I was told first Ultrasound not until 20 weeks?

volumeone

Reaction score
I called the doctor to make my first appointment right away at 4 weeks when I found out I was pregnant. The triage nurse told me on the phone that I'd go in for a "pregnancy counseling" appointment at 8-9 week so I made that appointment. They then said I won't have my first ultrasound until 20 weeks…Is this normal? I see others getting u/s way earlier than 20 weeks. I'm assuming we'll listen to the heartbeat before then I can't believe I have to wait that long to see the little bugger! Makes me so nervous if something were to be wrong and I'd have to wait that much time to find out.

Anyone else not have their 1st u/s until 20 weeks?

Thx :)

It really depends on your doctor. Mine is loath to scan multiple times since some insurances only cover the 20 week scan. 20 weeks is the only medically necessary scan in a normal pregnancy. I opted into an NT which checks for abnormalities from 12-13 weeks, but it is optional. If you are in the US, you can opt in to that ultrasound. Some ladies get a scan at every appointment, it is doctor preference. I get to hear the heartbeat via doppler each appointment since 10 weeks.

It really depends on where u are. My doctor won't do one unless there's a reason until about 16-20 weeks. I had some spotting, and I'm " of advanced maternal age". (I'm 36), so they did one at 7wks.

My insurance does not cover any ultrasounds unless deemed "medically necessary." I have opted for the genetic testing, which I did with my previous two, so I should get an ultrasound that way. I am 10 weeks and will probably get one at 13 weeks, but for sure at 18 weeks for genetic screening.
I know there are private clinics you can have ultrasounds at like the 3D or 4D ones, but you have to pay out of pocket usually.

You can request the 12 week NT one and they should order it for you. When I went with the MW they only did 20 weeks but they did arrange for the 12 week when I requested it. They had to look into it because they don't normally order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->