I want to go natural as possible...

Leopard

2yrOld;3rdTriBoy
Reaction score
But I'm worried that if I decide on getting pain relief whilst in labor I will be viewed as a failure/coward/weekling.

Sounds silly I know, but should I be open minded? I have looked at gas and air and it doesnt seem hugely bad, but if I am in labor and decide to have some am I just copping out?

Any woman giving birth is not a coward in any way, even if you had every pain relief possible you will still have performed a miracle!

I had a homebirth 6 days ago and like you, I hoped to do it with minimal drugs, although I wasn't ruling out gas and air. As it turned out I got through it using just my TENS machine, I am very proud of this but having the use of gas and air wouldn't have taken anything away from my experience. I can understand how you feel, I felt the same but just remember that if you do end up using pain relief, that's just what you needed to get through it at the time :)

I think it's best to take a different approach to pain medication.

Women don't do it to prove themselves "stronger" than other women, which is a misunderstanding that many people have - they do it because it's the safest option for them & baby and the best way to get through labour without any complications. It really is that simple, and science backs it up.

I had morphine and an epidural after 2 days of pitocin-induced labour, I have no shame in that although in hindsight, it did cause some major problems in my labour. It doesn't make me weak or a failure - but it did contribute to a bad labour, and that's exactly what women wish to avoid.

Good luck! You don't need to do this to "prove" anything to anyone or yourself, you need to do it to give your body a chance to do what it is made for and to give yourself/your baby the safest/healthiest chance in labour.

hun i dont think i wimped out taking g&a in my labours/births its a tool as much as water or TENS or massage is that does really help some women deal with the most intense parts of labour, IM defo making sure the MW has some on hand this time but i hope not to want it when the time comes since ive done this 2wice so kinda have a good idea what to expect

NO!! You will not be wimping out!! You take whatever YOU need to birth YOUR baby. It's nobody else's business and it doesn't make you a wimp and if anyone thinks so they are not worth listening to!

^wss! do what u need to do!

Thankyou ladies. You've made me feel a lot better about the situation if it arises.

i decided as little pain relief as possible, i only wanted to use gas and air, but i kept an open mind incase it wasnt going to plan or was more painful that i anticipated....

i manged only on gas and air.... and am soooooo proud as im a huge wimp lol.....

i believe getting your mind in right frame from start help alot.... i told myself from day 1 NO EPIDURAL coz of my needle phobia and i just about managed it :)

but hell next time i would take all pain relief options avaliable if i felt i needed too or wasnt coping :)

a plan is good, but be open minded for change xxx

I had some gas and air. I don't view myself or anyone else who has a baby a weakling, regardless of how they do it! The point of of avoiding interventions is to avoid the risk they introduce, not to not-be-a-weakling. :D

If you are properly loved and supported and you're environment is right, you are less likely to feel the need for drugs and if you do you'll probably use them less. Instead of focussing on what you "don't want" (ie. medication) focus on what you DO want (and why):
intimacy, privacy, low lights, water (even if youre not in a bath or birth pool, water is your FRIEND! drink plenty and go to the loo!), food available, freedom of movement, herbs? essential oils? candles? aromatherapy? music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->