In-Laws debt really getting me down and worried..

hawalkden

Reaction score
In-laws have always been in debt running away from bailiffs or getting rid of items and telling their two children lies and excuses for the real reason they don't have a telly or furniture. Also FIL always rides a motorbike and he never gave this up. He's very selfish thats another thread.

At the moment they are currently in debt with a car (MIL drives the car), water bill (sorry but how the hell do you get your water bill which is what £12-20 a month in my area to £1400 that's with all the court fees and add ons. They 'ignore' all bills)., a loan from a bank of £4000+fees and court fees again. And many other debts. I honestly think all their bills are debted.

So the reason for this thread. For help and just a mini relief is because we're house/cat sitting their place at the moment and we're moving house so I'm sorting mail out (got millions) and OH put some of our opened pile with his parents opened pile then whilst looking for his watch under all the pile :dough: dropped all the paperwork and just got it together and left it on the side meaning me knowing what I know now and writing about it.

So I came to sort it the other day and whilst going though it I came across a debtagency letter headed but I was focused on the address just to put in the two right piles. The letter head made me stop a moment and made me look and when I read the letter it was addressed to FIL and said due to unpaid outstanding debt/bill of £5900 bailiffs will be within the property within the next 14days. I looked at the dated date and it said 1/6/11. so meaning the week coming the bailiffs will be coming. Which is when they are away and I'm in the house with LO on my own all day.

I stopped what I was doing and went to OH straight away and just showed him the letter. He said why you being noisy I mentioned the watch and sorting the mail what he knocked over and even if I was being noisy this isn't a funny issue what the hell we going to do we'll be in the house well I will be in the house on my own when they come. I know they can come anytime. When he finished reading the letter he said it's not a 'warning' it's actually going to happen.

So what do I do? I can't say no don't take this that or that? Do I take all mine, OH and LO's items back to our house and just sit in all day with very very little for LO for what he needs like three nappies and just enough food just in case they take that too due to what's in their house isn't worth £4000-5000 everything is hand me downs and hardly working.

Sorry again for long post but needed all the info out. I need advice on what to do etc? Do we phone them now and say sorry found the letter you should have told us and you shouldnt be in Cornwall with your daughter and family for two weeks these two weeks anyway when you can so called afford a holiday. Or do we wait for them to come and take the stuff then phone and acted all shocked and scared??

That's a bit of a pickle sweetie and I'm not sure what to advise you.. I do know I wouldn't be prepared to be sat at my inlaws home while bailiffs arrive.. And NONE of my things would be in the house at the time.

If I were you i wouldn't be in to be honest... Sounds harsh but it's not your fault! x

In-laws have always been in debt running away from bailiffs or getting rid of items and telling their two children lies and excuses for the real reason they don't have a telly or furniture. Also FIL always rides a motorbike and he never gave this up. He's very selfish thats another thread.

At the moment they are currently in debt with a car (MIL drives the car), water bill (sorry but how the hell do you get your water bill which is what £12-20 a month in my area to £1400 that's with all the court fees and add ons. They 'ignore' all bills)., a loan from a bank of £4000+fees and court fees again. And many other debts. I honestly think all their bills are debted.

So the reason for this thread. For help and just a mini relief is because we're house/cat sitting their place at the moment and we're moving house so I'm sorting mail out (got millions) and OH put some of our opened pile with his parents opened pile then whilst looking for his watch under all the pile :dough: dropped all the paperwork and just got it together and left it on the side meaning me knowing what I know now and writing about it.

So I came to sort it the other day and whilst going though it I came across a debtagency letter headed but I was focused on the address just to put in the two right piles. The letter head made me stop a moment and made me look and when I read the letter it was addressed to FIL and said due to unpaid outstanding debt/bill of £5900 bailiffs will be within the property within the next 14days. I looked at the dated date and it said 1/6/11. so meaning the week coming the bailiffs will be coming. Which is when they are away and I'm in the house with LO on my own all day.

I stopped what I was doing and went to OH straight away and just showed him the letter. He said why you being noisy I mentioned the watch and sorting the mail what he knocked over and even if I was being noisy this isn't a funny issue what the hell we going to do we'll be in the house well I will be in the house on my own when they come. I know they can come anytime. When he finished reading the letter he said it's not a 'warning' it's actually going to happen.

So what do I do? I can't say no don't take this that or that? Do I take all mine, OH and LO's items back to our house and just sit in all day with very very little for LO for what he needs like three nappies and just enough food just in case they take that too due to what's in their house isn't worth £4000-5000 everything is hand me downs and hardly working.

Sorry again for long post but needed all the info out. I need advice on what to do etc? Do we phone them now and say sorry found the letter you should have told us and you shouldnt be in Cornwall with your daughter and family for two weeks these two weeks anyway when you can so called afford a holiday. Or do we wait for them to come and take the stuff then phone and acted all shocked and scared??

I actually have no idea what to say? but they're not legally allowed to take anything that belongs to you OH and LO.. but i dont honestly know how they go about know the things are yours.. and id be one of them people that would let them turn up.. and then phone and act really shocked..
not much help. but didnt wanna read and run.

Ahh didn't think about going back to ours, feed the cat be in when OH is home and when alone be at ours :dohh:. Looks like I'll be doing that then!

I am not even sure if the Bailiff's can do anything if your in laws aren't there. They certainly cannot take anything that doesn't belong to your in laws and if they do take anything your inl laws have to sign a form to say what they are taking belongs to them.

If it's a first visit they are unlikely to take anything as they will be more interested in recovering the debt as easily as possible, which doesn't involve taking belongings and having to sell them. What they would do is make a list of what comes to the value in the house and then your in laws would have to sign soemthign to say that if they don't agree a payment plan and keep up with payments, then the bailiffs will come back and take those things to the value of the debt.

However, as I say, I think your in laws would need to be there.

It's not really any of your business what your in laws do, so I certainly wouldn't be telling them they can't afford to go on holiday, even fi they can't. However, you could ring the bailiff company/company the money is owed to and although they won't discuss accounts with you, you could discuss in general terms what happens in this situation.

I really don't think they can do anything without your in laws being present (with the exception of taking a car they believe to belong to them from outside the house) I believe its actually quite a long process for them to gain access into the property, they have to have police present, only a certain type of bailiff can break into a property (usually only for court fines) so if these are bailiffs for general stuff there is very little they can do unless they gain peaceful access to the property. They certainly cant take any items that belong to you, OH or Isaac. I know this cos we had a visit with a bailiff once :blush: for a 4 year old OH's council tax bill from before me and OH were together. So OH is very nosey and had a good old chinwag with him about how it all works as we were writing a cheque out.

I would answer the door, tell them your in laws aren't in and that you are house sitting and give them a mobile contact number for them. If you feel intimidated tell them you will call the police. Either that or just not be in :thumbup:

Convenient that the week they are visiting is the week your in laws are away though, timed that well didn't they!:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->