• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

I'm confused!

AC81

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
hello knowledgeable ladies! I'm hoping for a bit of advice...

At my 28wk mw appointment she (my usual midwife) said baby was head down, although not engaged.... It was the same story at my 31wk mw appointment - down but not engaged yet.

On Monday, I had my 34wk appointment and had a stand-in midwife. I told her I'd been having some pains in my pelvis area when walking and was wondering if bubs had engaged yet. Now I'm fairly sure baby has been in roughly the same position since about 28wks because I always have something hard under my right rib cage. She had a prod and poke, was very rough with me actually and then said baby was breech and didn't know why it hadn't been picked up. She told me the head was in my ribs, not the bottom as I'd been told. She said if baby hadn't turned by 36wks I will be sent for a scan and they'll try to turn it bla bla bla

Today I saw my GP for another reason and while I was in there asked him what he thought - he prodded and poked and said he thought it felt head down, just not engaged.

Right - so I'm really confused now... at my next appointment can I ask to be sent for a scan to make sure? I was planning to have bubs in a birth centre where any complications means an ambulance ride to the next hospital. Don't really want to get there and they see feet coming out first, so then I'm whisked off for an emergency C-section.

So really, just wondering if I can make them send me for a scan to remove any doubt. Someone is getting it wrong I'm just not sure who!

Im not really sure but i think i'd take my GP and original midwifes word for it as its 2 against 1 and i would defo ask for a scan at next app if they don't do it anyway, i know my babys head down as i've had a scan with sonographer everytime i've been at the hospital, and i also have something hard under my right rib cage..always sore and quite hard i think thats the bum! because the feet are on the left side of my ribs on the scans

I'd ask for another opinion and a scan to confirm. Like you said, if you want to have baby at the Birth Centre you dont want to find out you need moving in a hurry.

OR - you could ask to have baby at the Halifax Birth Centre so you're on the same site as the hospital??? I'm at Halifax!

x

I dont know, I think I would feel safer with a scan... Usually something hard is the baby's head... Which would make me think the stand in MW is right.. I dont know though.

Here in Canada they dont even check the babies position until much later, I still haven't had them check it and im going for my 36w appointment on Mon... They dont check because the baby can change positions so many times.

the same happened to me, i was told katie was head down and on the brim by my midwife and then two days later was told she could be breech, but was told today that she was defo head down. i'd go with what your normal midwife said xx

Yeah i was thinking that - I did a tour of Halifax last Monday. I think it would put my mind at ease knowing I don't have far to travel in case of an unforseen emergency. Think I'll definitely be asking for a scan so they can be sure of bubs whereabouts!

Usually something hard is the baby's head...

my mw said at antenatal class that baby's bum is actually the hardest part, which suprised everyone! she said everyone's always shocked to hear it. would explain why i'm in pain now lol, she's got her bum in my ribs

I just noticed you're 34 wks - there's still time if baby has turned breech for them to turn back. But in the meantime you need to know dont you.

How does Halifax compare to Hudds Birth Centre BTW ???

where do you feel the most kicks?I know for sure head is down and i get kicked under ribs.One trick for you to tell is lie down and take a deep breath in and feel around the top of your pubic hair line.If bum is there it will be hard and i should guess big and painful if its about 2cm wide it should be a neck.Dont quote me on it but they struggledto find my babys head and that was a trick they taught me.message me if you need any more advise.all else fails i would go with the 2 opinions and if you still worry then ask for a scan.xxxx

Guess it depends on who you talk to whether it is the head or the bum.

I just noticed you're 34 wks - there's still time if baby has turned breech for them to turn back. But in the meantime you need to know dont you.

How does Halifax compare to Hudds Birth Centre BTW ???

The Halifax Birth Centre is newer than the Hudds one, but I think I prefered the Hudds one - not sure why, it just felt more homely! Plus it's only 5mins from my house. But putting me off it is the thought of being transferred if need be (or if I decide gas, air and massage just aren't cutting the mustard).

Yeah I know if bubs is breech there's time to turn around - I think I'm just more annoyed that I'm getting conflicting information. The stand in midwife seemed really convinced and told me that the severe pain in my ribs is consistent with a head being there, and asked where I get most of my movements, which I seem to have low down.

where do you feel the most kicks?I know for sure head is down and i get kicked under ribs.One trick for you to tell is lie down and take a deep breath in and feel around the top of your pubic hair line.If bum is there it will be hard and i should guess big and painful if its about 2cm wide it should be a neck.Dont quote me on it but they struggledto find my babys head and that was a trick they taught me.message me if you need any more advise.all else fails i would go with the 2 opinions and if you still worry then ask for a scan.xxxx

I get movement all over - what feels like kicks low down, but then slow gradual shifting movements (like wriggling to get comfy) up top.

The Halifax Birth Centre is newer than the Hudds one, but I think I prefered the Hudds one - not sure why, it just felt more homely! Plus it's only 5mins from my house. But putting me off it is the thought of being transferred if need be (or if I decide gas, air and massage just aren't cutting the mustard).

Yeah I know if bubs is breech there's time to turn around - I think I'm just more annoyed that I'm getting conflicting information. The stand in midwife seemed really convinced and told me that the severe pain in my ribs is consistent with a head being there, and asked where I get most of my movements, which I seem to have low down.

I've not been to Hudds so I was curious! If its 5 mins away thats a bonus too. You really need to get to the bottom (pardon the pun) of which way round bubs is dont you. I'd even tell them that it could affect where you choose to go for the reasons we've just been talking about. It's not good enough that you're getting conflicting opinions.

Let us know how you get on wont you.

x

I've not been to Hudds so I was curious! If its 5 mins away thats a bonus too. You really need to get to the bottom (pardon the pun) of which way round bubs is dont you. I'd even tell them that it could affect where you choose to go for the reasons we've just been talking about. It's not good enough that you're getting conflicting opinions.

Let us know how you get on wont you.

x

Yeah that's a good point because it totally will affect where I have the baby if it is breech. I'll keep you posted when I go back at 36wks to demand my scan! xxx

I get movement all over - what feels like kicks low down, but then slow gradual shifting movements (like wriggling to get comfy) up top.

Hmm well its hard to say i get arms moving down low and jabs which i take it is an elbow and prods up top which must be feet.i get wriggling as head is engaged so like you say getting comfy.You felt hiccups yet if so where do you feel them?

Baby had probably moved since last appointment and still has time to turn....my son turned from breech to head down position at 35wks....phew coz he coz he came out just a week later:dohh:

I'd ask for another opinion and a scan to confirm. Like you said, if you want to have baby at the Birth Centre you dont want to find out you need moving in a hurry.

OR - you could ask to have baby at the Halifax Birth Centre so you're on the same site as the hospital??? I'm at Halifax!

x

Hey! I'm the other side of Huddersfield i.e. Manchester side, but I'm with Mervs Mum!! I'm off to Halifax Birth Centre!!! Hee hee!! And as for baby being breech. I was told at my 34 wk that baby was breech, at 36 another midwife said he wasn't breech and that he was almost fully engaged. She said it's really difficult for them to get it right as bums and heads feel really similar. So I'd push for a scan giving the reason that you want a birth in the birth centre. Good luck and hope you get your Huddersfield Birth!!!

xx

I would def ask for a presentation scan on the grounds that you've been given conflicting opinions. Good luck hun.
x

Definitely request a presentation scan just to make sure. My daughter was breech and my MW and Doctor said she was head down so there was a big shock in the delivery room! This time despite my MW saying he's head down, she's still letting me have a presentation scan to put my mind at rest cos TBH I don't trust what they say at times!!!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hayley1990
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"