ICSI twins followed by natural PG

Helen

ICSI Twins + miracle BFP
Reaction score
Hi

I came off the pill 9.5 years ago and tried for 18m with my ex-DH. The stress of that relatively short period was enough to finish off our relationship and thankfully I quickly got together with lovely, lovely DH.

We didn't bother with contraception and started "trying properly" in Jan 2005 and after 12 months went to see the docs to start the ball rolling with tests.

After much prodding and poking we discovered that DH's sperm had low motility probably from a cancer scare he had a few years earlier that might actually have been some kind of infection. My AF were all over the shop and they found cysts and that I wasn't ovulating every month.

We were told that ICSI was our only hope about 18m into our "trying" time. We couldn't wait the 3 years for NHS treatment as I was 33 at the time and DH was 39.

We started ICSI in September 2006 and found out we were PG with twins in the November. Charlotte and Tom were born in June 2007 and they are our absolute world. We know we were lucky beyond lucky for it to work first time and to have boy/girl twins was amazing.

We also had 6 frozen embryos which during the back end of 2008 we took the decision to donate to other couples who needed them as we felt that our family was complete and we didn't want any more IVF.

In early January 2009, we discovered that I was PG naturally! One hell of a shock after so long but a completely wonderful and amazing one once we'd got our heads around it. Our 2nd little boy is due in a few weeks time and we can't wait!

Around Easter time we found out that some of our donated embryos had been used and were successful.

We've had more than our fair share of success and I sometimes feel guilty for that but our children are loved to bursting point as a result of the route we took and we'll never forget how hard it was to get here.

Read my IVF diary here.

What a great story and how wonderful for you both to donate your eggs to help others :hug:

What a gorgeous story! we are also pregnant on first attempt after IVF/ICSI, expecting a little girl in September and overcome with excitment every second of the day!! We had a chat the other day about if we'd ever donate our 'spare' frozen embryos in the future and after reading your post i think it;s very likely we will. You must feel amazing to have given other couples this gift. Good luck with the new baby! xx

Hi Helen,
Did you go private for your treatment then? How long did it take to get the ball rolling once you had decided to go down this route?
We are just waiting to see the FS for our first appointment, but it is very likely we will have to have ICSI.

Yes we did. We saw the consultant at the ACU around May/June time and started in the September. It would've been a month sooner but my cycle coincided with her holidays!

From first appointment with FS though it was probably 6-8 months with all the testing inbetween. We went private for all our appointments and some of the tests to speed things up.

Good luck, do you have a date for your appointment?

such a lovely story and to donate your embryos is such a generous gift, you were rewarded well with your new blue bump :happydance: x

Yes we did. We saw the consultant at the ACU around May/June time and started in the September. It would've been a month sooner but my cycle coincided with her holidays!

From first appointment with FS though it was probably 6-8 months with all the testing inbetween. We went private for all our appointments and some of the tests to speed things up.

Good luck, do you have a date for your appointment?

No we are just waiting for an appointment at the mo. We last saw the doctor at the beggining of June so it could be a while yet. My oh has had a reversal (had the snip done while with his ex) which is what is causing us problems. Our dr suggested ICSI which will prob be the way we have to go but we need to see the FS first and see what our options are.
We will have to go private as we are not entitled to NHS as he has children already. I just want to get things moving now!
Thanks for your help

Helen, you are an inspiration. Am close to tears reading your story and just know your children are loved so much. You really deserve them. I'm waiting for ICSI and have had a hard week. Posts like yours give us all hope. You're also making me reconsider whether to donate embryos (if it is possible for us). Thanks for lifting my day
:hug: X

Hey Helen

Your story is fantastic - it was the first positive IVF story i heard when i moved over to LTTTC a year ago and then when you found out about your 'surprise' new baby it was even better. You have given me hope that a) we'll get through IVF and we'll get our baby and that b) there is always hope things can happen naturally. You rock! :dust:

Thanks for a lovely story and for giving us some hope!

Quick question, did you have 2 embies put back?

Thanks,
Kath xx

Thanks for a lovely story and for giving us some hope!

Quick question, did you have 2 embies put back?

Thanks,
Kath xx

Quick answer...yes. LOL!

Just wanted to say an BIG thanks to you guys - you have really just cheered me up. We have had a decision from our hosp to say that we cannot have ICSI yet (after 2 years of trying) and that we will have to wait another year even though DH has LSC of <1 million! I am holding out hope that things may happen naturally but was losing the will to live until I have just read your story. Thanks and best wishes to you all:hugs:

I have read quite a few stories where people that had a hard time conceiving got a naturally conceived kid soon afterwards. I wonder whether having had a pregnancy makes more fertile due to more hormones ?

helen what a beautiful story :hugs: i am so happy for you :hugs: and i think it is an amazing thing you both to donate your embryo's xx

Congratulations. What a fabulous story, I am very happy for you and your DH. Wow, donating your embryos, what a big selfless decision :hugs:

Helen and Sallysausage what wonderful stories, thanks for sharing :hugs:

This story reminds me of my fiance's cousin. She used fertility treatments and got pregnant with twins - the adorable boy & girl were born in April 2007. Then she got pregnant naturally and gave birth to her second daughter in July 2009.

Congratulations to you !

wow, I can only hope for this! How lucky! And how cute your children are! I think we may have to go the ICSI route, but am so afraid of the financial and emotional aspects! And I would need to lose quite the amount of weight! It seems like such a battle...hope I can make just like you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->