine they will give you the green light and advise which trimester is best. Most likely if it's found that something is wrong within they would want you to get it fixed as further complications can arise.

We advise to not complete any non-emergency tx during first tri; not because its dangerous in itself, but because first tri is so fraught with concern anyway that if anything were to occur, everyone's knee jerk reaction would be to blame the dentist.

I did a lot of dental work with DS. I opted on the advice of my dentist and OB to do it all in 2nd trimester....less risk as above post stated and more comfortable than the chair in 3rd trimester.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm going to all my OB tomorrow and ask. I know it will NEED to be done in pregnancy, but I'm hoping it's not any kind of emergency and that I can wait 4 weeks or so until I'm out of the first tri.

Glad to know I'm not the only one, LadyHutch. That makes me feel better. This should be the only dental procedure I will need, and although websites make the whole removal an amalgam filling thing sound scary, I'm sure the dentist can take precautions and that the exposure would have to be so minimal.

I had all my amalgam fillings replaced also (it was before pregnancy though). They do have a lot of precautionary measures. Waiting until at least 2nd tri is best. But rest assured, there will be minimal exposure. They have a dam to keep anything from going down your throat. And I had an oxygen mask so that I wouldn't be breathing in the fumes.

I had all my amalgam fillings replaced also (it was before pregnancy though). They do have a lot of precautionary measures. Waiting until at least 2nd tri is best. But rest assured, there will be minimal exposure. They have a dam to keep anything from going down your throat. And I had an oxygen mask so that I wouldn't be breathing in the fumes.

That's really good to know! I'll make sure my dentist does the same, and I'm definitely going to wait until the second trimester, unless there's some emergency reason that I can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->