I'm sure many of you have been through this...

LullabyLover

Reaction score
From the second we announced that we are expecting a girl, everyone asks us what her name will be. Mostly it is people who really don't know us very well which is so weird. We're not telling our families the name we have picked until she is born, I'm definitely not telling people who are nearly strangers. We really don't want anyone's opinion on her name so we're just not telling them.

We pull out the line "No we haven't decided, we'll figure it out when she's born". It's a complete lie but it's the only way we get out of the awkwardness. I have never asked anyone who was pregnant what their child was going to be called unless they've offered the information up.

Do you find it rude?

I never used to find it rude if they asked if we had a name, but what I used to find rude was them giving an opinion on the name, especially if its definitely the name you've chosen. Different if you had asked for their opinion on the name.

People tend to ask really invasive questions when they find out you're pregnant. Already I've had random co-workers ask if it was planned (yes), how old I am (26), if I will have my baby circumcised if it's a boy (don't know), names (not telling you, random person in the store), etc. It's weird, I think it's because almost everyone has a personal pregnancy story or experience they feel they MUST share. Oh, you're pregnant? I was once too! Let me ask you super personal questions cuz we share this special bond!

The name questions is definitely not the worst, but when they push and make suggestions? Ugg.

No I don't find it rude, I think it's just genuine curiosity. I don't think when they are they are trying to be offensive or nosy it's just that having a baby is exciting and people love asking all about the baby in general. If you don't want to tell anyone then just tell them you're not sharing the name until the baby is born - no reason to lie.

what i find even more rude was people jabbing me in my bump with there long nails in a stabbing motion (strangely always women who you would assume would know better)

my partner is a musician so I traveled to a lot of gigs with him and there was always at least one drunk girl who felt the need to poke me in the bump (almost as bad as the shameless groupie that try flirting with you OH while you stand there next to him clearly 6 months pregnant - jog on love lol)

I don't think it's rude when people ask about the name, they are curious and excited.
When people ask me, which They do all the time, I'm
Just honest - we aren't telling anyone the name until she's born, if they ask why I say because that's what we want to do.

Easy. They can wait - I found being honest is the best way to go. I tell them we had our name picked before we got bfp too.

I find it rude if they get upset but then again, you can't control others behavior.

I don't think it's rude either, it's curiosity and excitement, especially if you've told them the sex; I think a lot of people then expect to be told the name as you've found out so will have decided.

We stayed team yellow and had people asking about boys and girls names; we'd decided on boys but not girls as I was convinced I was having a boy... We just told them we were keeping it all a secret

Xx

I see at as just the standard set of questions -
When are you due?
How are you feeling?
Are you finding out the sex?
Any names yet?

It's people showing an interest. I didn't tell anyone our names either though, I didn't want the comments.

I liked people asking questions like about the name/ sex of baby/ due date etc when I was pregnant. I loved talking about it and people sharing in the excitement. Didn't ever think people were being rude just that they were interested. When asked about the name I'd picked I'd say we've chosen one but keeping it as a surprise :0)

I don't think it's rude to ask - but sometimes the reaction can be! Then again, I've heard some awful names and stumbled on a response, which I guess they could have picked up on. I now just say "aw, that's lovely" every time.

Personally, I find the apparent free invite to start poking my bump the main rude thing when pregnant. I hate it. I'm not talking family (they haven't unless I've invited them to when talking about movement etc) but colleagues and strangers. I had to say something to one colleague in the end as she was doing it nearly every day and I prefer to keep it to those close to share, especially DH as they aren't involved in the same way we are. It's not the same if any old person can do it.

I definitely wouldn't consider it rude as I myself ask if I know someone pregnant but more out of curiosity than anything. I don't consider it rude but I also wouldn't be offended if they told me they were keeping it a surprise :)

Not rude - but you are wise to keep it to yourselves. i learned a lesson never to tell a name again after a friend used the name i told her we'd picked for her baby.....as it happened I'm not having a boy so it doesn't matter now but I'd think twice before being so open in the future.

I don't think asking is rude, but anything other than a positive response is rude.

No matter what someone says their baby's name is, I always respond that it is so beautiful. That's the only appropriate response when someone shares their baby's future name with you.

I'm one of those people who might ask this question, but if I ask, its only out of curiosity or just trying to make conversation. I'm not a blunt person, so even when told a name I don't like I just smile and say something nice. I'd never dream of telling anyone I didn't like their baby's name.

We kept our names secret both times (apart from one lady at a wedding who OH told DD1's likely name to when he had had too much to drink, she gave a very negative, and frankly stupid, response).

I do ask other people though! It's not rude, just showing an interest in their pregnancy. Agree with MrsPoodle, it's one of the kind of "standard set" of questions. I wouldn't ever say something negative if they told me their name.

Oh yeah I got a horrible response the other day when someone asked me what names we'd chosen - the person actually has 3 kids and their name choices are certainly not to my taste but I would never be so rude as to turn my nose up the way they did.

Names are a personal choice & the name we chose has a special meaning because it's after my grandmother so I was particually put out by their response.

Im only 8 weeks pregnant and have people asking me the names of my babies "having twins"
but as I don't know the sexs nor do I want to know I wont be telling anyone.
It's a special time and especially if I choose names and then when bubs' are born I dont like the names people will have bought etc.

Each to their own I suppose

2x:yellow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"