I'm going off the name but can't think of an alternative!

Elisheva009

Reaction score
When our second child was born, we had chosen the name Estelle for a girl but ended up having a boy.

Now were are expecting a girl and at the start of the pregnancy we said we'd use the name Estelle if it was a girl, but I'm slowly going off it. I also posted here for advice as I started to be drawn to the name Isla and a few people said they associate the name Estelle with the character from "Friends" (which I have never seen) so that put me off a bit more.

The problem is, we've been so stuck on this name for such a long time that I can't think of an alternative, and I wonder if we chose a different name, if we would regret it later and wish we'd gone with Estelle after all.

So far, I've suggested

Orla
Leah/ Lia
Eliana
Sacha
Isla

DH has rejected all those but has not come up with anything new himself.

I think Estelle is very pretty!

Personally I'm biased towards the name Isla just because that's what we named my daughter.
However, I think all the options you listed are pretty.
Names are hard. My husband and I have really struggled this time around.
I would really sit with the names for a bit. All of them are great names!!!!

I think Estelle is lovely, and as someone who has seen every episode of Friends at least 5 times, I wouldn't let that connection put me off. Partly because the kids she grows up with aren't going to be familiar with the character, and partly because as much as the character is quirky and a bit of a basketcase, she's also a small enough character in the show that it's not going to be a "big thing" (and for the record I find her to be hilarious and I don't think it's a glaringly 'bad' connection or anything).

Anyway, I prefer Estelle to all of the other names you've listed, though I do like Orla and Isla (though Isla has become very, very popular - not sure if that makes any difference to you).

I think Estelle is very pretty!

Personally I'm biased towards the name Isla just because that's what we named my daughter.
However, I think all the options you listed are pretty.
Names are hard. My husband and I have really struggled this time around.
I would really sit with the names for a bit. All of them are great names!!!!

We've been sitting on Estelle for such a long time that I think I'm having difficulty thinking of the baby as anything else, while at the same time wondering if it is really the best name out there for our baby.

My husband will not agree to any of the other names anyway, but is still not coming up with any alternatives!

I've always liked Isla and was really drawn to it at the start of this pregnancy. I can imagine having a little girl called Isla. The popularity is what puts me off though, I prefer less used names.

I think Estelle is lovely, and as someone who has seen every episode of Friends at least 5 times, I wouldn't let that connection put me off. Partly because the kids she grows up with aren't going to be familiar with the character, and partly because as much as the character is quirky and a bit of a basketcase, she's also a small enough character in the show that it's not going to be a "big thing" (and for the record I find her to be hilarious and I don't think it's a glaringly 'bad' connection or anything).

Anyway, I prefer Estelle to all of the other names you've listed, though I do like Orla and Isla (though Isla has become very, very popular - not sure if that makes any difference to you).

Yes, the popularity is what puts me off Isla. I've already got an Ethan and I hate the fact that's so popular (see my other thread about naming regret!)

I still have not seen an episode of friends although I did google the character of Estelle and was even more put off by the picture! haha

Also, as I wrote, I've already got an Ethan. Would it be weird to have Ethan and Estelle when my older DD has a name that does not begin with E?

I am shocked that you've never seen Friends!! Haha. But I have seen every episode a million times, and I definitely didn't think of Estelle from the show until you mentioned it.

Stella is a cute alternative that is definitely making a comeback, if you arent wanting to use Estelle.

I adore the name Estelle, it's what I wanted to name my son if he was a girl but DP said no because it is George's mums name on Seinfeld :rolleyes:

I love all of your other suggestions also!

Here are some suggestions of mine:
Bowie (I love, love, love this for a little girl but it's not everyone cup of tea)
Florence
Maggie
Marnie
Alice
Spencer
Eleanor

P.S I've never seen friends either!

I've seen every episode of Friends a bunch of times and also didn't think of Estelle from the show until you mentioned it.

If you don't want an E name, Stella sounds like a nice alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->