Im finding breastfeeding hard work at the moment

Aphrodite

Reaction score
When jack was newborn i used a breastfeeding cushion but he is too big for it now.im finding it hard to find a comfortable position.he is too heavy to support just from my arms so i find myself leaning forward which i know is no good for my back.plus he wiggles and squirms a lot of the time and has started to turn his head away taking my nipple with him Ouch! so im finding it hard work at the moment.any advice on how to make it more comfortable?

(When possible) you can lay on your side and lay him facing you.

Defniatly lying down. Lo likes sitting on my knee too, or me lying on my back with her sideways across my chest. If she could she would do it standing on her head ;)

I find sitting on the bed or the floor leaning against the wall or sofa helps to keep my back straight (or in a nursing chair if you have one). Sit crossed legged and let LO sit in between your legs, or with your legs out in front of you and LO across them in cradle hold. :flower:

I'm having the same issues, and he's similar age. The nipple stretching is a pain, he is so easily distracted as soon as anyone enters the room or any slight noise... :roll:

Find somewhere you can sit and lean back and have your tummy take most of baby's weight, or lying down is great too.

I use pillows and or my legs to prop my kids on. I often bend one leg in my chair (so my knee is up on/over the arm, iykwim) and nurse from that side. That way, my thigh sort of props up my arm that is holding them. If I'm not in a chair where I can do that, I will use a pillow. But I find I can use my bent leg to prop them just about anywhere -- chair, couch, floor (with my back leaning against something), etc.

As for looking away, that is a normal stage they enter at that age and it only gets worse. :haha: They start to get more interested in the world around them and what is going on. Make sure he is truly hungry before you start a feed. If he's that distractable, he probably isn't that hungry. Also, give him something for his hands (I use blankies for my kids) or you will soon be getting little fingers shoved in your mouth, eyes, nose, etc. :rofl:

Glad it's normal it's just hard work!tiger lady i know exactly what you mean about that position as i sit the exact same way!i felt like a freak at first.glad im not the only one hehe.im already getting a battering from him lol pulling my hair is his favourite!i thought perhaps a breastfeeding necklace iv heard of mite keep his attention,anyone tried one?i do actually lie down to feed him a lot but sometimes it's harder as he can just roll away!

Good idea to wait until he's really hungry but im a bit concerned about the length of time he's going between feeds as it is.i guess i needn't worry,if he's hungry he'll let me know.i think you're all right in that he's so interested in everything that's it's more exciting than his food!

Glad it's normal it's just hard work!tiger lady i know exactly what you mean about that position as i sit the exact same way!i felt like a freak at first.glad im not the only one hehe.im already getting a battering from him lol pulling my hair is his favourite!i thought perhaps a breastfeeding necklace iv heard of mite keep his attention,anyone tried one?i do actually lie down to feed him a lot but sometimes it's harder as he can just roll away!

Good idea to wait until he's really hungry but im a bit concerned about the length of time he's going between feeds as it is.i guess i needn't worry,if he's hungry he'll let me know.i think you're all right in that he's so interested in everything that's it's more exciting than his food!

As long as he is a healthy weight and gaining over the course of a month, don't worry about how long he goes between feeds. At his age he can probably go up to 3-5 hours.

My DD doesn't space her feeds evenly. She actually reverse cycles. :roll: She has 2-3 short feeds during the day, but then feeds at least every couple of hours at night.

Feed on demand. Don't clock watch. :thumbup:

i have a bad back anyway and i find laying down is very comfy. also cushions! cushions behind me, Cushions to the side of me, pillow under LO. cushions cushions cushions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->