• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Inappropriate Facebook sharing?

My friends can share whatever they like to be fair. If they cant share with friends, then what do they do? Might not be the kind of thing I want to share but I wont judge others for it

Facebook is as private or public as the user makes it.

I do agree with share what you want. If a person want to share stuff I don't appreciate (friends with different political stance) I will just hide the status update

I feel like a bit of an oversharer sometimes. People have made comments recently about the things I say on Facebook (in particular, troubles with FOB). I just think, I share the good times so why not share the bad too? Not just for moral support (which I've found time over on there from people I wouldn't normally confide in), but it really irritates me when people try to portray themselves as living the perfect life, when they're clearly not :lol:
I wouldn't dare put stuff other people do though. I've got people who openly talk shit about their families, OHs, kids, it's awful! If a situation is that bad at home then slagging them all off where they (and other friends/family) can see is certainly not going to help!

It's a shame people are still getting berated for talking openly about depression. As others say it's an illness as any other.

I try to keep FB statuses light-hearted and drama-free for the most part, although if a friend posted about depression I would be proud if them for seeking help and making the condition known.

On the other hand, I am FB friends with a family friend of my OH. She has a supposed stomach condition (I say supposed because the details regarding her diagnosis vary depending on who you ask). She posts about vomiting and other issues about 5 times a day, everyday (including "checking in" to a restaurant only to comment that she vomited there). At that point I feel it's attention-seeking, which drives me crazy. I feel as though keeping a tally on FB of how many times you vomited that day is oversharing.

Lol rant/tangent over.

Yeah, Facebook opens a lot of doors to the attention seekers, lol. What sad lives they lead.

Oh I agree...there is definitely the attention seekers. I have one who loves to go on and on about her miserable life, but then scolds people for not being thankful for their good lives:wacko:

I went through some things in life that are personal and I would never share on FB. But, no one should be criticized for WHAT they are sharing so long as it is theirs for sharing. This was her way of reaching out, maybe in a very dark moment. No one bats an eye when a post says "sick with the flu", but "in bed with depression" springs people into action that it is too personal.

But...the people who go on and on about their medical issues...puleeeeze...enough already. I have this one lady who blogs her everyday illnesses. Seriously.

That's what irritates me about this one particular person. Apparently she has always been the type to use any physical/mental ailment as a way to gain sympathy and demonstrate her "strength" in combating whatever the current issue is (which supposedly isn't always as severe or factual as she portrays it to be to those on FB). She goes to the ER a few times a month for various reasons, and will update from the waiting room, hospital room, etc., along with updating every half hour with her blood pressure reading and other "new developments". Also included are the hospital bed selfies with captions about how awful she feels. They never admit her, and then it's long comment threads with others about how negligent every doctor must be then. To be honest, I am really beginning to believe (along with others) that she has Munchausen Syndrome and uses FB as an arena to get the support and reassurance she needs to boost her up. Very odd.

I try to keep FB statuses light-hearted and drama-free for the most part, although if a friend posted about depression I would be proud if them for seeking help and making the condition known.

On the other hand, I am FB friends with a family friend of my OH. She has a supposed stomach condition (I say supposed because the details regarding her diagnosis vary depending on who you ask). She posts about vomiting and other issues about 5 times a day, everyday (including "checking in" to a restaurant only to comment that she vomited there). At that point I feel it's attention-seeking, which drives me crazy. I feel as though keeping a tally on FB of how many times you vomited that day is oversharing.

Lol rant/tangent over.

Yeah, Facebook opens a lot of doors to the attention seekers, lol. What sad lives they lead.

Oh I agree...there is definitely the attention seekers. I have one who loves to go on and on about her miserable life, but then scolds people for not being thankful for their good lives:wacko:

I went through some things in life that are personal and I would never share on FB. But, no one should be criticized for WHAT they are sharing so long as it is theirs for sharing. This was her way of reaching out, maybe in a very dark moment. No one bats an eye when a post says "sick with the flu", but "in bed with depression" springs people into action that it is too personal.

But...the people who go on and on about their medical issues...puleeeeze...enough already. I have this one lady who blogs her everyday illnesses. Seriously.

That's what irritates me about this one particular person. Apparently she has always been the type to use any physical/mental ailment as a way to gain sympathy and demonstrate her "strength" in combating whatever the current issue is (which supposedly isn't always as severe or factual as she portrays it to be to those on FB). She goes to the ER a few times a month for various reasons, and will update from the waiting room, hospital room, etc., along with updating every half hour with her blood pressure reading and other "new developments". Also included are the hospital bed selfies with captions about how awful she feels. They never admit her, and then it's long comment threads with others about how negligent every doctor must be then. To be honest, I am really beginning to believe (along with others) that she has Munchausen Syndrome and uses FB as an arena to get the support and reassurance she needs to boost her up. Very odd.

Geez....could be!

Anything and everything that has been on STFU Parents blog lol.

Not over share but a HUGE pet peeve: the "I'm so depressed" and when you ask about what you get the "I don't want to talk about it" :dohh:

Not over share but a HUGE pet peeve: the "I'm so depressed" and when you ask about what you get the "I don't want to talk about it" :dohh:

My pet peev is 'Im so pissed off right now' ect then say nothing more about the situation... Or when someone says "hope your ok" they reply with 'ill inbox you' !!!

If your gonna make a bold statement that your pissed off at least tell us why! Sends me into a frenzy!!!

My pet peev is 'Im so pissed off right now' ect then say nothing more about the situation... Or when someone says "hope your ok" they reply with 'ill inbox you' !!!

If your gonna make a bold statement that your pissed off at least tell us why! Sends me into a frenzy!!!

This, so much! It's my number one Facebook pet peeve!!

I don't think depression is any thing to be ashamed of however I would not have shared it on facebook when I was going through it myself. To be honest the ones that irritate me are the people who write a leading status such as 'urgh I hate my life' and then wait for the people to say whats wrong, if you want to share, share by all means but the manipulating people to say oh gosh whats wrong, though even that if you want to do it fine. I know people who do the talking to partner on statuses while sitting next to each other. I don't share much, its usually positive I do and maybe once every couple of months and a few photos. If I need support I would rather keep it private but then as they say I don't like airing dirty washing in public. If that's the way you get support then fine. It amazes me how many people seem to be sick every week though

Oh I hate leading status! I always ignore them.

I personally think personal things should remain personal although I do feel sorry for people if I see sad posts and can see that they need support BUT, I really hate seeing arguments/people being abusive towards each other on FB and it's the main reason I've removed people from mine, if people have a problem they should resolve it amongst themselves instead of turning into a performance for all to see! it's just nasty and horrible to witness. Over half of my friends on there are family who live abroad so I post quite a lot about lo but it's the only way they can be involved in our daily lives and it makes them happy.

I thought of this thread yesterday when a friend wrote on her facebook that it was her 'time of the month'.

:rofl: ok maybe there are some things you just don't :rofl:

I have a friend who shares time of month as well, that i just dont get

Another Facebook pet peeve even though I know it's their right but it gets exhausting very fast are the political Facebookers. The ones that constantly and I mean constantly post about politics which never fails to intertwine with welfare bashing posts that are usually posted by comfortable middle class folk who never struggled. My uncle is one of these people.

As the meme I once saw said "I changed my political view thanks to a Facebook post,said no one ever."

Ive had to delete someone from facebook and twitter because she is such an attention seeker. Shes a really nice girl too but it just got to the point were she craved too much attention

Honestly I think people can post what they like on Facebook, if I don't want.to read it I just scroll away, however I must admit one thing I'm noticing quite a lot recently which is getting old fast is joke pregnancy announcements. I don't get why people do that, and the family always comment, upset that they have found out over Facebook to which the poster will respond "it's a joke lol".

I know a few people who complain about people posting about their kids or pictures of their babies (ie "Bobby just cut his first tooth!" Etc) which I can't understand at all, what's wrong with that? Especially as one of these people has a baby and I find it far more disturbing that she never mentions her child :s

I once friended a girl who was friends of friends. She was the sort that posted everything on fb.. She would show anger quite a lot and post inappropriate comments and some that were quite insulting. She also regurally talked about the fall out between her and her sil. She would post about how hard done by she was and then start an argue meant with someone over fb about it. Something always going on.
Now I'm the first to admit I can b nosy.. And IMO if u t going to post stuff like that on fb or argue on fb be prepared for stalkers.. Coz hey u obviously feel comfortable putting this in the public domain. And well another argue member with her and someone her sil knows (it was never the sil) and I read it all but accidentally liked one of the posts..oops!
She de friended me after that and started going on about how I spy on her...

Meh.. Quite a few people I know how deleted her because of what she pots on fb and I don't really see her. What she would put up I would class as inappropriate. I don't feel comfortable putting anything personal like that on fb.. I don't like washing my dirty linen in public.

Also my bros gf regurally posts about their arguements on fb.. She has added us all as friends and has sometimes unfairly slagged him off over fb. He has tried getting her to stop but she never does. He never says anything on fb and neither do we. I can understand why he wouldn't say anything on fb tho..

I've got a few friends that definitely (IMO) overshare. I've hidden them from my newsfeed so unless I think of them and go to their page I don't see their stuff. I also tend to not comment on anything that I feel is an overshare.

That being said, I'm sure I've overshared on my FB page. I'm kinda of the opinion that if you don't like it, keep scrolling, hide me or delete me. :haha:

Child shaming pictures and status about how you "disciplined" your child to the point of gloating about it. I seen one today of someone hit their child so hard their hand hurt. This is a disgusting way to treat your own flesh and blood. Lucky no ones done it on my friends list but I have seen it from friends who have friends who do it.

Another is relationship fights, pass aggressive status to each other. Or any pass agg status, just say it to the person or not at all.

family rows, all this and relationships should be kept off as people know people and will talk and its not very loyal. Even if your partner has been a knob that day.

things about school kids and patients if you are a school teacher or work in a medical profession. That stuff should not be shared its confidential.

I dont mind peoples problems though, I will normally jump in and help, back up etc except on pass agg boyfriend girlfriend stuff, you are safer out of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->