Ideas for dealing with BLW messes!

CloudyDay

Reaction score
I am in the full swing of BLW now and DS is embracing it with all he's got! :thumbup: It's been so much fun seeing him enjoying the food, choosing favourites, carefully manoeuvering food into his hands and mouth, and just smushing it all over the place. :happydance: Then comes the clean up. :dohh: :wacko:

I wouldn't call myself a neat freak. But, the mess that comes w/ BLW is quite time consuming to deal with! I have accepted that I just have to set aside a chunk of time after each feeding to clean up and I'm getting much better at feeling less stressed about the mess. But... no matter what, it's still A LOT OF WORK!!

I thought I'd start this thread as a place to collect great ideas for dealing w/ BLW messes to help make it easier and quicker to clean up after feedings. (Sorry if there's already a thread like this somewhere... couldn't find any after doing a search) Here's some of the strategies I've been using... I'd love to read more! Do share! :winkwink:

• I put a large piece of oil cloth under the highchair. It's great for protecting the floor, easy to keep clean, and keeps dropped food clean so I can give it back to baby.
  • I will be buying some long-sleeved bibs. DS has been going through far too many clothes and I'm running out! Having some longsleeved bibs would make cleaning baby up much faster!
  • I clean up in this order: the tray, baby's hands, then his face. I used to start with his face or hands but he'd just get it all messed up again by fiddling at the food left on the tray. :dohh:

I think you're doing everything you can really!
I clean Ruby up, then clean the floor, table etc while she is still in her highchair so I can do that quickly without having to watch her really.
I just bought about 15 cheap vests and let her eat in those, I always take her sweater/top off before food.

Sounds like you're doing everything I am - except that I also have 2 furry secret weapons!! The dogs tend to clean anything that was on the floor, so I just take care of Aisling, the table and the chair :D

Mum2bClaire: the cheapie vests, what a great idea! It gave me an idea... I've got some raggedy sleepers in storage that I will take out and put onto DS, backwards, to protect his sleeves and the clothes he's wearing. That way, I won't have to undress him every time. :thumbup:

Sounds like you're doing everything I am - except that I also have 2 furry secret weapons!! The dogs tend to clean anything that was on the floor, so I just take care of Aisling, the table and the chair :D

Ha ha... how cute! I haven't had a dog for many years now... been waiting for the right time to adopt another one for years. Could now be the right time? :winkwink:

So... there's really nothing more that anyone else does?? I find it takes me between 5-10 minutes to clean up after each feeding. Hmm... now that I see the numbers, I guess it's really not that much time, huh? :shrug:

Our high chair has a removable tray so I take that off first, then wipe his hands, then his face and leave the chair for later!
I always use a long sleeved bib for finger food and a hard plastic tray bib for porridge/yogurt so he doesn't get it on his trousers.
I put a shower curtain under his chair which is easy to clean.

"Odie! Clean up!" Dogbot obliges, Amber stops smooshing to watch Dogbot and I attack her with a wet flannel! A flannel is better than wipes I've found, atleast when at home and you have the option.

And I'm not BLW, we're just onto finger foods and self feeding.

With DS2 he used to have a helmet for his plagio, that had to come off because he'd stash food in it for later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->