Impossible job interview questions, please help!

emyandpotato

Reaction score
I'm trying to fill in a job application online but I have been struggling for over a week now with two questions. They are:

Please think of a problem you have faced, within a workplace or extra-curricular setting, where the conventional or existing approach was not suitable. Please outline this and explain what process you went through to create your new approach. (please limit to 150 words)

Please give an example where you have used creative means to successfully communicate an important or complex message to others. (Please limit to 150 words)

But I just don't know! I feel like giving up but I really want this job. I am even willing to make something up at this point. Just don't have a clue :cry:

What do you do?? You're allowed to go extra-curricular as well so it doesn't have to be work I guess.

What's a problem you've solved at work or at home in the last 6 months or so?

What jobs have you had so far?

Got a feeling it is fashion related?! (I might have made that up). Ever had to work with someone colour blind or with disabilities?

The creative means isn't so bad. Can't you use your wedding invites that you designed?? Very creative and an important communication.

I literally feel like I have solved no problems!! Nothing relevant anyway. I don't think talking about my home life is appropriate as I have already mentioned Rory once, and I don't work, I'm at uni. This is a job for gained work experience for people wanting to go in to teaching. And yet they ask for teaching experience. It feels impossible. I have done freelance writing but the only problem with that was trying to make up themes for collections when covering fashion week shows. I really don't feel that they want to hear about how I linked a crappy Topshop collection to the visual distinction of gay men, by gay men, in the 60s.... :dohh:

What jobs have you had so far?

Got a feeling it is fashion related?! (I might have made that up). Ever had to work with someone colour blind or with disabilities?

The creative means isn't so bad. Can't you use your wedding invites that you designed?? Very creative and an important communication.

I have worked in a shop, at a Chinese takeaway (mentioned that already), at a pub, as a mum, and as a writer. Hardly broad, but I've just turned 23 and still at uni/ a SAHM.

Extra curriculars (sp?!) include experience at Heinz as a product developer, experience working with an interior designer, degree, foundation degree, school experiences (though I can think of nothing relevant)...

It's not fashion related, no. I'd have an easier time if it was! Nope not worked with anyone with disabilities. I have worked in situations with language barriers but mentioned that already.

Thanks hun but I'm not sure anything weddingy is relevant. I don't want to look shallow and I feel they'd see it that way.

As pp said whats job for. The first question is just asking for an example of taking innititive in a job or outside where the normal route would not work. For example i was a teacher so it could be i had set up an activity for children outside but rained, how would i solve problem of lesson plan not working. So i would have a plan of what to do, or an example i had of needing to communicate with a parent over childs progress but parent spoke little english.
The second question is how you can explain things in leyman terms. This is just where you simplyfy things so that a person who doesent understand something complicated by simplyfying it. It could mean relating things to something person understands

As pp said whats job for. The first question is just asking for an example of taking innititive in a job or outside where the normal route would not work. For example i was a teacher so it could be i had set up an activity for children outside but rained, how would i solve problem of lesson plan not working. So i would have a plan of what to do, or an example i had of needing to communicate with a parent over childs progress but parent spoke little english.
The second question is how you can explain things in leyman terms. This is just where you simplyfy things so that a person who doesent understand something complicated by simplyfying it. It could mean relating things to something person understands

Thank you, that really helps. Gosh I feel stupid now, I was totally overcomplicating it.

I hate questions like these. People trying to sound more intelligent rather than asking question simply. Dont worry if you have mentioned things before, dealing with language barrier is a good one, could be dealing with customer complaint, your writing work shows creativty and can be perfect to show how you have presented something to help relate the fashion to history which many could not understand origin of certain styles. You related it with something relevent to the reader so they were able to understand the deeper concept. Dont do yourself down. In teaching interviews and work with children they will ask you hyperthetical situations of what you would do. They will more want to see your process

My dh was saying other day that with someone he tutors he relates history to football as thats what works for him. Its about the making it relavent which sounds like you did with your article

Thank you, I think I've got it! For the unconventional approach one I've just talked about working with a little boy with ADHD and how the focus sometimes couldn't even be on learning, but just on keeping him from disturbing others and how we'd do this with games etc. Then on how he needed his maths problems adapted to silly and gross things for him to keep an interest. Also briefly mentioned learning sign language for Rory.

For the other I've just spoken about how at uni it's common for there to be a cultural barrier that stops people from understanding the 'whys' of religion and certain ways that I've tried to scrap pre-existing ideas and start afresh. I don't know if they'll be happy about an academic setting as basis for my answer but I'm a little past caring.

They sound good. At the end of day they have to expect you may use academic setting as well as many wont have the chance to be in long term teaching environment where they are able to show those things. I did voluntary work in school and then worked in nursery while doing my early years proffesional status so had a small amount. I got asked same questions on eyps course and only had voluntary work to relate on. As i said before they want to see the process and see that you have the skill and innititive to solve problems rather than breaking down when something does not go perfectly. I had scribbles on lesson plans of stuff needed to do to change to fisilitate learning when something hadent gone perfectly. It could be a certain child did not understand a concept or that i needed to extend learning as children had grasped concept quickly therefore changing my planning for next day. I think they want to see the ability to be flexable and to be a good leader

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->