• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I would love some honest opinions

joeybrooks

Ethan and Leo's mummy
Reaction score
Ok ladies, firstly I am new to this board so I don’t really know anyone yet, which is great as I would love the honest opinion of a range of people.
OH and I have been together for almost 15 years and engaged close to 3. We have a 1 year old son, who is just the centre of our universe and before he arrived, we might have been inclined to spend a lot on a lavish wedding to keep everyone else happy, but since we had our son, it has changed how we think.
We are planning to get married 4 December next year and instead of spending a lot of money on the wedding, we would much rather be financially stable enough to have a second child and in a few years, look at moving home.

So, we have decided to get married around 4pm and have only an evening reception, which we envisage starting around 6.30pm with a drinks reception, cutting of the cake, first dance and then party the night away. We are donig this not only for financial reasons, but also because we are not a very formal couple and would much rather celebrate our marriage than make ourselves uncomfortable and stick to tradition.

We are looking at hiring a nightclub, which is part of a hotel, which has lots of space and a lovely décor. They are very flexible and willing to meet our needs. We have basically been able to secure the venue, the DJ and a buffet for £100 people for under £1000.

So, I have a few questions and would appreciate your honest answers:
  • Would you think it cheap if you were invited to a wedding like this?
  • Would you expect to have a sit down meal or would a buffet suffice?
  • The venue can provide seating for 65 guests, this is in the form of two seating coves, some normal tables and tall bar tables and stools. As I am planning more of a cocktail type evening, lots of mingling rather than sitting, is it ok to not have a seat for every person. We are having only a vast finger buffet, so no trying to balance a plate on your knee. Is this ok?
I cant think of any other questions at the minute but would appreciate your comments on the above.

Thanks.

No I would not think it cheep at all, formal three course meals bore me. It's just so much waiting around.

It sounds lovely and it's great to know you are prioritising your families future. I certainly wouldn't think s it cheap. I like your style!:flower:

It sounds lovely, a wedding is about two people who love each other, not what you'll be served for dinner, and if anyone thinks otherwise, they're not worth being there! I certainly wouldn't think it was cheap.

Would you think it cheap if you were invited to a wedding like this?

Not at all! I get your worries though, some people can be weird. I think just let everyone know beforehand and you won't get any complaints!

Would you expect to have a sit down meal or would a buffet suffice?

A buffet is fine, even at a traditional wedding.

The venue can provide seating for 65 guests, this is in the form of two seating coves, some normal tables and tall bar tables and stools. As I am planning more of a cocktail type evening, lots of mingling rather than sitting, is it ok to not have a seat for every person. We are having only a vast finger buffet, so no trying to balance a plate on your knee. Is this ok?

That's fine! People like an excuse to mingle and it means more people will be dancing quicker. Plus seating for over half your guests is plenty. At parties people cosy up and sit on knees and share chairs if needs be, it's part of the fun.

It all sounds great!

I wouldn't think it was cheap at all, and a buffet would be fine! Sounds like you've got a fab deal! Only thing that would worry me would be the seating as people don't tend to mingle till they've had a couple lol! Xx

If it makes you happy go with it. We go married in home with his friend and the friends then gf now wife. My mom,stepdad,sister,her husband, my aunt uncle and brother. It was great for us. mom made food and brought a cake and i bought some beer. it was few hours and then all were gone and we got to enjoy rest of day. Everyone knew ahead of time it was to be very small and come in anything.

Ladies, thank you all for your opinions and support. I feel exactly like you all, that so long as everyone knows what to expect they should be under no illusions and Katherine, you are right, if they are going to think like that, they are not the type of people I want there anyway.

We certainly have got an amazing deal and what I love about it so much is that because it isnt a venue that would cater for many weddings, more private parties and cocktail evenings etc, they are very flexible and are happy to do whatever we want.

OH and I are pretty happy with the venue, so going to take my mum and my sister to get a second opinion and then we might book it!!!!! Exciting.

Thanks again ladies xx

Can I just say, I'm having a hot buffet too and a very informal wedding :) I've handmade my invites, we're having Buck's Fizz on arrival and no wine on tables. Stuff what anyone else thinks, just enjoy it! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->