I'm all confused over storing EBM now...

Snowball

Resident badass
Reaction score
I'm going out all of Thursday night so I started expressing today so my DH has something to give Ozzie. I put it in the freezer because I thought EBM only lasted 24 hours in the fridge but now I've read otherwise. How long can it be stored in a fridge for?

Also I'm a bit worried I've read about defrosted EBM going off and smelling vile. Is that common? I'm so worried I'm thinking about going and getting some formula just incase that happens to mine:blush:

Hi hon, have a look at this for storage advice https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Not sure about the milk smelling rancid thing, I've just read about it here for the first time. Here's a bit more info on that for you though https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/lipase-expressedmilk.html

My hospital guidelines say only keep in fridge for 5 days so ive never kept it longer just incase!

Ive (touch wood) never had a problem with my milk turning, but i always have a couple of the readymade formula cartons in the bag just incase ;)

I've read 24 hours in the fridge. I've never had the problem with it smelling rancid, but I have heard of others having that problem. Maybe pump as much as possible, store it in smaller amounts (2-4 ounces each) and have extra. That way if one bag smells funny, it can be dumped and another used.

I doubt you will have that problem, though!

I pump regularly at work, and Bella has only had fresh milk. We keep it in the fridge for up to 7 days, freezer for 3 months. We don't heat the milk either. We keep it at room temp for a couple hours, then give it to her. She doesn't seem to mind.. still gobbles it up! :)

How long does it keep at room temp? I'm wondering if I could pump first thing in the morning and send him to childminder with a bottle then he can just have it with no heating up etc. I never know how warm it should be!

How long does it keep at room temp? I'm wondering if I could pump first thing in the morning and send him to childminder with a bottle then he can just have it with no heating up etc. I never know how warm it should be!

Kitten, I had a plan done for Adam by the Feeding Team at my Mat. hospital and she recommends no longer than 3 hours at room temp :hugs:

Hi hun, im training to be a bf counsellor and we got told 6 hours room temp, 5 days fridge and 6 months in the freezer. Let it defrost at room temp xx

I've read 3-4 months in freezer and 6 months in a deep freezer? :shrug: And 4 hours room temp!

UGG... what to believe????

The La Leche bible says there are no more bacteria in ebm kept at room tempt for 10 hours than ebm which has been in the fridge...

(My hv read this to me, then looked up and said 'so, if you're out shopping in the city and need to express, you could do that, take it home and it'll be fine'. I don't know if she was joking. :) )

At the same clinic I've been told 24 hours fresh, 3 days fresh and 5 days fresh - seems noone knows!

I was told 24hours in the fridge :shrug:

But after reading this and the other thread about EMB tasting bad once frozen, I defrosted a batch and smelled it. Smells good (actually really sweet?) so I will test it on him tonight and see. I need to be able to build up a small supply@
xx

On both NICUs I've worked on, it was: frozen milk was 3 months in the freezer, defrost at room temperature and then can be in the fridge for 24 hours; fresh milk could be in the fridge for 48 hours; it could be out at room temperature for 4 hours before needing to be used; and any bottle actually drank from could only be used for the next hour. All that said, that's at hospital where we have to be stricter with things (obviously, there's more bugs there and other people's milk to contend with) - it's accepted that you can leave things for longer in your own home environment.

^^ Thanks for that! Those seem to be the general guidelines I tend to find. It makes sense that they are probably on the conservative side, but I like that. Better to be safe than sorry! :thumbup:

Midwife told me 6 hours at room temperature. So many different opinions.

Midwife told me 6 hours at room temperature. So many different opinions.

But from 4 hours on a NICU to 6 hours in your home environment - that's really negligible, isn't it? 6 hours room temperature at home sounds reasonable.

I'll only leave fresh ebm out at room temp for 5-6 hours, stored in the fridge for about 4 days (though I've read that 6 days is fine), 3 months in a regular refrigerator freezer, or 6-12 months in a deep chest freezer, which we have in the basement. Thawed ebm, we use in 24 hours.

And if he's drank from a bottle, I don't really care, as long as he finishes it within the next 4 hours or so. I just leave it sitting out at room temp. He's fine. lol
My sister NEVER gave my nephew milk that had been out more than an hour, or that he'd sipped from already. He is equally fine. :)

Your baby, your preference. Read up on the guidelines and make your own rules. Just use discretion, and watch how your milk and baby responds.

I live mine in the fridge for 5-7 days, and will keep it in the freezer for somewhere between 3 and 4 months. Our freezer never rises about a certain temperature so the milk is constantly frozen solid. We defrost by leaving at room temp or by putting it in warm water - the same way we warm up bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->