if BMI is high do they offer c section?

ellie1275

pregnant- 2nd trimester
Reaction score
Hi girls,
I was just wondering as someone told me that if your BMI goes over 30 they recommend a c section? does anyone know if this is true?

I am actually a size 12-14 but I am quite heavy for the way I look I always get told to lose weight by docs etc due to BMI being over 28. however I am always being told by people that I am slim!!! I have always been heavy for my size i put it down to 3 things 1. I drink, and always have, gallons of milk (strong, dense bones) 2. I have been very sporty thoroughout my life (am quite muscly) and 3. I have huge boobs! (34 G).
I would only need to put on another stone (which is quite possible!) and my BMI will be over 30

can anyone help???

I've never heard of that. In the US they tend to get more concerned if your BMI is over 50. That's right... 50.

So women like : https://www.grimmemennesker.dk/data/media/2/superwoman.jpg

I guess because we have such an obesity issue in the US.

I've never heard of that. In the US they tend to get more concerned if your BMI is over 50. That's right... 50.

So women like : https://www.grimmemennesker.dk/data/media/2/superwoman.jpg

I guess because we have such an obesity issue in the US.

my god!!! :haha:

No, thats rubbish hun. If your BMI was over 30 pre preg then you are considered more high risk so might get put under a consultant but there are soooo many other reasons they do this too that you could get referred anyway :)

Totally untrue. My BMI is 33-34 something like that and has been for ages. I have never had a c-section, nor was one EVER brought up. I gave birth to both my daughters naturally and had no problems what so ever

Actually the oppisite!!! the risks are high for c section when you have a high BMI!

They had a special show on this on TLC the other night:

https://health.discovery.com/tv/baby-week/obese-and-pregnant.html

I think some gave vaginal births. Pretty sure anyways.

Umm... my BMI is over 50 and there's been absolutely NO discussion of c-section.

Umm... my BMI is over 50 and there's been absolutely NO discussion of c-section.

Interesting. :) Perhaps you're in good enough physical condition they haven't mentioned it.

I talked to my doctor about whether or not I was considered high risk due to my weight and they assured me that I was not unless my BMI was over 50. Could also vary by hospital or state too.

The consultants/docs encougages a vaginal birth in people with high BMIs!!!

That makes sense to me. Maybe I'm mistaken and by high risk they just mean complications.

I know on that show, for one lady, they had to use some type of tape to literally tape her belly up over her chest so they could cut into her for the c-section.

A C-section is more risky in people who are overweight, for a number of reasons... usually there is more fat to cut through and it can get in the way and also the extra fat/weight usually means that the heart is under more strain.

If somebody has a high BMI but isn't particularly fat and is in good physical condition then there's no more risk than your average person.

It really depends upon the person and their individual make up, not their statistical BMI.

Nope, my bmi is 47 and there has been no mention of a c-section.

Yeah, the c-sections in overweight women are *usually* due to other complications such as pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes and "large" babies. And even then, labour is induced and attempted vaginally before going to a section. There's usually a higher risk of infection with sections in overweight women due to proper airflow not getting to the incision site.

And in my case, yes I am quite healthy. I just happen to be morbidly fat along with it. As a matter of fact, I happen to look a lot like the woman in the pic that Kittee posted... minus the spandex and cape.

I should get a new cape.

That makes sense to me. Maybe I'm mistaken and by high risk they just mean complications.

I know on that show, for one lady, they had to use some type of tape to literally tape her belly up over her chest so they could cut into her for the c-section.

yep, difficult accses to make an incision, high risk for bleeding and infection, long recovery time!!! coming from a mum with a high BMI and has experianced a emergancy c section and a VBAC :D

Yeah, the c-sections in overweight women are *usually* due to other complications such as pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes and "large" babies. And even then, labour is induced and attempted vaginally before going to a section. There's usually a higher risk of infection with sections in overweight women due to proper airflow not getting to the incision site.

And in my case, yes I am quite healthy. I just happen to be morbidly fat along with it. As a matter of fact, I happen to look a lot like the woman in the pic that Kittee posted... minus the spandex and cape.

I should get a new cape.

LOL :) Let me know where you order your cape from. I am also in need of one.

Do you think we can get purple spandax?

I've always been overweight but my blood pressure, sugar everything else has always been PERFECT. Doctors don't understand it. But I come from a long line of heavy women and men, so I think it's just genetics.

My BMI is 40/41 and theres' been no mention of it, infact the complete opposite, all discussions so far have been about what birth I want, and helping to make sure I get that.
I am aware though that higher BMI ladies may need to have an additional appoitment with an anthesist (sp) closer to delivery to discuss drug use in the case of an emergency c-section, but thats simply as the higher the BMI, the more you may need and they need to be careful abot this.

Do you think we can get purple spandax?
Sure... buy the material and make it. :p That's what I have to do with just about everything.

I've always been overweight but my blood pressure, sugar everything else has always been PERFECT. Doctors don't understand it. But I come from a long line of heavy women and men, so I think it's just genetics.
That's me. Blood pressure stays absolutely perfect, cholesterol levels are absolutely perfect. I'm at no higher risk for heart disease than a thin person. My blood sugar stays normal (though, I go for my GD test this Friday afternoon). I don't have any of the problems that most morbidly obese people have. But mine is also due to medications (and maybe a bit of genes as my mother and grandmother are both large... but they also had full hysterectomies when they were in their mid-twenties because of cancer and they both suffer hypothyroidism). I was a skinny little thing up until I started being put on anti-depressants when I was 15. Everything they put me on blew me up and it's just been getting worse with each new medication since. *shrug* Nothing I can do about it unless I stop my meds, which would literally end up killing me and possibly a few people around me.

Yep I have crohns. I lost bit of weight due to that then they put me on prednisone. That screwed me.

I know in the UK they wont give any assisted fertility treatment if your BMI is over 35 (I was just over this for my first appointment so lost 1 1/2 stone before seeing the consultant as he wouldn't have done anything if I hadn't).

Whether this is something that is considered for normal pregnancies I have no idea. I think my BMI is about 32 (or was at the start of the pg) and nothing was mentioned to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->