I'm still learning..need advice

hans2009

Reaction score
My son is 10 days old and he's doing very well with it but we are still learning this breastfeeding thing together :)

My boobs are getting sore and I feel the need to pump. I pump and then he wakes up and wants to eat and I feel like he's having trouble getting milk out right after I pump, it takes him along time to finish and he doesn't seem satisfied. This has happened 3 times. I am sitting here, hurting but trying to wait because it's been almost 3 hours since he last nursed and I want to make sure he's satisfied when he's done.

Is it bad for me to let my boobs hurt or can this effect my supply? Any advice is welcome! And waking him doesn't work. He got my sleeping habits and it is impossible to wake him up. We went to a birthday party yesterday and not only was it loud but everyone was messing with him trying to wake him to eat (per doctors request) and it was a no go.

My son is 10 days old and he's doing very well with it but we are still learning this breastfeeding thing together :)

My boobs are getting sore and I feel the need to pump. I pump and then he wakes up and wants to eat and I feel like he's having trouble getting milk out right after I pump, it takes him along time to finish and he doesn't seem satisfied. This has happened 3 times. I am sitting here, hurting but trying to wait because it's been almost 3 hours since he last nursed and I want to make sure he's satisfied when he's done.

Is it bad for me to let my boobs hurt or can this effect my supply? Any advice is welcome! And waking him doesn't work. He got my sleeping habits and it is impossible to wake him up. We went to a birthday party yesterday and not only was it loud but everyone was messing with him trying to wake him to eat (per doctors request) and it was a no go.

I have a very sleepy little guy too and often have to wake him to feed. Changing his nappy usually annoys him enough to do it, and we also try blowing on his face whilst he's feeding and tickling his feet.

What I would do is have a warm shower and let some milk leak out.
Or hand express a small amount, to take the edge off.
Then baby will wake and you'll still have plenty to feed and you're body will adjust according to supply and demand. If you eexpress like you are you're going to keep your breasts making more and more.
Xx

Thank you!

Nothing we do wakes him. Changing him will make him restless but he falls right back asleep! Tickling his feet does nothing, messing with his chubby cheeks does nothing! I was the same way as a baby!

Thank you!

Nothing we do wakes him. Changing him will make him restless but he falls right back asleep! Tickling his feet does nothing, messing with his chubby cheeks does nothing! I was the same way as a baby!

That kind of makes me feel better - I'm not the only one with a sleepy head!

Like pp said - take the edge off but don't properly pump or you'll make yourself MORE uncomfortable as your breasts increase your supply. In terms of feeling bad about LO having trouble, he will just be having to work harder to get his milk but if he stays there and is able to sleep after (which it sounds like he does) then he isn't going hungry!

Your supply will start to regulate somewhere between 6weeks and 12 weeks and after that you wont feel engorged or in pain.

When my LO had jaundice and so would sleep when he should be feeding we were told to take off his clothes, change his nappy and then when he is feeding whenever he stops nudge under his chin (pushing upwards) fairly strongly and that seemed to work reasonably well.

Forgot to add - young babies LOOOOVE to sleep during noisy parties, it is lulling for them!

When he seems unsatisfied after feeds have you been syringe feeding him the milk you have expressed. This is an option but tbh I don't know a newborn who seems satisfied after feeding, especially as wind gives the same symptoms as hunger!

I agree to totally undressing him changing his nappy and keeping his clothes off while he feeds to keep him awake to feed more regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->