if BMI is high do they offer c section?

i dnt think its true hun, my bmi is 31 or something like tht n never been tlk of c-section xx

My bmi was 34 at my 16 week appointment, at which point I was put under consultant care, told I WOULD get gestational diabetes, possibly pre-eclampsia, would have a very difficult pregnancy and would end up with a caesarean.

I'd just like to say that this is utter crap! I passed my diabetes test with perfect results, my blood pressure has never gone above 110/70, I've had no swelling or problems at all in this pregnancy and as my MIL keeps telling every I look "amazing" (bless her!), I've only put 8lbs on so far and I am "baffling" my consultant who, for some reason, cant work out why I am not the problem case she had me down for!!

I'm a heavy girl as well, and I've been having no issues at all, I just got back from a doctors appointment and he said the baby and myself are doing fantastic. There's been no talk about seeing anyone other than himself until closer to the delivery, then he needs to direct me someone in the town where I'll be having Peanut, but that's it.

All he said about my weight was that I need to be careful about gaining more weight, he said it'll happen because of the pregnancy anyhow but just be careful about how much I put on.

By the way, you girls made me realize what I've been missing, where can I get a cape?

Now a cape would be so cool!! And has to be purple!! I wonder where I could get a pattern????
My BMI has dropped since I was weighed at my 10 week appt till my 20 week from 42 to 38 or 39 I think but apart from a referral to the anaesthetic dept. they're not doing anything differently though I'm diabetic anyway so under obstetric rather than midwife care. Though I go in and they test my blood sugar and warn me they will have to put me on insulin at some point then tell me - not this time!
Chins up ladies - we may be tubbies but we can give the skinny girls a run for their money!
xx

My BMI was 35 was I got pregnant and a c section hasnt even been mentioned. Maybe it depends on the hospital?

My BMI was over 35 when i got pregnant, i'm only under consultant care because they discovered i have an underactive thyroid - but no mention of a c-section here either.

i think that a larger women (myself included) would take longer to heal from a c-section tbh. i want to avoid a c-section if i can help it.

MY BMI is 34-35. C-section never been mentioned.
I was put under consultant care, i personally think it was purely because they expect me to have a problem pregnancy but been perfectly fine, natural all the way :)

No, thats rubbish hun. If your BMI was over 30 pre preg then you are considered more high risk so might get put under a consultant but there are soooo many other reasons they do this too that you could get referred anyway :)

what are the other reasons- do you know??? :wacko:

thanks girls thanks for all that- look like I have nothing to worry about!
loving the stuff about capes!!! you lot make me laugh!

:happydance:

No, thats rubbish hun. If your BMI was over 30 pre preg then you are considered more high risk so might get put under a consultant but there are soooo many other reasons they do this too that you could get referred anyway :)

There are too many to name really. If you've had an emergency c section before, if you've had several previous miscarriages, if you've had a stillbirth, if you've had a premature baby, if you have a heart condition, if you have asthma, if you're diabetic, if you have an under or over active thyroid, if you have a blood clotting disorder... etc etc

They don't just have you under consultant care on a whim so if you're otherwise healthy, but have a high BMI... odds are you wont need it at all.

No definately not. Doctors don't like to offer a C Section unless its absolutely necessary with pregnancy complications. It is safer for both mother and baby to deliver naturally. A higher BMI could mean that you are monitored more closely and offered a GTT, but if all is well then you will be pushing hun!

There are too many to name really. If you've had an emergency c section before, if you've had several previous miscarriages, if you've had a stillbirth, if you've had a premature baby, if you have a heart condition, if you have asthma, if you're diabetic, if you have an under or over active thyroid, if you have a blood clotting disorder... etc etc

They don't just have you under consultant care on a whim so if you're otherwise healthy, but have a high BMI... odds are you wont need it at all.

I have had 4 miscarriages and I am under consultant care---could I be referred for one? :wacko:

Great news guys-

I finished my cape outfit last night. The store was out of purple so I did what I could.

https://www.esaba.com/cats/catimagessimple2/55849.jpg

I have had 4 miscarriages and I am under consultant care---could I be referred for one? :wacko:

Did you mean to say that you're not? I'll assume so as I don't understand what you're saying otherwise.

It really does depend on the area with some things. There are no universal rules, just what some areas are happier doing etc. If you've not been referred yet, you aren't likely to be.

That question would probably be better answered by your doctor. Only they know your current health status, reasons for your previous miscarriages and any other relative factors.

Did you mean to say that you're not? I'll assume so as I don't understand what you're saying otherwise.

It really does depend on the area with some things. There are no universal rules, just what some areas are happier doing etc. If you've not been referred yet, you aren't likely to be.

the care I have recieved so far has been appaling so to be honest I dont know what I am- I am under consultant care- I think? I was referred because of my recurrent miscarriage. I meant referred for a c section? Im very confused you know!!! I know that I have been seeing the consultant regularly, aswell as GPs and MWs and have been scanned pretty much weekly- every two weeks, but as I have not had a baby before I am unsure if everybody gets put with the consultant too?? noone tells me anything! i got booked in by a trainee who didnt have a clue and got everything wrong- I ended up at the wrong hospital but they have continued my care there even though I will give birth at a completely different one!!! I also should have had a scan at 13 weeks of my cervix because I have had an op to remove pre cancer cells which I knew nothing about so didnt happen until 22 weeks. who knows where I will end up and what they have in store for me- It scares me actually!!
anyway thanks for all your comments girls!!! :hugs:

Are you saying you want a c-section? they could refer you for one, but only if you develop complications that mean you need one or if you're adamant that you want one but your recurrent miscarriages don't mean you will need one or automatically be referred for one. You're no more at risk of developing complications than anyone else, so don't worry about that.

As for everything else, it sounds like they've been good at giving you weekly scans and keeping their eye on your so I wouldn't complain too much. That's a lot more than many women in your situation could expect to receive. The scan of your cervix will have been to make sure it is competent I presume (most women who have had an operation to remove some or part of the cervix are monitored for incompetent cervix as a result) but leaving it until 22 weeks wont have put your baby in any danger, you would have had a few signs and symptoms that would have flagged up your incompetent cervix, if you had this, and they would have been able to act upon it (by placing a small stitch in the cervix).

What you need to do is ask questions, if you get flustered and forget them at the time when they ask "any questions?" then write them down and bring them with you, if they don't ask you if you have any questions... tell them that you do. The only way you'll ever know what's going on is if you ask them. If you're not satisfied... keep asking questions, keep pestering until you understand.

Are you saying you want a c-section? they could refer you for one, but only if you develop complications that mean you need one or if you're adamant that you want one but your recurrent miscarriages don't mean you will need one or automatically be referred for one. You're no more at risk of developing complications than anyone else, so don't worry about that.

As for everything else, it sounds like they've been good at giving you weekly scans and keeping their eye on your so I wouldn't complain too much. That's a lot more than many women in your situation could expect to receive. The scan of your cervix will have been to make sure it is competent I presume (most women who have had an operation to remove some or part of the cervix are monitored for incompetent cervix as a result) but leaving it until 22 weeks wont have put your baby in any danger, you would have had a few signs and symptoms that would have flagged up your incompetent cervix, if you had this, and they would have been able to act upon it (by placing a small stitch in the cervix).

What you need to do is ask questions, if you get flustered and forget them at the time when they ask "any questions?" then write them down and bring them with you, if they don't ask you if you have any questions... tell them that you do. The only way you'll ever know what's going on is if you ask them. If you're not satisfied... keep asking questions, keep pestering until you understand.

thanks- no I dont want one- if I can avoid it! I thought I did at one point but have since changed my mind- Im so unsure about a lot of things like breastfeeding too. I think because of my previous history I have found it hard to actually realise/accept I am having a baby!!!!:hugs:

just to add to what most woman were saying, my BMI is 41 and i had a section last time only because of failure to progress. They recommend you try for a normal delivery as the recovery is much much better than when you are over weight , believe me, if i could choose i would def have vag birth this time but i might be getting another c section due to one problem or another x

just to add to what most woman were saying, my BMI is 41 and i had a section last time only because of failure to progress. They recommend you try for a normal delivery as the recovery is much much better than when you are over weight , believe me, if i could choose i would def have vag birth this time but i might be getting another c section due to one problem or another x

Sorry to hijack the preg boards again :blush: I have a very high BMI & I had a section with my son due to failure to progress in second stage and managed A VBAC with DD and she was quite a big baby at 9lbs2oz, so it can be done good luck :thumbup: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->