I want the truth about planned sections :)

Well I had my consultation today, and the lady suggested that I have a section, she says she's going to out me forward for one, but will take a few weeks for a decision to be made as she has to put my case towards the maternity team.

At the moment it looks like I'm doing the section Gang :)... Thanks for all your advice And stories!! Well keep you posted once I know the final outcome.

Honestly, I think it depends on so many factors. Mine was extremely easy. Little pain, and I was padding around feeling fine, although a little weak, within twenty-four hours. Some pulling at the edge of the incision, which was unpleasant, but not awful.

Then I got sick, and it was completely awful, but I don't think that had anything to do with the section.

Ive had 3 sections, my first was emcs after 32hours of labour my daughter got very distressed. The experience was awful and the recovery was the worst thing imaginable i had such pain from the start that i could barely lift my daughter then to top it i ended up with a bad infection in the wound. It took me a good 12weeks or so before i could move around without feeling like my stomach was about to burst open. So almost 3years later when we fell pregnant with our 2nd daughter it the thought of another section terrified me, i fought my case all the way to the end wanting a vbac (the consultants were pushing for 2nd section because i had developed gestational diabetes and was carrying a large baby) i point blank refused a planned section and said i wanted the chance to try for a normal delivery so they agreed. I went 1week overdue laboured quickly and intensely but she was just too big so before she ended up distressed i agreed to be taken for the section she was 10lbs 5oz!!. That recovery was surprisingly easier, was on my feet less than 24hrs after, dont get my wrong was still agony but i just coped better part of me thinks because i knew partly what to expect. I didnt get any infections and felt relatively normal by week3 and was back driving.
My 3rd and final baby was born july last year and was a planned section due to me having gestational diabetes again and i knew my son was going to be large so there was no point in even trying a vbac and after having 2 sections i knew they would strongly be against it so i quickly got my mind round the fact that there would be no labour and looked at the positives like being able to plan thing much better than you can when you are just waiting to go into labour. It was so strange waking up that morning and thinking right today iam going to have a baby without the being in labour part. My planned section was lovely, so relaxed and everyone laughing and joking with me and my husband we had music playing and my son was born 9.18am at 38weeks weighing a good 9lbs 5oz. My pain was extreme this time but i was also sterilised which they told me makes recovery harder and the fact it was my 3rd section. i found it hard when i got home having two other children but family were all great and were on hand to to shopping and all the running around. I did end up back in hospital 3wks after with the worst pain on my right side i had put up with it for 2days before i collapsed and was taken in, it turned out to be nerve damage from the section which apparently is common but after a couple of months on strong tablets i was feeling completely normal.
I guess in my experience having 3 sections and 3 completely different experiences and recoveries it just shows how different it can be each time. The most important thing to remember is the pain does go although it doesnt feel kike it at the time but it does and you'l have a gorgeous bundle of joy for it which makes it all worth while. I wish you the best of luck :thumbup:

I had a wonderful, positive elective c-section in January - check out my birth story. If you're relatively fit (sounds like you are) with a normal BMI you should heal pretty quickly. My c-section was totally pain free - I couldn't believe it, because I'd heard such horror stories. If I'd have known how straightforward it was going to be I wouldn't have agonised over it so much during my pregnancy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.xx

Hi ladies.

This is my 2nd pregnancy and had a very bad tear with my first, so have been scheduled for an appointment on Wednesday to have a lovely scan up my bum, to see what my scaring is like and whether they suggest a planned section. I was told after my first birth that it's a pretty high chance of me having to have a section. I also have a strong feeling that it will be the only option they give me.

Obviously I know we're all different, have different pain thresholds and recovery rates but I'm trying to prepare myself for this option as much as possible lol. And feel the only way I can do that is from the mouths of people who have been there!

Personally myself, I have quite a good pain threshold (first labour was drug free, start to finish, she was back to back and stuck), I also seem to have quite a good recovery speed.. Obviously only been compared to recovery of vaginal labour and minor things.

My main question is.. How 'inmobile' will I be and for how long? I've heard people saying they couldn't do basic stuff for weeks, others saying only 5 days.

I'm very much of a get up and go person, and don't like relying on people too much lol. I also obviously now have a toddler, and two dogs.. Walking them wouldn't be an issue, if the driving limitation wasn't put on sections, as I could drive them to a local field/park.

Am I really going to be struggling for a few weeks?

Please be all honest :).. I want to know the things you couldn't do, things you could, how long you were restricted for, etc.. Anything helps :)

Thanks in advance!!

I haven't read the other responses but it definitely varies! It wasn't a great recovery, painful as hell but I just carried on as normal from the day I left the hospital, in fact I passed my driving test a few days after my section.

The driving limitation is due to the emergency stop, you can test it yourself in your driveway, if it's painful to suddenly slam on the break then don't drive yet.

I can't imagine any straightforward section recovery would take weeks, only if there were complications such as infection xx

[/QUOTE] I can't imagine any straightforward section recovery would take weeks, only if there were complications such as infection xx[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is a fair assumption to make really. I had a very straight forward section. I'm very fit and healthy, with a perfect bmi of 18, a high pain threshold, and no complications from the section, yet I had a very long and rough recovery that took weeks. Just because yours was straight forward, you can say that no complications = straight forward recovery. I was in a lot of pain for a long time.

The driving limitation is also up to your insurer. It's always worth ringing up and checking their policy. I think there's a slight difference between practicing braking on your drive, and having to do an emergency stop in a crash situation.

Everyone recovers differently, and every woman will recover differently from section to section.

I had a planned section. I wasn't allowed to get up for almost 24 hours, but then they finally removed my catheter and encouraged me to walk around. I won't lie, I felt like i'd been hit by a bus. Getting up/down was the worst as I struggled to bend to get down (DH had to pull up my knickers when I had a shower, but when I was on the toilet it was OK as I could do it myself whilst sat) and likewise I would struggle to "unbend" when I stood up. Once I was up though, it was fine. I walked slowly for the first day, more like shuffling. The day after I was walking normally but slow. When I was down I could do anything I normally could whilst sitting but heavier items were tricky. I was told to lift nothing heavier than my baby for atleast 6 weeks.

Once I got home, and my pain was under control with meds I was OK. Getting out of bed was horrendous, but sitting up/getting down got easier and easier. Within a week I was my usual self, and infact we went out to lunch and for a walk around some local shops :) I was a bit sore/stiff but fine to move around. Two weeks later I felt like nothing had happened, I was warned about this though and told to take it easy for the full 6 weeks :winkwink: After 6 weeks I could drive fine and it was like nothing had ever happened.

I will say, there would've been NO WAY I would've been able to walked my dog for atleast 3, possibly more weeks. My dog doesn't pull on the lead, it's like you're not even holding him but there is no way I would've risked it because if he had bolted I wouldn't have been able to have the core strength to stop him. So I would not recommend that at all.

My experience was not great. I have a high pain threshold and recover well from things.

But my recovery after my c section was long...the first few days just walking was awful. After a week walking was ok, but not standing still I.e. at baby changer etc...not to be under estimated is how hard it is getting in and out of bed lieing down and sitting up. It took my 7 weeks before I could start to be normal. Baby was born 15 Nov DH did not return to work till 23rd December as I was not able to care for baby.

Other issue with csection is I did not get to breast feed I lost blood and needed a transfusion and some other care as a result the delay was going to be too long for baby so he went straight to bottle.

It was a shock to me as I thought my recovery would be easier but no it was hell !!!

My first c-section was an emergency, and the whole experience was a nightmare. My second c-section was planned, and it was much much better! I recovered pretty quickly from both. I was only in the hospital for 2 days with both.

Obvioulsy- as you know, no one experience is exactly the same- for me, the section itself was just lovely. That may sound far fetched- but it was calm and easy peasy. Although I'd been very scared initially when I found out I had placenta previa- and it was the ONLY option. As that had always been my biggest fear- as I hate needles and thought I'd freak knowing they what they were doing- but nope, it was great. There were some rough recovery moments- mostly in the hospital. As the spinal wore off I had THE worse itching I can ever imagine! Can't even explain it! ack- and the first day, they had trouble managing my pain- so that kinda sucked when I had to move. After I left though- after 3 days- I was up and around just fine. Even at the store 2dys after getting home. I was able to manage the pain great with meds- and only taking Advil within 10dys.

Best of luck hun!

The truth? Recovery for me was as amazing as it could be!!! My first tie recovering was a night mare, but having my son via c section 7 weeks ago was the best thing i did! i wanted to get up and walk around a few hours after the operation, but i wasnt allowed as i had the catheter in :-( i was up and off for a shower 12 hours after operation, and i had no pain what so ever! should have got home after 2 days, but didnt get out until the third day, i was so ready to go home the night of my c-section lol! xx

I'm also stalking this. I had a EMCS last time, and I can't imagine anything worse :( The recovery was awful. I couldn't get out of bed for 2.5 days and that was for a shower, they had to give me painkillers just to be able to do that. I spent a week in the hospital. When I finally got home, I needed help getting out of bed for another week or so and wasn't able to get back to my normal life for 6-8 weeks and had pain in the scar area for months after that when I moved the wrong way. I didn't even try to walk my dogs during that time, they are well trained but I was so worried that something would make them pull and I wouldn't have been able to hold on to them.

I have a scheduled csection this time and I'm dreading it (I'm not a VBAC candidate:cry:). But everyone keeps telling me that scheduled cs aren't too bad. I hope they are correct, because this time I will have a 2year old to take care of as well. OH is taking 2 weeks off work and then my mother is coming to help me.

My LO decided she wasn't going to wait till my scheduled CS date and I went into labour almost 4 weeks early. So I ended up with another EMCS. The recovery this time has been so easy compared to my 1st EMCS. I was up and out of the bed about 8hrs after the cs. My LO had to spend 2 days in the NICU and I was getting up and walking to a wheel chair a lot to go and BF her. I spent 5 days in the hospital and by the time we left I was able to walk to the car myself. Now 2 weeks pp, I'm doing light house work and shopping. Just being careful to not lift anything too heavy and I still can't lift my toddler, but getting back to normal.

This is a great thread, thank.you to the ladies who have responded. I'm having a section on 7 May due to breech baby. I'm hoping for a quick recovery and as little pain as possible, it seems from reading your posts, if I keep up with the painkillers, I shouldn't be in agony. I'm not scared of the actual op, it's the recovery and not being able to do everything I want/need to look after my baby, toddler and myself :-(

Hopefully more women will respond to this great thread to give women like myself reassurance and an idea of what to expect.
X

I had a very traumatic first birth, with episiotomy and forceps. The recovery was very long and painful.
This time I had an elective c-section. I was prepared for it to be as painful, if not more painful than my first. How wrong I was.
My section was fab, the next morning I had my catheter out at 5am and I was up by 6.30am for the loo. I showered and pottered about. I was able to look after S the entire time. I was actually going to be discharged after 24hrs, still wish I had of been. I was asked to stay at the last minute, all papers were completed! A dr decided she wanted to check my bloods again, as I'd had a bit of a blood loss in surgery.

I'd do the c-section again over a 'natural' birth.

I had a planned c sec nearly 7 months ago after an awful vaginal delivery with my first daughter 4 years earlier.. My c section was fantastic, the pain afterwards wasn't THAT bad, it was quite uncomfortable and the first time the nurses tried to help me out of bed I almost passed out (not because of pain though - I think it was the amount of drugs and my already low blood pressure just dropped through my boots lol) but it wasn't soooo bad to be honest!
I was out and about by day 3 walking (slowly!) round town with the pram!
Once you figure out the best way for you to get in and out of bed you're fine! Get some extra pillows as sleeping sitting half propped up in bed was what I found helped!xx

Thanks for the stories ladies :)

Thought I'd come back with an update. I still haven't had a decision made about a section as I seemed to of been added to the nhs missing persons list and had appointments forgotten about!! I've finally had a rushed appointment for a rectrum scan which happened today and the results showed that my scarring tissue is worse then they would of like to of seen and also there's quite a bit of 'damage' down there!! Lol

The results now have to be discussed at a meeting to see if a section is best and considering I'm 2 days shy of 35 weeks, they are pushing it a bit with the time.

However considering the results were worse then they had anticipated and its already been suggested by one consultant that it will prob be in my best interest to have a section, I'll be shocked if they come back with the option of just having a vaginal delivery.

Hopefully I'll know in the next 2 weeks!!!

Hi
I had a planned section with dd. Well, I say planned, we went in on the day we had booked, waited all day and then got sent home at 5pm. She did come the next afternoon but in my experience there's no guarantees, emergencies (obviously) take priority.
The physical recovery was fine, wound healed quickly, I was driving within 2 weeks and never didn't lift stuff. Sometimes the wound got stiff if I was in 1 position for a whole feeding.
The thing I never ever considered was the emotional side. I really struggled to bond with dd. I felt a failure that I'd done nothing to get her and still struggle with the fact I've never experienced labour (yes I know what you're all saying!!). We're in 2ww after ivf and if we are lucky this time I will not have another planned section

Good luck
Kath xx

I had a planned c section and was terrified but it was amazing. The actual procedure went great. Recovery was fine, I was got out of bed about 6 hours after csection. 24 hours after c section catheter was taken out and i was walking about etc. And in shower the secondeve. The day after csection they left me 11 ours without pain rekief and it was ok, I was walking in shower etc. I did get pulling sensation on left sode and convinced they had stitched me wrong but all was great. Lol. I stayed in 2 nights then went home, I stopped pain relief as was making me drowsy! About 5 days after csection was out shopping and at pizza hut! :D

Hi ladies,

Only me again :)

Just got a phone call off the consultant at the hospital saying that they've looked at my results from the scan and that it looks like its best I have a section. (Was expecting this) and she's booked me in with a dr on Monday. I asked her what the appointment would be about and she just said that he'll more than likely give me a date and a booklet about sections? Haha

Is there anything else I can expect from this??

Hope all.went well. I had an appointment where they booked csection date, next date I signed consents then I had to go in for bloods and to collect ranitidine medication to take before op.

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"