I'm not an invalid just because I'm pregnant!

Minstermind

Reaction score
I admit it's probably a hormone-induced rant, but I really get annoyed sometimes when people think I can't do things because I'm pregnant. Don't get me wrong, I totally get that their hearts are in the right place. It's just that I'm not about to endanger myself or my unborn baby with my activities, so give me some credit! I know my limits and what I'm willing and able to do, and what I can't or wouldn't risk.

''Don't lift that loaf of bread over there, you're pregnant!'' (ok, an exaggeration). ''Don't overdo it, you're pregnant!'' (when I mention I got a lot of cleaning or errands done. ''Make your husband do it, you're pregnant!'' etc etc..

My husband even got a razzing earlier by a friend of his for ''allowing me'' to do something he thought I shouldn't. It's understandable but really, I'm a grown adult, not a child!

with you on that one, it drives me insane, then of course i get mad when i am feeling lazy and my hubby lets me do things - so twisted :D

my mum does it often to me when im taking her out, she uses a wheelchair but its lightweight (bought so my grandad could lift it) and the wheels comes off, its no where near as heavy as her old on lol, its understandable but does irritate me, if i didnt think i could/should do something i wouldnt do it lol at least its not her motorised one..i admit i wouldnt even attempt it

I'm with you too - it's much worse for me in work.

One of my colleagues shouts at me if i dare to climb under my desk to turn my heater on and off or when I bend down to plug something in - she also tells my best mate off (who i work with) for not stopping me!

Helloooo! if I can crawl around on hands and knees when it comes to giving birth then i think i'll be ok now :wacko:

Ha ha i dont get this anymore! But i used to with some of the others!

ha ha ha. I have the extreme other side of it my MIL tells everyone around me to let me do it myself she says I'm able to do things now and need all the exercize I can get and I wont be able to do as much later on. She actually wanted me to mow her yard with a push type mower, cause I usually do that for her, My husband told her no its his kid and he don't want me hurting it by mowing so he did the mowing and then paid the neighbor kid to do it anytime it needed it.

well dont know about anybody else but i DO feel like a invalid lol

I totally agree, it's absolutely crazy. people at work say: 'Should you be lifting this?' when it's something not particularly heavy. I think unless it's an obvious risk people should just let us decide where our limits are. But then people think they can butt in and hand out advice whenever they want anyway, I guess we better just get used to it. it won't stop when the baby is here. x

I used to feel exactly the same but, now my bump feels really heavy and I even have trouble walking. Because I kicked up such a stink about wanting to carry on as normal early on my hubby doesnt do any extra and I really struggle at times.

I used to feel like that. but now, if anyone says 'dont do that', 'you shouldn't do that,here, let me help you with that', i think ok, go on then lo. Its the one time were I am able to get away with doin not a lot! :thumbup:

omg girls let's enjoy this while we can :) won't happen many times and certainly we wouldn't get any rest after :)

I agree it does my nut in!! I cant even help put the Xmas tree up without people saying 'ooo be careful' etc! Its not like i'm doing bungee jumping for gods sake!! Grrr!! Sorry rant over. lol. x

Thank you so much for the replies! It's great to know I'm not alone in the sensation. I do get the aspect of it where women can sit back and enjoy other people helping out with various things...but generally speaking, my ire is directed at the dumb comments, like that coworker telling you (Nicola83) not to bend down to turn the heater on or off, LOL.. just things you KNOW you can do and it's silly to think a pregnant woman can't!

Sweetness113, I do think if that were the case I'd probably feel a bit sulky about it personally as it is nice to have people care and want to help, I admit. It wouldn't be cool to have no one give an extra hand at all during that time. I just have a line between caring and being bossy like an adult to a kid, lol

Hey Bexbex999, I think I'll probably be struggling too by the time I'm that far along. I would definitely take up more offers of help then or ask for it if it weren't being offered. Maybe you can explain to your husband that the situation has changed now as you didn't expect to have such a hard time now you're so far along with things, and maybe he will start helping a bit :)

Thanks again for sharing. I know I should probably just let people fuss over me but I kinda bristle against that sort of thing now that I'm 32! I'm just used to being independent with my actions and being the boss myself, to my little son, lol :)

well the other day the light in my kitchen went and it tripped the electrics, all the lights went off and my OH was at work. It was gettin dark and he wasnt due back for a few hours, the kids were scared cus of the dark so i had to get a chair and climb up to the fuse box and reset the light swith on the box.
When OH came back i told him and he went absolutely mad at me! Said i shouldnt have climbed on a chair and how we shoulda waited till he came home!
Well maybe thats the case, i shouldnt have climbed but there are times when you have no choice but to do something when you have nobody around to help you.Never the less in this instance i accepted he was worried incase i fell but other times he drives me mad! he wont let me carry anything! not even one bag of shopping! he would rather struggle himself! i know its sweet of him but it makes me feel bad!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->