I'm driving myself crazy with baby weaning

Tinylo

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
Help.....please....

I'm sat here confused, worried and don't know what to do. :hissy: (what's new, I've felt like this since Lewis was born :dohh:)

• I'm worried that I'm giving Lewis his tea to late, 6.00pm.
  • I'm worried I'm not going to be able to give him any snacks/finger food as he usually sleeps a couple of hours after a feed so won't be awake for them.
  • I don't know if I'm giving him enough puree, 1 or 2 ice cubes per feed but he always wants milk, the same amounts as before he was on solids. I've been weaning him for nearly 6 weeks now and he still has the same amount of puree, it's a struggle to get that down him.
  • I don't know when or if to stop 2 of his milk feeds when he's 7 months old, I read somewhere that they're only supposed to have 3 milk feeds at 7 months.
What times do you ladies feed your LO's their meals?? If they nap do you wake them up to feed them on time?? How much roughly do they eat?? For those that have LO 7 months and above, how many milk feeds do they have a day??

If anyone can answer any of these please let me know, thanks. x

Hannah's younger, only six months but I'll tell you right now, to my surprise she's been on the same amount of milk since being weaned

this is roughly her schedule (keep in mind she never was a big milk drinker)

7:45(ish) 4-5 ounces of formula, oatmeal cereal made up with 2 ounces of formula and a few teaspoons of applesauce (or other fruit)
9ish nap
10:30 finger food snack + water/juice (toast fingers, rusk etc.)
11ish nap
12(ish) 4-6 ounces of formula, 3/4 a jar of fruit puree
1:30/2 nap
2:30 (or after nap) finger food snack +water/juice
3/3:30 nap
4(ish) 4-6 ounces of formula, 1 jar of vegetable puree, a few teaspoons of yogurt if she's still hungry
6:15 top up bottle 3-4 ounces
10 dream feed 4-6 ounces

Her feeding schedule isn't set, I can approximate the times she'll eat daily but I usually let her guide me. Once she's hungry I give her a bottle and only after she's had that bottle is she allowed her meal (she'd eat solid foods all day and skip milk if I let her). Hannah takes roughly 3-4 naps a day, but she only sleeps for 30-40 minutes at a time

It varies and i know how you feel i felt so lost for a while and things can suddenly feel really overwhelming (sp?)

Day usually goes like this...

7am - Boobie juice followed by Hipp Organic breakfast cereal (4mnths+)
9.30am - Boobie Juice and maybe a nap for about 30mins.
12.30 - Boobie Juice followed by vegetable puree, and then 1 or 2 of the following. Baby Yoghurt, baby fruit puree, mashed banana, baby organic ruskits. Few sips of cool boiled water with about 1/8th baby pear juice.
----Nap sometime between 1pm-3pm for 30mins to 1hr----
3pm - Boobie Juice
5.30pm - Boobie Juice followed by vegetable puree, and then baby rice mixed with fruit puree or Baby Yoghurt. Few sips of cool boiled water with about 1/8th baby pear juice.
6.30pm - Bathtime
7pm-7.30pm - Bedtime

She usually (lately only wakes once) but sometimes 2 or 3 times and i will feed her myself each time.

I try and keep her lunch and dinner at the same times but breakfast is flexible depending on when she wakes and also her feeds from me can vary to as and when she wants it.....she still nurses from me for the same amount of time so is still having the same amount of milk plus the solids.

I don't plan on cutting any milk feeds out unless she prompts me that she doesn't want it anymore....

Amelia doesn't get snacks, not yet i think once her milk feeds are reduced i will give her 1 at 10ish and 3ish.

She only has 2 or 3 naps a day and usually only about 30mins each, so i don't wake her.

Why don't you write down how things work for you each day and then try and schedule things around it? Have a think about which feed of milk he might not need or want?

I'm not to sure to be honest....i think the term for what i am doing is 'winging it' ! :rofl:

Thanks Vickie,

I think I'll have to stop worrying about feeding times & amounts quite so much and just let Lewis guide me (I seem to say this and never heed the advice :dohh:) and if he's awake and it's an hour or 2 before a feed, he can have a snack. I guess I'm just scared to try something new. :blush:

The thing I find most difficult is that some days he can go 4 hours between feeds other days it's only 3 hours, this means routines & trying to do anything is nearly impossible.

Oh well, I guess most of us are in the same boat, it's just good to get it off my chest from time to time.

Thanks again. :hugs:

Thanks Whisper,

I think that term "winging it" applies to most of us on here at some point....

At the moment he has 5 milk feeds a day and 3 pureed meals so he's never hungry, I guess I don't want to over or under feed him by adding snacks. I do think I'm going to try to get him to have his tea a little earlier, it's scary trying something new :blush:

Erin has her dinner at 6.00pm and I think its fine. Her routine is like this:

8.00am - baby porridge made with 2 oz of her milk
10.00am - 7oz bottle
1.00pm - veg puree and fruit puree or yoghurt + water
3.30pm - 7oz bottle
6.00pm - veg puree and fruit puree + water
8.00pm - 7oz bottle

She was having a bottle first thing in the morning and also some milk at lunch but she has decided she doesn't want it anymore so she is on 3 bottles a day of 7oz plus milk in her breakfast and sometimes in her fruit with babyrice. As long as they are having 18+ oz a day then its fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->