I'm fuming!!! MINOR car accident/bump yesterday...

Oh yuck! People can be such a**hats when it comes to cars and insurance. I understand there may be damage, etc but there's no reason to treat someone like that. Accidents happen to the best of us!

We were reversed into in a parking lot the other day, the guy was on his cell phone and not looking, slammed right into the rented tow dolly that we had attached to my husband's truck because guess what, my other car had died so I was already in a pretty foul mood. I almost fell out of the damn truck 'cuz I was getting in right when he hit us! Which being as far along as I am could have caused some problems to say the least. Was he apologetic? No. So we called the cops and had them file a report and take down his insurance info for us because he wouldn't just give it, we wouldn't have even done that if he would have just given us the insurance info so we could get it to the rental company. And even then we didn't freak out and start speaking rudely to him or anything, tho I really really wanted to!

Point is, people suck, especially with insurance stuff. I hope things work out for you!

Oh my.. :growlmad: That is so terrible!! Sending lots of :hugs: your way hun :flower: Like you said, if my OH wasn't paying attention such as on his phone then yes, even I'd give my own OH a fair mouthful lol. But it was a general accident that could have happened to anyone. In fact he was trying his best to avoid any accidents happening by paying attention to the car right opposite who didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing. My OH tried his best to be so apologetic to them, (I could even see his eyes filling up as he got back in to our car) but the other driver wasn't having any of it and just screamed and pointed in his face :nope:

They are doing the right thing contacting their insurance, you should do the same.

If you hadn't, I presume you'd inform your insurer of the incident when they ask for any accidents in the last 3/5 years? Like it or not, they use it to form an assessment of risk level.. Not maybe what you want to hear however I'm in agreement with the other party here (on informing insurers, not any claim that may or may not materialise)

Edited to add: I was once hit from behind at very low speed, and when I took my car to be checked it had £400 of structural damage - jut because the door isn't caved in do not presume there is no damage.

Even a low speed impact with no visible damage can cause considerable damage to the underside of the vehicle. Also, whiplash can occur in an accident with a speed as low as 5mph. Sorry, but be prepared for a claim against your policy.

I seriously do not need a lecture. I'm NOT exactly mad that they want to inform the insurance.. I'm furious at the way we were treated. If they were decent human beings and said something like 'Sorry but I feel it's the right thing to go through insurance' then fair enough, completely understandable. And yes we have informed our insurance actually.

Also, If they wanted to do things that proper then the police should have been called at the scene. Looking back that's what we should have done. But this coming from two young people who have NEVER been in a situation like that before, panicking, scared, in shock as the car seemed to have appeared from nowhere and got spoken to like complete utter sh*t.

actually this is not true, there would be no reason for the police to attend. they were contacted after both minor bumps i have had and both times they refused to come as it was totally unecessary

Well to be fair you have talked in your original post about wanting to go and give them a piece of your mind... I do not condone people swearing at you, but you seem to want to do the same thing..

You also said they want to go to insurance... "...FOR WHAT.."

I, and another, have you an opinion about why it is correct and proper that insurance is involved, and just because you don't like what we have to say you presume we are lecturing.

I have been involved in car accidents before, and my OH has been in one that is just about as serious as it gets without a fatal, and people react on adrenalin and instinct when it happens - I am sorry that you were shouted/sworn at, however you actually did the best thing in staying calm and not letting the situation escalate further.

Take deep breaths, be assured that you were the bigger (morally) people at the time, regardless of fault, and let your insurance deal with it.

Yes a piece of my mind meaning for the way that they spoke to us. Yes I want to do the same thing now, but I didn't do so... My 'for what' comment was just to express that I am so upset. IF there is any damage on the inside/underneath and they claim for it then fine, I just meant if there isn't any and they were to claim, make it look worse than it was etc.. God knows what some people are capable. You hear of so many false claims these days that I just meant it would be our luck that this was to happen. And thanks, I suppose we did do the right thing by staying calm, as like you said it could have got a lot worse x

They are doing the right thing contacting their insurance, you should do the same.

If you hadn't, I presume you'd inform your insurer of the incident when they ask for any accidents in the last 3/5 years? Like it or not, they use it to form an assessment of risk level.. Not maybe what you want to hear however I'm in agreement with the other party here (on informing insurers, not any claim that may or may not materialise)

Edited to add: I was once hit from behind at very low speed, and when I took my car to be checked it had £400 of structural damage - jut because the door isn't caved in do not presume there is no damage.

Even a low speed impact with no visible damage can cause considerable damage to the underside of the vehicle. Also, whiplash can occur in an accident with a speed as low as 5mph. Sorry, but be prepared for a claim against your policy.

I seriously do not need a lecture. I'm NOT exactly mad that they want to inform the insurance.. I'm furious at the way we were treated. If they were decent human beings and said something like 'Sorry but I feel it's the right thing to go through insurance' then fair enough, completely understandable. And yes we have informed our insurance actually.

Also, If they wanted to do things that proper then the police should have been called at the scene. Looking back that's what we should have done. But this coming from two young people who have NEVER been in a situation like that before, panicking, scared, in shock as the car seemed to have appeared from nowhere and got spoken to like complete utter sh*t.

actually this is not true, there would be no reason for the police to attend. they were contacted after both minor bumps i have had and both times they refused to come as it was totally unecessary

Oh really? :shrug: Was just going by what both of our parents had said x

If the other driver was being aggresive though the police would have had good grounds to come out though wouldn't they..

(sorry to be butt in btw)

edit : sorry that was a question by the way not a statement, I forgot to put the ? at the end of my sentance x

x

yes really, because there isnt anything for them to do when there has been a minor bump, both parties need to swap insurance details and then move on

If the other driver was being aggresive though the police would have had good grounds to come out though wouldn't they..

x

that may be true, however the OP was suggesting if the other party wanted to do things properly the police should have been called, which is different to the OP calling the police because the other party were acting like twats

x

that may be true, however the OP was suggesting if the other party wanted to do things properly the police should have been called, which is different to the OP calling the police because the other party were acting like twats

Yeah sorry I rushed my post! Didn't read properly. Quilty :dohh:

In general though if someone is faced in that position then they would come out wouldn't they?

That's what I was trying to get at!

I'll creep away now and button it :blush:
x

oh yes of course they would come out if there was any aggression or threatening behaviour, but for a simple minor bump there isnt anything they can do so its a waste of their time, and everyone involved who has to wait for them to arrive

Aw that is just horrible!!I can't imagine making someone feel like that!usually when a person is at fault they feel terrible enough without someone going off on them!!a poor man reversed into my car in a parking lot and smashed the lights and dented it in ect pretty bad,he hopped out and was so sorry and stressed I was extra nice to him CIA I felt bad for him!he was doing the right thing gave me all his details showed me his license Ect and his insurance paid.the only excuse for acting like they did if the person at fault is a complete ass.which your oh was not!terrible

x

Yeah sorry I rushed my post! Didn't read properly. Quilty :dohh:

In general though if someone is faced in that position then they would come out wouldn't they?

That's what I was trying to get at!

I'll creep away now and button it :blush:
x

Thats sort of what I meant to. Maybe things would have been sorted out much better if we called them though, who knows. As I don't think screaming and shouting and scaring us was doing things properly :( Everyone reacts differently I know.. But doesn't change the fact that I'm still quite shaken up, not about the actual 'bump' itself but about their reaction x

I would be feeling exactly how you are if it was me.

Some people are just looking for a way to claim nowadays. Some people want to milk it for all they can. Hopefully when they take their car into the garage to assess the damage they will see that there is none and it will all be okay. It is your word against theirs.

I had a bump a few months back, a lady decided to reverse in the front of my car as she couldn't see out of her back window. I was on my own in the car with LO, she wouldn't of got out of the car, but I made her. I had no witnesses. She said that she would get the lady she lived with to say that I drove into the back of her. I didn't think I stood much choice as the impact was on the front of my car and the back of her car. Rang insurance and explained it all. Her insurance then phoned my insurance, they were soon back on the phone to me saying that she was at fault and they would pay for the repairs. Stupid woman thought that she could get away with it. I would of done her for all I could if it was possible!!! She was so nasty.

Hope it gets sorted really quickly and that you and your OH are okay xxx

How am I giving you a lecture ? I was just letting you know that it is likely there will be a claim for damage and injury.

In theory you are supposed to report all accidents to the police but in reality if it's a minor then they won't actually come out.

Several years ago my SIL clipped someone wing mirror and the glass broke. As the driver was no where to be seen she put a note with her details on it under the windscreen wiper and she called the police who told her they werent interested. Not long after another family member did something very similar with the same sort of damage. They didn't tell the police and then received a visit from the police wanting to know why they hadn't reported it and telling them that all accidents have to be reported!!! It obviously depends on which police officer you get etc

the only time you have to report an accident to the police is if there are injuries or the other driver failed to stop

Yeah that's what the officer said when my sil tried to report it which is why my dad didn't report his. I'm assuming the other person was just being awkward getting the police involved.

I hate unnecessarily aggressive people. No matter who is at fault there's no need to swear and shout at anyone, or square up. Sorry you had that experience.

The car insurance is a whole different matter, I'll not join in as my opinion is that of the majority, let them sort it out, and hope for no whiplash claims (I had one against me many years ago, filed 9 months after the accident when the bloke hadn't even visited a doctor/hospital at the time of the accident...blatant rubbish, I blame the sue culture of Britain!)

I hate unnecessarily aggressive people. No matter who is at fault there's no need to swear and shout at anyone, or square up. Sorry you had that experience.

The car insurance is a whole different matter, I'll not join in as my opinion is that of the majority, let them sort it out, and hope for no whiplash claims (I had one against me many years ago, filed 9 months after the accident when the bloke hadn't even visited a doctor/hospital at the time of the accident...blatant rubbish, I blame the sue culture of Britain!)

Oh gosh, its very sad what some are capable of :sad1: Did you find out what the outcome was, whether he received any compensation etc?

I know there COULD (very unlikely) be 'structural' damage but in all honestly i've had bigger bumps accidentally going in to a pillar/pole in a car park lol.

And if any whiplash claims were to be put in with our case, I've just come across this website here which states 'To fit the definition, a whiplash injury must be an injury where there is a rear shunt motor vehicle accident which pushes the recipient forwards.' So my guess is that they wouldn't stand much chance anyway if the worst was to happen :thumbup: X

Oh gosh, its very sad what some are capable of :sad1: Did you find out what the outcome was, whether he received any compensation etc?

I know there COULD (very unlikely) be 'structural' damage but in all honestly i've had bigger bumps accidentally going in to a pillar/pole in a car park lol.

And if any whiplash claims were to be put in with our case, I've just come across this website here which states 'To fit the definition, a whiplash injury must be an injury where there is a rear shunt motor vehicle accident which pushes the recipient forwards.' So my guess is that they wouldn't stand much chance anyway if the worst was to happen :thumbup: X

I'm not sure how they work that one out. I received whiplash following a head-on collision with another car. It was fairly major and i received compensation on the basis that it was whiplash.

I have never had a personal injury claim dismissed on the basis that it wasn't a rear end collision. If it does proceed then the decision will be made on the content of the medical report and the opinion of the medical expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->