I thought the Torys said sure starts were safe?

I live in a 'deprived' area,and I'm unemployed,Harvey goes to nursery but we pay for it ourselves...so we don't all get help.xxx
ETA:I don't go to bingo either :rofl: xx[/QUOTE]

Sorry I was being a bit mean spirited there.
I lived in a "deprived" area and got a lot of help from SureStart - I got cheap childcare when I started work. Prior to that though I wanted to do an on-the-job training course. I was guaranteed a nursery place while training but had I been offered a job the place was no longer funded and therefore no longer available :nope:
I'm all for them giving genuine help but unfortunately it's not always targeted well.
I know of too many people who do get the free childcare and do go to the bingo. But then I suppose it's a day when the child isn't dragged along to sit in the pub :dohh:

I live in a 'deprived' area,and I'm unemployed,Harvey goes to nursery but we pay for it ourselves...so we don't all get help.xxx
ETA:I don't go to bingo either :rofl: xx

Sorry I was being a bit mean spirited there.
I lived in a "deprived" area and got a lot of help from SureStart - I got cheap childcare when I started work. Prior to that though I wanted to do an on-the-job training course. I was guaranteed a nursery place while training but had I been offered a job the place was no longer funded and therefore no longer available :nope:
I'm all for them giving genuine help but unfortunately it's not always targeted well.
I know of too many people who do get the free childcare and do go to the bingo. But then I suppose it's a day when the child isn't dragged along to sit in the pub :dohh:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you mean...people look at me as if to say :shock: why does he go to nursery,you don't have a job,but its done wonders for his speech and thats why we sent him.I am looking for work though :)
xx

I'm going to go against the grain here, but Surely we all realised that there would have to be cut backs, and raised taxes etc???? Surely the government (whoever was in charge) could not go on spendng money hand over fist??

I'm going to go against the grain here, but Surely we all realised that there would have to be cut backs, and raised taxes etc???? Surely the government (whoever was in charge) could not go on spendng money hand over fist??

True but they are still closing and taking away services which are really valued by low income families and vunerable people, like someone else said I would not be surprised if it's the NHS next.

I knew they were cutting some centres. We have 3 near me and two of them are to go apparently.

My daughter has finally got the help she needs through these places.They fund our transport.Hold 3 groups a fortnight for us and I love going.Its nice to meet Mums who walk in the same shoes.I will be livid if they close ours x

Well it's reassuring to hear positive news of people being helped.
My local centre told me that the more registered users they have the less chance of closing down. Hence why they push the forms on people.
I wonder how many people are put off by the forms and how intrusive they can be? I honestly don't think it should matter whether I'm black, white or purple. If I'm straight, lesbian or bi we are all just mummies who want the best for our children.

Its just the value of them really, the true value :(

I just feel sad that my child is not going to get the help he needs at school now. I was told its almost certain that the school budget will be cut and we will not get what we had hoped for.

This is NOT going to help me get into work. Seriously looking into home schooling right now. I have a lady coming over on Monday to talk about it. I know I am not the only person in this situation also.

Oh that's a shame, i really enjoy going to our local Sure Start :(

I do understand cuts have to be made, I know the country's in debt, etc. I dont know it Labour would have done a better job...BUT its still sad when our children suffer at the end of it. I think anyone would agree.

Rob from the poor, give more to the bloomin' rich. I think they ought to leave the NHS & children things alone, I know they have to cut everything.. but is it me or is children & NHS getting the WORSE of it?

I think all the MPs in the country should take a pay cut, we'd save billions.

Roll on election time. :hissy:

I saw on Tv one lady from a council goes around and when she finds dog mess she has to then phone someone else to come and pick it up. Now surely she could have the tools on her to do that? Seems like a waste of money and like this huge mission just for a bit of dog mess that can be cleaned in like 5 seconds...

I live in a rural area in Devon and our surestart has just been given money to expand and staff have been taken on....I popped in there last week and they reassured me that they are not closing, so hopefully they wont be closing all of them....it is sad though. Surestart wasnt around when I had my first son 15 years ago, but I know that they have helped a lot of mums in the area that I now live in.

Only another few years and then the ConDems are gone anyway...thats unless they fall out over someone buying the wrong brand of teabags or something before then....:rofl: xx

I live in a rural area in Devon and our surestart has just been given money to expand and staff have been taken on....I popped in there last week and they reassured me that they are not closing, so hopefully they wont be closing all of them....it is sad though. Surestart wasnt around when I had my first son 15 years ago, but I know that they have helped a lot of mums in the area that I now live in.

I agree. I don't live in a deprived area. The ward is apparently one of the richest, BUT we are quite limited with terms of getting around so the sure-starts are valuable. I was told the local one is safe, but who knows!

I saw on Tv one lady from a council goes around and when she finds dog mess she has to then phone someone else to come and pick it up. Now surely she could have the tools on her to do that? Seems like a waste of money and like this huge mission just for a bit of dog mess that can be cleaned in like 5 seconds...

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Perhaps if the councils stopped their nonsensical way of carrying out some things there would be enough money in the pot for the SureStart centres to stay open.

The small one I go to is closing, I am quite gutted tbh as its the one that the LLL ladies visit weekly to help breastfeeding mums and I know I will need their help in the future. Hopefully they will transfer to another one but this is quite a poor area so the centres are needed and very very busy.

Setting aside that Tories just blatantly lie, the whole issue with the sure start funding is to do with council funding cuts and the professed 'localism' ideology. They tell us they are giving councils the power to slend their money as they choose - or in other words they are using councils as scapegoats for central cuts. As it happens they have transferred far more specific decision making powers to government than they claim to have relinquished. The closures of the centres are down to local authority spending plans faced with the cuts. The government has publicly asked councils not to cut sure start, voluntary sector, social care etc etc etc in order to save face because of course councils are forced to cut that. In addition the funding announced for local authorities is magically skewed so that urban a d deprived areas (particularly poor old Liverpool) are receiving far more cuts to their budgets. In fact some wealthy southern councils with small populations and vast wealth have received increases to their budgets. The Tory way of doing things is very special. I'm very surprised anyone is left still being deceived by them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->