Incompetent Cervix - stitch/cerclage - threatened labour

Thanks hun, thats what the consultant said. They dont think its IC because when I went in with Luke, they were able to stop my labour for a week and I KNEW that I was in labour iykwim...xx

Hello all,

27 weeks today....yippeeeee! Had a bit of a blip yesterday and made a trip to the hospital but they monitored the baby for a couple of hours and all ok.

Another week to go and we see the consultant and we can see where we go from there.

I hope everyone else is OK and holding on in there.

Mx

Hi everyone..has been great to read others who are dealing with or dealt with what I am going though..I really need support as sitting here at home all day is so emotional..not to mention not having friends and family around makes it all the worse..but hu
bby and sister is here and they are very ssupportive.

I went in for my normal scan at 21 wks. Everything was great until they said that my cervix looked to be a little open. A vaginal scan measured me to be at 15mm ( I think..was all so fuzzy around that time)
I was sent to emergency surgery to have a stitch put in the next morning...
Doctor said it went well and I could go on as normal just take it easy..he also gave us the okay to go on our planned holiday...a 5 day cruise. I had a look at my white notes and it said cervix funneling at 1.5cm and polply outside of cervix (he even drew a little picture :shrug:)
Everything seemed fine..was hard to go to the loo..due to the catheder I think...and also I had a bit of bleeding...called doctor and he assured me that it was because I have a polyp sitting on my cervix and it is aggrivated..said it should stop in a few days..I didnt have alot of pain but when I walked for too long or too fast I got really tired and had cramps..I then decided to only walk a little and have frequent naps or just lie downs..Doctor didnt say I needed bedrest but I felt like I might ahve been doing too much. The last two days of the holiday I felt great and just took it easy..walking around more and having a great time. I didnt think anything else..as the bleeding stopped and I was feeling fine..I also had started using the progestrone inserts every evening and was hoping that they were helping but wasnt sure what they were doing anyway.
When we returned home I felt very tired and didnt do much but the following day we went for a movie and dinner and thats when things started feeling weired..this was two days ago..
After the movie I felt cramps and called a friend (who is a GP) he said that I should be on bedrest or doing as little as possiable..and my doctor should have put me on atleast minimum bedrest for two weeks after stitch put in...
So since then I have been on the lounge with my legs up over two pillows..I have gotten up for as long as 15 mins or so..and to go to the loo or for a shower...
Im not sure if I have contractions becasue I dont know what that feels like but I do have these cramps that sort of come and go so I started recording them just in case they are actaully contractions. Yesterday they seemed to happen about every half hour and last about 5 mins. I had them in the morning for a few hours then again at night..so it wasnt all day long ..now today I have just a mild pain in my hips..but none of the abdomin cramps that I had yesterday..I dont know if it is because I am doing nothing and that is helping... The pains yesterday were quite painful..and we said if they went though the night or here again today we would go to hospital..The pains were in my abdomin and down below sort of..I also felt pressure down bellow in my whooha and bum area..but today I dont feel this..
I am also worried because baby is very very active..which I love but sometiems when she kicks/moves it hurts down below..I dont know if that means she is kicking my stitch..or if this is even a normal pregnancy symptom..It feels like she is kicking my whooha and the inside of my bum (sorry TMI)...but its sort of intense..its only when she really gets to moving and kicking..other times its sort of just intense feelings but not really pain sort of say.
Anyway sorry for the long post ..but just wanted to put my story and issues out there for anyone who could help me ...support ..or send me a message if you want..
Im so worried as the stitch was put in over a week ago..I am now 22w 3d...and hubby has just started showing signs of worries about loosing our baby girl. Ive been trying not to show my worry to be strong and i knwo he is doing the same..but its just really hard to keep it together this early on...We have our follow up on thursday which she will be 23 weeks.

ps hope my rambels make sense:cry:

Ok hun, first thing - get off your feet completely and stay there. It is crucial that you rest for the remainder of your pregnancy, your body and cervix is telling you to and you shouldn't ignore these cramps and feelings of pressure. Having the stitch placed does cause these symptoms, but all the more reason to rest after having it - your body needs time to settle after all it has been thru.

I was never officially told to rest any more than any other lady pregnant with twins, but the weird sensations, pressure and tightenings I had made me too nervous to move around. As in your case it may have been ok if I hadn't rested, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

At 1.5cms with funelling, it is clear your cervix was struggling under the pressure of your growing uterus, but it hadn't fully dilated or the membranes bulged like with me, so there is every chance that things may be ok for you hun. Please please rest from now, drink atleast a glass of water every hour and take care - keep us posted my darlin', I really would like to help if I can. Docs are great, but this isn't their baby so you need to be listening to your own body and acting accordingly xxx

thanks so much for your comment..I have been just resting on the lounge...only got up today to make myself lunch and have a shower...which was about 15 mins in total..today I feel so much better than yesterday...no cramps..only minimal pains in my hips and stomach but nothing like what I was speaking of before..thanks for your advice and I am going to just keep resting. You are right ..the doctor never told me to go on bedrest but I made the decision to do it myself and I am glad I have done so because I feel so much better already! Will keep you updated!

Hi everyone..has been great to read others who are dealing with or dealt with what I am going though..I really need support as sitting here at home all day is so emotional..not to mention not having friends and family around makes it all the worse..but hubby and sister is here and they are very ssupportive.

I went in for my normal scan at 21 wks. Everything was great until they said that my cervix looked to be a little open. A vaginal scan measured me to be at 15mm ( I think..was all so fuzzy around that time)
I was sent to emergency surgery to have a stitch put in the next morning...
Doctor said it went well and I could go on as normal just take it easy..he also gave us the okay to go on our planned holiday...a 5 day cruise. I had a look at my white notes and it said cervix funneling at 1.5cm and polply outside of cervix (he even drew a little picture :shrug:)
Everything seemed fine..was hard to go to the loo..due to the catheder I think...and also I had a bit of bleeding...called doctor and he assured me that it was because I have a polyp sitting on my cervix and it is aggrivated..said it should stop in a few days..I didnt have alot of pain but when I walked for too long or too fast I got really tired and had cramps..I then decided to only walk a little and have frequent naps or just lie downs..Doctor didnt say I needed bedrest but I felt like I might ahve been doing too much. The last two days of the holiday I felt great and just took it easy..walking around more and having a great time. I didnt think anything else..as the bleeding stopped and I was feeling fine..I also had started using the progestrone inserts every evening and was hoping that they were helping but wasnt sure what they were doing anyway.
When we returned home I felt very tired and didnt do much but the following day we went for a movie and dinner and thats when things started feeling weired..this was two days ago..
After the movie I felt cramps and called a friend (who is a GP) he said that I should be on bedrest or doing as little as possiable..and my doctor should have put me on atleast minimum bedrest for two weeks after stitch put in...
So since then I have been on the lounge with my legs up over two pillows..I have gotten up for as long as 15 mins or so..and to go to the loo or for a shower...
Im not sure if I have contractions becasue I dont know what that feels like but I do have these cramps that sort of come and go so I started recording them just in case they are actaully contractions. Yesterday they seemed to happen about every half hour and last about 5 mins. I had them in the morning for a few hours then again at night..so it wasnt all day long ..now today I have just a mild pain in my hips..but none of the abdomin cramps that I had yesterday..I dont know if it is because I am doing nothing and that is helping... The pains yesterday were quite painful..and we said if they went though the night or here again today we would go to hospital..The pains were in my abdomin and down below sort of..I also felt pressure down bellow in my whooha and bum area..but today I dont feel this..
I am also worried because baby is very very active..which I love but sometiems when she kicks/moves it hurts down below..I dont know if that means she is kicking my stitch..or if this is even a normal pregnancy symptom..It feels like she is kicking my whooha and the inside of my bum (sorry TMI)...but its sort of intense..its only when she really gets to moving and kicking..other times its sort of just intense feelings but not really pain sort of say.
Anyway sorry for the long post ..but just wanted to put my story and issues out there for anyone who could help me ...support ..or send me a message if you want..
Im so worried as the stitch was put in over a week ago..I am now 22w 3d...and hubby has just started showing signs of worries about loosing our baby girl. Ive been trying not to show my worry to be strong and i knwo he is doing the same..but its just really hard to keep it together this early on...We have our follow up on thursday which she will be 23 weeks.

ps hope my rambels make sense:cry:

Dear JessaBella,

First of all, I hope you and bump are both ok and resting up in bed! You'll have read above that I've just been through a very similar experience to you. I had my stitch at 23 weeks and am now just passed 27 weeks.

Lizzie is right, listen to what your body tells you and rest up as much as you can. I felt great pressure etc for the first 3 weeks really and was still shuffling about even just a few days ago. Also I have had similar cramps, just last Thurs they happened again out the blue and I too timed them just in case. On Friday altho cramps were gone I had same kicking down below that really felt like the baby was dangerously low down so we went off to hospital to check.

They checked and stitches and vaginal walls were all ok, baby also fine and still in the right pLace.

It turns out that the heavy pressure and low down feeling were caused by chronic constipation (sorry if tminfo!!) and that basically i has faecal impaction. I suffered terribly before I was pregnant and was on permanent meds but I hoped that with the pregnancy it might just kick start my bowel into working.

The progesterone pessaries they give us also contribute to constipation and you may well find you are in similar position to me, its also why I felt the babys kicks so way down as the pressure of the baby on our cervix and the kicking was making the faecal impaction even worse.

You may want to ask your doctor or consultant for something to clear you out, I cannot tell you how much it has changed how I now feel. I obviously can't recommend medication for you but they agreed that I could take Macrogol (stool softener that is taken in sachet dissolved in water). Although its not recommended in pregnancy normally, in situations like this it is better than straining and potentially damaging your stitches. You can buy similar thing called Dulcobalance over the counter at pharmacy, but make sure you check with doc first.

Since going to the bathroom on Friday I feel a different person. I can walk around so much better and bend over, I'm not so tender everywhere and feeling of pressure and bearing down has gone. Kicking is still frequent but much less painful I imagine because there is a bit more room in there! Its worth checking it out.

You may also be suffering from an Irritable Uterus which means it is being sensitive and contracting, you should def discuss this with your doc, I am taking Indometacin to help with this. There are risks involved obviously with taking anything but you would be closely monitored.

As with anything don't hesitate to go back to the hospital they wont think you're making a fuss, and dont be embarassed they are there to help you.

Re your husband, just like mine they cant help but worry for us, in all our eleven years together I have only seen my husband have tears once. Whilst I was in hosp after my stitch, he said going home without me and wondering if we'd be ok was the hardest thing. Let your husband support you at this time, we all put on a brave face but the unknown is scary. Thank goodness we have such lovely partners that care for us.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need anything at all, am keeping all crossed for you.

I hope you feel better soon darling and keep resting

M x

hey hun, hope those pains settle down for you =( each day u get through the closer u are to being viable and once u start going 25-26-27 weeks u will feel better and better.keep ur feet up always there is no need to risk it if u can then do it!my cervix lengthened from 28mm to 33mm purely from bed rest and progesterone.so the less pressure you allow onto ur cervix the better your chances will be..
i have made it to 27weeks with no stitch(cervix was shortening with funneling membranes at 19+5) but my cervix is getting shorter again..i am praying i make it to 33 weeks when i get my steroids and then after then i am not too concerned the doc is stopping the progesterone and nifedipine at that stage and will section me if labour comes..
keep us updated.xo

Hi everyone

Just thought I'd let you know I had my follow up consultation with consultant today. Have made it to 28 weeks!

They checked the baby and she is now 3 lbs and 1 oz which is terrific news (they've pretty much decided that I am probably a week or more further along than my due date was thought to be), all blood flow to uterus etc now normal and contractions under control. They didn't check cervix but as she's still in there, the stitch is obviously doing its job. I am still showing high markers for pre-eclampsia (even though my blood pressure is low 100/58 they still seem to think I'm at high risk) so will have to keep up checks for that at GP. Constipation is also more or less under control (if going once a week counts!) with help of the Macrogol.

Next stop is 32 weeks and re-evaluate then but both baby and I showing no adverse effects re medication and all is going well. If I'm still going at 37 weeks they will take the stitch out then, but meanwhile I am told that if I have any contractions that seem to be regular I need to get to nearest hospital where they can confirm if they are Braxton Hicks or the real thing, as emergency removal of stitch is essential if cervix is trying to open (daren't even think about that!!).

Such a relief to have some good news!!! Finally I can have a more exciting life than lying in bed or shuffling round Waitrose, though he has made me promise not to exert myself. No strenuous exercise (shame!), no energetic walking or dashing about and worst of all no holiday!

I hope everyone else is doing well and that babies are all still in the right place, please let me know how you all are.

Best wishes
M x

thanks for the update..Its encouraging to hear..Im still hanging int here..just made it to 23 weeks. Baby is still inside..moving alot though and sometiems scare me as I feel the kicks on my cercix. Had an appointment with doctor today but they got my dates mixed up and doctor wasnt even at the hospital. I was a bit upset because I want to knwo if everything is okay. I have put myself on mildbedrest though..because I dont want to take any chances. They took her heartbeat and said that she was very active (as usual) and that heartbeat was fine so sent me on my way...WHAT..no scan..no measurement..oh well..I have an appointment with my consultant on 21 september so guess I will have to wait until then. I will be 24w 3d by then so hoping that contractions or anything comes before that...

Keeping up with you all, and so happy to see that everyone is hanging in there. Keep resting as much as possible - and avoid the "waitrose shuffling" altogether - online shopping only!!! (Consider yourselves told off ;)).

Keep baking lovely ladies - you're all doing brilliantly xxx

does anyone know if it is okay to have a bath with the stitch..I use to have a bath everynight and I really miss it..Im also having some pains due to trapped gas and a little bit of cramping and wanted a bath but I wasnt sure if it was okay..what do you girls think?

Avoid baths hun - probably ok, but I stopped after the stitch due to small risk of infection. Water acts as a douche and can flush bugs up inside. Call me paranoid, but I risked nothing after my preemie experience xxx

Im beside myself. Today was my 20 week and we learned it was a healthy boy. We also learned I have a very short cervix. They only checked because I had bleeding last week after sex and they were looking for all possible causes other than just an irritable cervix.
On strict bed rest with a toddler of 22 months. He was full term and never an indication of this problem then. Now, no funnelling, no dialation as cervix is closed.
Do I have a chance? Any reassurance out there? I am needing any advice as I am feeling about to lose my mind.

hang in there mich...we are in the same situation...I got the same news at my20 w scan..except I dont have a toddler at home. Im almost at 24 weeks and haning in there...we can do it..just take it easy and stay on the lounge or in the bed..get some help for the little one running around!:hugs:

Knowing you are there too helps a lot. Im scared and it seems you are all handling this with such positive thoughts. It is inspiring. Just cant see any positives in my situation yet. 1.4 at 20 weeks and my docs feel a cerclage is too risky. How do I have a chance? Meeting with another doc tomorrow.

Cerclage is most definitely NOT too risky hun. If your cervix is closed with no funneling, then a stitch is a very good idea - you are a perfect candidate for one.

I had one placed with a dilated cervix and bulging membranes - it only maintained the pregnancy for another week, but my doc was still willing to give it a go. As you have seen there are many, many women who have dilated cervixes and have emergency stitches, then go on to deliver near term.

Get a second opinion, and in the meantime try to stay off your feet. You may of course have a naturally short cervix which holds out just fine anyway, but better to be safe than sorry my sweet xxx

lizzy is right...
get a second opinon and in the mean time ask for progestrone..thats what I would do..I made them give me both..just in case

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->