Identical twins CAN be opposite genders!!

A

Aria

Don't believe me? Well, don't believe me, believe National Geographic. A few months I saw the NatGeo special, In the Womb: Multiples. This video excerpt from their site says:

Identical twins are almost always the same sex, but surprisingly there are a tiny number of boy-girl monozygotic twins. They result from an egg that contains an unusual mixture of sex chromosomes, not the usual XX for a girl, and XY for a boy. Occasionally an egg contains three sex chromes, two X's and a Y. But if the egg divides to produce monozygotic twins, a chromosome may be lost in the process, leaving one embryo with a girl's XX combination, and her monozygotic twin as an XY boy.​

This can also happen when the egg is fertilized with the male chromosome, making an XY egg, that splits into two, with one of the embryos dropping the Y, making her an XO girl, resulting in Turner's Syndrome.

Identical twins start off as one egg that splits, but the two separate embryos don't always develop identically. More and more experts are beginning to refer to these twins as monozygotic twins instead of as identical twins.

There are only a few documented cases in history of boy-girl identical twins, so it's not surprising most people have never heard of it. I only learned of it while watching that full NatGeo special. Interesting that this CAN actually happen, no?

Wow. No one would ever believe them that they were indeed identical twins

Amazing, is it not? This is why more doctors are starting to call identicals monozygotic instead. Even when they're the same gender, one getting a little bit more oxygen and the other a little bit more nutrition can result in babies that don't look 100% alike.

yeh i watched that the other day they called them semi identical

Hi aria you are indeed right. I lend out this dvd in my multiple birth classes in Reading and parents to be find it a fascinating watch.

I know someone who has triplets and 2 of them are identical twins of opposite gender.

I'm convinced my b/g set are identical. They look so similar. It was about a month ago that this was pointed out to me

It is crazy, we saw that special when we were expecting J&E.
We have a mom in our multiples club who has b/b identicals, one has CP and the other doesn't! But they are 100% sure they are identical as the state did testing for them... some twin study thing.

I know a set of identical twins that are different sexes :)

Thats quite cool. Especially you can see how the same material turns out as boy and as girl. I would be interested in seeing pictures of them :D

Wow thats crazy, nobody would ever believe you if you told them.

Its so rare and usually involves a chromosomal abnormality. For instance, the family I know the twins have male chromosomes but one came out totally female, female parts and all. But, during chromosomal analysis she was male. So, they are kind of opposite genders but not really. It's wierd.

Wow, just shows the human body is capable of anything :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->