I'd give up BLW if I hadn't read the book!

bjl1981

Reaction score
I've only been doing this for 3 days, but I'm convinced I'd give up if I hadn't read the book, because when LO has his little gagging thing to push food out its really disturbing. i keep telling myself its normal as he tries to figure out how much to put in there and what size pieces are ok but its quite scary.
Was round at my parents tonight and he gagged on a piece of carrot and they were all like "QUICK, HE'S CHOKING!" and I was like "no, he's fine, he's just got too much in there" and said to LO, "spit it out if its too big Joey".
They make me more paranoid though!
Anyone feel like this?
Does it get better?

Oddly I actually never worried about choking. However I did have to keep reading and re reading the book because I wondered if it was normal that Ruby was so uninterested. It was, of course. I could never have given up BLW though as Ruby refuses to be fed anyway!

LO is very interested! he will take pretty much anything you put infront of him (if he can pick it up! the avocado just kept slipping about!). I'm sure it's perfectly normal, but you're natural instinct is that gagging is bad!

Yeah I tried Avocado early on and it was too slippery - we have it mashed on toast now, much better!

The gagging is rather scary at first. I did start Lucy on puree and hated giving her it. I've actually found that she gagged on puree - which I had never even considered would happen (never thought about it before). She just was not interested in puree, so we moved to BLW straight away. She seems to enjoy the textures and feel of the food - has an explore of it and then munches away. I was starting to feel smug that she'd never gagged yet - but she's gagged 3 or 4 times this weekend and it's so horrible. DH has been very calm and is quite keen that we keep going. She seems to not be able to cope with the skin on things (roast potato, cucumber for example) and is less likely to gag without the skin. Hope this helps a little!

I've never been scared of the gagging, it just annoys me because it usually results in him being sick which is frustrating because it always happens on the one meal in 2 days he's actually 'swallowed' instead of playing with, and it all comes back up!

well today he seemed to gag less at tea, maybe he's getting used to having food in there! I can see him pushing stuff to the top of his mouth sometimes so I know he can move it around with his tongue if he needs to.
I didn't think he'd actually been swallowing anything, but nappy tells another story!

hmm...maybe i should buy the book then! isabel does not do being fed with a spoon...it could be that i just need to persist more, but i figure its her way of saying she'd prefer to BLW so i go with that, but i am finding some days she eats quite well and other days she won't even pick up the food let alone try it...so it's completely normal for them to pay naff all interest at meals???? :confused:

hmm...maybe i should buy the book then! isabel does not do being fed with a spoon...it could be that i just need to persist more, but i figure its her way of saying she'd prefer to BLW so i go with that, but i am finding some days she eats quite well and other days she won't even pick up the food let alone try it...so it's completely normal for them to pay naff all interest at meals???? :confused:

Personally I wouldn't persist trying to get her to accept a spoon at this age. I think now they are starting to want to do things for themselves. I would just let her try and feed herself if she wants to. When we first started Ruby was barely, if at all, interested at most meals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->