i technically have no midwife...

violet_joy

Reaction score
ok, so ive moved quite far away from my old mw/dr's and so had to register with a new one. thing is, i can barely walk just now (38wks with very bad spd) so cant get to the surgery by myself. dh has a relatively new job and so cant get time off to take me to appts and the new surgery are insisting i see a dr first so he/she can refer me to the mw! im 38 weeks for god sake i have no time for this and have no way to get to any appts! thinking of maybe calling my hosp and explaining to them tht for the duration i wont have medical intervention now until i come in in labour? not sure what to do, any thoughts?xx

Get a taxi for first gp appointment :/ think youre making a bigger deal out of it than needs be. The hospitals team of midwives are different to the community ones who do antenatal and post natal care so I don't see the point in phoning the hospital.

I agree with blah. Get a taxi. Or self refer to the community midwives? X

i thot i would hav bn able yo self refer but they are saying not. i can get a taxi, what i mean is, getting a dr appt is difficult at the best of times so by the time i get an appt, get referred to the mw, see the mw, i'll have probably given birth. will try my best.

I'd ask for the midwives details, call then direct & arrange a home visit if they allow it.

Have you tried to get a dr's appointment? If you explain you are 38 weeks and need a referral ASAP I'm sure it won't take long, when you go into labour you can just turn up at the hospital that's no big deal they won't turn you away. But it's important you get that referral so your antenatal and postnatal care is ensured and documented, especially if you go overdue. No point complaining if you haven't even tried to get the appointment yet :flower: once you see a doctor he will phone/send paperwork and the MW will probably see you ASAP. I was referred within 2 weeks at 6 weeks pregnant and am sure they'll work a bit quicker at your stage. If you're concerned about anything health wise take yourself straight to the maternity ward.

im not really complaining as such its more about the fact i have to see a dr to 'confirm' my pregnancy b4 they will refer me! i just think its a bit redic, there are no appts this week, i have to try on mon morning at 8am and hopefully get one. it'l b my due date b4 i see a mw, it all seems a bit if a rigmarole when im 38 wks gone, thats all.

Sounds a bit of a pain! Will they let a nurse practitioner see you to do the referral? Might make it a bit easier to get an appointment? Good luck!

im not really complaining as such its more about the fact i have to see a dr to 'confirm' my pregnancy b4 they will refer me! i just think its a bit redic, there are no appts this week, i have to try on mon morning at 8am and hopefully get one. it'l b my due date b4 i see a mw, it all seems a bit if a rigmarole when im 38 wks gone, thats all.

No you're right that is a bit silly needing a referral at 38 weeks if they won't even try and see you quickly, I would be tempted to see if you can get the phone number for the local midwives because presumably you have already missed one check up now?

My surgery does telephone appts. Any chance u can call them and enquire about getting a call back from a doc so they can get you referred ASAP. Surely they can just pull up ur details from ur prev surgery history to confirm pregnancy? Xx

I am guessing you still have your maternity notes as they wouldn't take them off you? Changing surgeries is a bit if a pain and the transferral of documents can take 6 weeks but you should have your maternity notes so that theoretically any hospital/MW could see you.

yeah thats right. i also feel its a bit of a waste of a dr's appt. i think what i will do is get the mw number and phone her, if shes not willing just to see me then i will ask if my old mw can refer me.

That's a plan, and if it's been a while since your last appointment I'd be tempted to go to the ward to check your BP, urine etc just to be sure all is ok as obviously we're supposed to be more carefully looked at towards the end. Hope the move went ok, I thought it was stressful moving at 6 months pregnant lol!

thanku, its bn pretty awful lol we've bn trying to move for over a year but jus couldnt find the right place, then sods law 4 weeks b4 i drop we find the place, so its bn up n flit. will never do it agen tho, and folk dnt seem to understand why im freaking out/obsessing, its coz im nesting, i need everything to be ready and it wont be! so jyst trying my best to keep as calm as poss and just do what i can xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->