I think I have issues!

nona81

A little bit pregnant x
Reaction score
I really want to have a baby, and I know I am absolutely capable of being a parent. I am responsible, I have a good job, good qualifications, our own home, a car. But I still feel like a naughty teenager.

I am freaking out about people knowing that we are going to be TTC.

I am quite close to my parents, but even at 28 and married I still feel a little bit embarrassed about the S-E-X issue! I wasn't planning on mentioning our plans to TTC to them at all. But, as it would be their first grandchild, I didn't know whether they might need a bit of time to get used to the idea of being grandparents (or is the 6 months or so after the big announcement enough). I can't even bear thinking about how people at work will react - I have been in the department since I was 19 and I think they all still see me as the baby.

I am also fairly nervous about the idea of buying pregnancy tests - I feel like a teenager who has been up to no good. I think I blushed when I bought folic acid and I am super-nervous about ringing the doctors to make an appointment to have my implant out.

I feel like such a total wimp - am I alone???:shrug:

You are definitely not alone. I am the same age, married and settled in a job too and feel exactly the same. I don't have a problem discussing it with my friends but both my husband and I feel weird about telling our parents. I've never been close to my mum or my dad (they are divorced and I barely see my dad) and although closer to my mum now, I still don't feel I can talk to her about this sort of thing. DH's mum is desperate for a grandchild and while she mentions this often we don't want to tell her we are considering ttc as she would get far too excited and it would be a lot of pressure.

It's strange how you still feel like you did when you were 18 about this sort of thing, even though you are now a bona fide grown up!!!

im a fair bit younger but even though having children is a serious issue i find mentioning sex infront of my parents is quite strange. my mum was concerned about me coming off the pill and becoming pregnant whilst using condoms and i didnt enjoy the detail she went into about the condom splitting..... and despite her saying this she says how much shes looking forward to having a grandchild! ahh dear.

xxxx

Hahaha awww hun you are not alone! I am 22 and will be trying this year, when I went to buy all my prenatals the lady across the counter gave me a really funny look, so I was a little worried. When I told my doctor she was actually very supportive and when I finally burst the bubble on my mum she was horrified at the idea of being a grandmother :rofl: but she soon came around to the idea, (I keep trying to sweeten her up by telling her she will be a GILF) :rofl:
Even people at work, who I have decided to tell, have been very supportive and know I'm trying for a honeymoon baby :baby:.

People nowadays can be very judgemental but they can also be very open minded, and at 28 I would not bat an eyelid, yeah maybe at 16 but thats it! :rofl: Strange how in our minds we are still teenagers..

I'm only 20 but we intend to TTC in about 3 years time when we're married and everything, and it scares me thinking about my parents knowing too XD Definitely not alone :) Good luck! xx

I'm going on 25 in a couple weeks and I feel funny buying pregnancy tests and such. I try to go through the self checkout lines whenever possible. Why? I guess cause my parents never talked about sex and such. It was weird when I told my mom we'd be trying over the summer because it's like confessing that you're having sex :O lol

I get married next year and will be trying for a honeymoon babe! I'll be 26 and OH will be 41 but both of us dont feel like grownups yet! Eek! I think with your own parents, its different, because you will always be there baby girl and it takes time for them to get their head round these things.....I would like to think that my Dad thought I was still a virgin but we both know thats not true...:rofl:

xxx

Even though I'm married I still feel really naughty buying pregnancy tests. I normally hide it under food in my shopping cart in case I run into someone I know.

I am with you on the being scared to tell people boat. Its not that I necessarily feel like a naughty teen but I just don't want the negative, disapproving comments. I will be 23 this year and have a lil boy who just turned 3. My marriage to his father was disastrous and so that is where a lot of the worried/disapproving comments come into play. I am remarried now to a wonderful man but everyone seems to doubt my judgment. I have told my BFF who ois always supportive but other than that I want to run away to have a baby and not tell anyone!!! Lol. You are definitely not alone!

I am so glad to hear that I am not a complete freak!

your not alone.were not telling anyone when ttc,would be too embaressed:blush: would be walking around with a big sign over our heads saying WERE HAVING SEX!!! also if i dont fall pregnant for a while i dont want people thinking theres something wrong with me and asking awkward questions. when people ask are we planning on kids soon i say no,but then feel a wee bit guilty for lying:blush:

i was really embaressed buying my folic acid,my heart was beating so fast you would have thought i was stealing them:haha:

Hehe I think about this too, that's why the times when I've thought I was pregnant I've always made my husband go out and get the pregnancy test:haha:

But I also have the unlucky misfortune of being 23 and having a face that hasn't changed much since middle school. I have been asked several times if I am my husband's daughter. What are people going to think when they see my with a baby bump walking around holding my husbands hand. Talk about feeling like a naughty teenager:blush:

your not alone.were not telling anyone when ttc,would be too embaressed:blush: would be walking around with a big sign over our heads saying WERE HAVING SEX!!! also if i dont fall pregnant for a while i dont want people thinking theres something wrong with me and asking awkward questions. when people ask are we planning on kids soon i say no,but then feel a wee bit guilty for lying:blush:

i was really embaressed buying my folic acid,my heart was beating so fast you would have thought i was stealing them:haha:

I always tell people I don't want kids and make out they're such a hassle and we're actually trying lol

I don't tell people we're planning to ttc soon either. Some close friends know and others at least know that we'd like to have a child (but I make sure to point out that I'm too busy with work and stuff atm). But I'm not really nervous about the sex thing. What I'm worried about more is people asking all the time before we get to week 12. Then I'm actually looking forward to shouting it from the rooftops! :D
The one person I'm nervous about telling is my supervisor. I used to be so worried that he'll think I'm getting my priorities wrong or screwing up my career. He has since actually told me that he thinks it would be a good idea and STILL I'm nervous of his reaction. Talk about issues!

Amygdala,

I totally agree and sympathise with the 'fear' of telling your supervisor! I can't even begin to think how mine will react. He has young children of his own, but he is probably about 50 - so presumably he concentrated on his career before beginning a family - which make me think he will disapprove :growlmad: I really think I can do my PhD and raise a family, with the support of my OH. But I know that other people will probably think I'm crazy :wacko:

I also found out this afternoon that there is a good chance that I will get promoted around June this year (right when we will be TTC). I can't decide whether that is the most fantastic timing ever, because I will get better maternity pay and be able to afford to work fewer hours when I go back. Or if it is absolutely terrible timing and everybody will be mad that I have got a promotion and then leave to go on maternity leave less than a year later (hopefully). :shrug: It makes me more determined to keep things secret, so that I don't miss out on the promotion because people think I will be unreliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->