• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

if this is it at 32weeks, wat should i expect?

mum2be257

Reaction score
As above really! Been having niggles and been in hospital already, just wondering yat i should expect if she arrives now! X

As above really! Been having niggles and been in hospital already, just wondering yat i should expect if she arrives now! X

Hi there, hope things settle down for you. I can only speak from my own experience but my baby was born at 32 weeks so thought Id share. I had a few days notice (baby had stopped growing so taken in for section) so I had the opportunity to have some steroids - have you? This helps the babies lungs develop, luckily because of this my lo only needed help with his breathing for 1 day.
I did get to have a quick look at him when he was born, but he was taken straight to the neonatal unit. At 32 weeks they haven't developed their sucking reflex so they're tube fed initially (which means regular expressing for mum!). My lo was in hospital for just under 4 weeks - I took him home tube fed, but he was bottle feeding by 5 week. As a general rule they say to aim for discharge around the babies due date, but obviously it depends how the baby progresses.
If you have any other questions just ask, hope baby stays put for you, but generally babies born at 32weeks do very well x x x

My lo was born at 32w and 6d. She spent 14 days in the NICU just to establish feeding and make sure she was gaining weight. Like the pp, I too had "warning" since my water broke for unknown reasons at 32w 2d. I was immediately admited to the hospital and started on the steroid shots. My lo had NO breathing problems at all, didn't need any oxygen or anything. She was mildly jaudice for 24 hours from day 3-4. She did need a feeding tube (through her nose) for about 9 days because she just didn't have enough energy to take full feedings, but she was taking at least part of each feeding through a bottle by day 5. Oh, she was 4lbs.11oz.

I was told that 32 weeks has pretty much the same prognosis as a full term baby and that most likely all they need at that gestation is help "getting started" and there shouldn't be any long term effects of the prematurity. I was also told that 34 weeks is better and that was our "goal" to keep my lo in until then.

My lo is now 3 months old, 10 pounds with chubby legs and fingers lol and you'd honestly have a hard time telling she was a preemie. She's of course small for a 3 month old, but she's in the 95th centile for her adjusted age! she's starting to smile, has great head control, will look for me if she hears my voice, is starting to make all kinds of "cooing" sounds when she's looking at something interesting etc. The only thing she's behind with for her birth age is hand control, but for her adjusted age she's way ahead.

What happened when you were in the hospital? I'd push for the steroid shots just in case if you haven't had them already.

EDT - oops, I fixed it but my original post said feeding tube for 19 days, it was 9.

Thank you, it all started last week...was having period like cramps and back pressure/cramps/dull ache so I went in, they monitored me and sent me home saying all was fine. Went on for a few days so i went back in and they checked my cervix which was closed..again sent home and said i wasn't in labour. It all eased off and then yesterday i had a different type of pain in my back, which definately felt like how my contractions started last time! eased off over night and been having them on and off throughout the day. More niggling so if it is, its the very very start...going to see if anything changes changes over the next couple of days. hopefully it will fade away again! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->