I'm so pysched that I just have to share!

AerisandAlex

Mommy to 3!!
Reaction score
Okay, I've been dealing with a lot lately so I've tried to focus my attention elsewhere and I feel like it paid off and I feel, fulfilled more or less!

My personal passions/obsessions are my family, Art and criminal case shows.

Basically, I love love love my babies and DH - I love all forms of art, particularly, CG, Landscapes and the human form and have drawn practically all my life - and I guess I have a bit of an obsession of watching criminal case shows, like Wicked Attraction, Snapped, Deadly Women, Disappeared, FBI Files, and then my favorite cop drama, Law & Order: SVU. My DH sometimes can't stand how much I watch those shows, I mean, I'm watching Disappeared right now... and when I'm done with the entire series, I watch it all over again. I love the investigating angle and I've always wanted to be a part of something like it... so then I was watching a Disappeared show and listened to a woman talk about the 'Doe Network' which apparently is a public website where anyone can go on and look at case information about real unsolved cases and unidentified people...

Well, I went on my own little mission and decided I wanted to try and 'find' someone, not physically go out in the wilderness but like, pull up someone who's already been found but not identified and then use the skills I was given at my previous job to search the internet for information that 'might' match. Well, one case really popped out at me, and I found they had recreations of the person's face that they found and I found pictures of this person who was missing and after like 4-5 hours of putting pictures together on photoshop (not altered of course lol) for comparison and then pulling up all the evidence between the missing person and the unidentified Doe and then with all the info I've learned through all my criminal shows, I was convinced this person was this unidentified person...

I actually felt a bit silly and didn't think I'd be taken seriously if I reported it on the Doe network or to the detective because I don't know person or the family personally and I live on the other side of the state and I don't have like college degrees, all I have is my own theory, but I went ahead and wrote my letters to them anyway and provided all the pictures and websites I found the information on and my own 'theory' about what happened...

And to my surprise, I got e-mails back from both the network and the detective wanting to call me, I am just so happy. I feel like I did some real good now and I hope, hope, hope I did some real good and found this person they've been looking for. But ahh!! I just couldn't keep it in and needed to shout it somewhere. I tried to tell DH but it was like I was telling him about another one my shows and he said 'Okay' and I was like 'Really?! I was hoping I was going to get a 'Cool' out you or something!' lol

I haven't felt this good in a long time, and honestly, if it turns out I was wrong, it'll be a bummer but I'll still be happy, to know they're even taking me seriously makes me feel really good about myself and more determined to continue doing stuff like this, yay!

Sorry for going on and on and on, I just needed to share lol

I'll let you girls know if it is was that person because they promised they'll let me know :)

that's quite exciting :) defiantly want to hear if you were right

That's a great use for some spare time! It sounds like you have an eye for faces and I really hope that you carry on doing this regardless of whether you found a match this time (although I hope it is a match :)). If nothing else it could prompt the detective in charge of the case to look at it again if it's a cold case. Although the families involved don't know what you're doing it's heartening for anyone looking for a missing loved one to think that other people care enough to try to help :) x

That's amazing, good work!!! I hope you've helped them solve it.

That is pretty cool! You HAVE to tell us what happens!! :thumbup:

Wow that's fab! Can't wait to hear what happens x

you should do a degree in criminology :D sounds right up your ally

Thanks girls :)
Yes I do have updates :)

I spoke with the detective handling the John Doe case, I couldn't really hold back that I was thrilled to even be taken seriously, although I feel for the family.
He said that I was his first lead in 2 years and that he took the photos I did and drove down to the family of the missing person who were living in D.C. and is pretty certain that this is the man as the family had agreed that it the facial reconstruction looked exactly like him. He told me that he collected DNA from the missing person's father and has already sent it back to the lab, along with a DNA sample they were able to recover from the John Doe for comparison and he said he'll call me as soon as it comes back.

So now I'm just hanging by the phone, waiting for the call. I hope they're quicker then other labs... the one who handled my father's death is actually STILL waiting for their lab results and it's been over two months since we lost him now... but the way this detective said he immediately went down to the family and collected the DNA the day he got my e-mail has me hopeful that his office is much faster. ^_^

I feel kind of bad that I feel 'happy' about helping to solve this case as I'm sure the family is not happy at all, I know I wouldn't be if I were in their shoes, so I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm down a bit... but regardless if it comes back a match or not, it sure has encouraged me to look at more Doe cases and has really given me a sense of purpose in life... besides raising my children of course :)

Wow! Don't forget to let us know!

It must be a great feeling knowing you've revived a case, even if it might not be correct (chances are high though right?!) well done :D

Oh wow, that's amazing! Well done you.

I know you feel bad for the family, that's understandable, but your time and what you have shown may be closure for the family, as upsetting as it may be. I know if it were me, I'd like to have closure and real answers rather than a lifetime of questions and not knowing what had happened/if he/she was still alive? If it turns out the be the man in question, the family can finally have closure and they can begin to grieve. :hugs:

Wow that's awesome! :). Although the family would of course be sad if it is their loved one there does come a point where all you want is closure, even if it means they're never coming home. They will be able to start to heal without constantly wondering whether he's being hurt somewhere :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->